Remember the day you said enough is enough?????

Options
15678911»

Replies

• aybee77
    aybee77 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My most recent turning point was December 2010. We had our company Christmas party. While we were eating they showed pictures of us in team morale events for the year. I saw the pictures of myself and felt that I looked huge.
  • ljb82
    ljb82 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    For as long as I can remember I have been overweight; morbidly obese to be exact. I can remember seeing those words on a doctors report in '88, when sent to Halifax when I was pregnant for my daughter; seeing that word was a shock to me, obese was bad enough, but seeing "morbidly" attatched was an OMG. You would think that would have been a wake up call I needed, but no.

In '88 my daughter passed away from SIDS. With numerous failed attempts with diets over the years, my bad habits and emotional eating continued. The secret of how much I weighed to family and friends was kept, and at times even a secret from myself. When one doesn't fit into store bought clothes or can get on a normal scale, you build a life of hiding, avoid it, therefore the problem doesn't exist.

I ended in the hospital with a ruptured appendix that nearly killed me, (I was 445 lbs then) and subsequesnt appendectomy later in the fall of '86. It was late that fall that my brother told my mother how much I weighed, he had heard it (as well as other stories the surgeon boasted of) around the supper table at his friends house. The friend's mom was a surgical nurse in the OR where I had had my surgery. I wrote the hospital, and never heard anything back. My faith in doctors needless to say diminished.

In "92 I was rushed into emergency surgery for what they thought an incarcerated hernia, but when opened up, found a very large abcess, which remained open to heal. I was in the hospital 10 weeks... then my father passed away and I then was let out and went back to emerge daily for dressing changes. Still had a hernia. I had lost some weight in the following year...but as always gained what I had lost and then some.

In September of 2009 I reached my biggest. The exact weight I am not sure, but looking back I would have to say I was at least 550 pounds, if not more. Being laid off in January and having been in emergency the day before with pain due to the hernia; it was revealed that my gut was fully outside my abdominal wall. The doctor had told me that if I was to be rushed into emerge with a perforation, they would be able to open me up but not close me. So elective surgery was a must and he would put a referral into Dr Klassin in Halifax to see me. My health was in bad need of a turn around. I went home, got on my diabetic diet, watched my bloodsugars, took my insulin, and then after a month of not hearing anything I called the doctors office. I inquired of the referral, of which I got the run around, and in throwing a fit finally got a response that they would call Dr Klassins office for I wasn't allowed. I never heard back. and being fed up, gave up and began to eat whatever i wanted once again.

On Sept 25th 2009 my life changed. A wake up call on health issues that will forever be burned in my memory. My husband of 25 years was diagnosed with High Blood pressure, High Cholesterol, Diabetes and Penile cancer. He had an immediate amputation. Lymphadenectomy followed, he then had a heart attack, went into cardiac arrest, paddled back, heart cath/stent put in, genital edema, subsequent surgury for what they thought a perineal abcess but found to be a reoccurring tumor of the kind before and had mestates in the lungs. Curtis passed away July 14th, 2010.

In helping Curtis get his diet on track, diabetes & cholesterol controlled, I too hopped on the band wagon and have been on ever since. Eventhough I have had my moments, they are short lived for I am determined to keep this path I am on to a heathier me. In September '09 I was on 90 units of insulin in the am and 80 units at night. Today I am on 22 units in the am and 11 units at night, and am fitting into 3x clothes I can buy in a store!

I started seeing the doctor regularly the end of July, in which she got me into see Doctor Dzierzanowski who referred me to Dr Ellsmere.

Finally on Tuesday Feb 22nd I received a call from Dr.Ellsmere's office on Feb 24th.

Dr. Ellsmere said he would put me on the Weight Loss Program, and once 30 pounds down (was weighed in at 430lbs) I would have the first surgery so to lose weight. Then once down to 250 I would have a hernia repair. He said in two years I will have this fixed. I was to get the website url and read all I could, and Diane would call me with the date.

Well since then I have lost the 30 lbs the Dr wanted...and more. I am off blood pressure meds. Have done my 3 week trial liquid diet.. I walk daily and follow the plan. I have my first appointment with the Weight loss team next week.

It's been a rough few years and although my husband is no longer able to walk this journey of healthiness with me..i walk alone and will continue with it. .. Ive lost 175 pounds (if not more) so far and I will continue on this road to healthiness.

Wow! Reading your story is both inspirational and heartbreaking. Sorry to hear of your losses and challenges with weight. Just stay focused on what you have already accomplished (which is alot!!). and you will reach your goals. :)
  • rockonerin
    Options
    I don't remember my exact date but I will never forget the moment - sitting in my living room with my boyfriend, his best friend, his best friend's girlfriend and a bunch of other male friends. The friend's girlfriend was beautiful, don't get me wrong, but just as DUMB as a box of rocks! Everything was "Oh my gawdddd-a!" and "WOW!! Me tooooo-a!". The other male friends were MESMERIZED. The fact that she had nothing to add to the conversation but a toss of her hair or a giggle was apparently of no concern.

I sat there and thought "Damn, if this hot, stupid b*tch can get so much attention, think of what I can do being smart AND beautiful." :)
  • iHEARTcardiacnurses
    iHEARTcardiacnurses Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    May 27th, 2011 I realized that it had been five years since I was raped and was finally healing enough to be able to look myself in the eyes in the mirror. I spent five years feeling less than human. Fast Forward to September 22rd, 2011. I had done every diet that was available aside from surgery (Atkins, South Beach, WW, Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem, Grapefruit, Cabbage Soup, etc etc). It was the day before my birthday and I sent that *kitten* who hurt me to prison. September 23rd, 2011 I turned 23 and I told myself that if I didn't lose the weight that was my shield against that *kitten*, then I'd get gastric bypass. I'm scared of surgery so I started September 27th 2011 and here I am :smile: Winning myself back with every pound.
  • speedycakes
    speedycakes Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    2005 I'm not sure the exact date. I was 15 years old 5'8 and just hit 180 pounds. I had to change something before i entered the 200 realm. I got down to 135 in 2 years, could have been faster but I didn't try that hard. Now back up to 150 after a recent move looking to lose just a bit more.
  • rockonerin
    Options
    May 27th, 2011 I realized that it had been five years since I was raped and was finally healing enough to be able to look myself in the eyes in the mirror. I spent five years feeling less than human. Fast Forward to September 22rd, 2011. I had done every diet that was available aside from surgery (Atkins, South Beach, WW, Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem, Grapefruit, Cabbage Soup, etc etc). It was the day before my birthday and I sent that *kitten* who hurt me to prison. September 23rd, 2011 I turned 23 and I told myself that if I didn't lose the weight that was my shield against that *kitten*, then I'd get gastric bypass. I'm scared of surgery so I started September 27th 2011 and here I am :smile: Winning myself back with every pound.

Wow, incredible story. Congratulations on your personal successes and seeking justice!! :)
  • StaceG1986
    Options
    The end of January 2010, looking at old/recent pictures of me and just feeling disgusted, and from getting out of breath even just moving about in the bath! Disgusting! :noway:

I joined here on the 29th Jan 2010!
  • kagenw
    kagenw Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    10/12/2011

My wife had just finished her weight loss kick and was feeling really good...at least enough to hold a mini intervention between the two of us. I have struggled with a bulging waistline for more than 6 years and knew I had to lose weight, but wasn't entirely ready to do it wholeheartedly.
    For some reason, this time I actually decided to make the change. With the back pain i'd been feeling for months, the threat of Diabetes, and the lethargy I'd been feeling, it wasn't hard to make the decision. So, knowing that I needed to make a change in my diet to be able to make a difference, I asked a coworker to tell me of a website where I could track the amount of calories I was eating. Well, long story short, I found MFP and got so much more than a diet log. This site has probably had the biggest effect on my weight loss than anything else I've ever done. I'm now at a weight level than I haven't been at for nearly 6 years.
  • NJBialek
    Options
    4th June 2011 I weighed 20 stone (280 pounds). I felt ill, couldn't sleep comfortably, suffering from aches and pains attributed to being overweight. Six months on I weigh 14 stone 10 pounds (206 pounds) and feel a lot better.
  • SmallerBecky
    Options
    I don't have a specific day. I have been up and down the same 15 lbs in the past six years and 15 more than that for another four or five years before. A lot of people would never call me "overweight" and compared to the people around me, I was always "the skinny one" so I kind of skated through for a long time. I actually thought I looked pretty good most of the time. And I have always had spurts where I would be very active and conscious of being fit and then periods of 3-6 months where I would slack off or had a lot going on, stressing me out. The timeS that got to me were when I would see a particularly bad angle of myself in the car's side mirror (my belly and arms) or when trying to get dressed for a nicer occasion. I've REALLY hated buying clothes for the past two years! So I've mostly just worn the same old T-shirts and jeans for a long time, especially since I don't work outside the home. I've just hated getting dressed. The love handles, the flab on the arms...I just about started crying in some fitting rooms and left without buying anything. This summer I finally went to the beach a lot after having two little ones and not going for about four or five summers in a row, and I was completely disgusted trying to find a swimsuit that fit. I wouldn't even wear a suit to the lakes nearby; I sat on the grass wearing clothes and watched my kids play in the water. I would only wear a suit and get in the water at the BIG lake (Lake Michigan) because people could spread out far enough from each other there and I felt I no one could get a really good look at me...and if they did, who cares because they were most likely people I did not know, since I was far enough from home!

To be honest, I think the only difference this time, what will make it stick, is that I'm finally done having kids and they are easier to care for (more independent) and my teen daughter has stopped getting into so much trouble. It's the circumstances. Yes, I can honestly say that what fouled me up every time before was that I let obstacles get in my way. I got absorbed in the problems that were going on around me. I would be lying if I said that if something very time and attention-consuming came up, I wouldn't start to slip. I think that is a very big issue with moms especially. We are just geared towards taking care of everyone else first. In fact, it's sad, but how many of us look at a mother who is fit and wonder how much of her children's attention is being sacrificed for her to look that way? :( It's still something I struggle with. I have to remind myself often that a fit, healthy mom is much better for her kids than a mom who is always tired and crabby and depressed from not being her best physically. Besides, I work out when my younger two are sleeping and my older two are doing their own things (iPods, hanging out at friends' houses, playing on the computer, watching movies). It's one hour a day, and they don't even miss me! :)

I think the final straw in really committing to this, this time, though, was that over the past year I have thought more and more about how much better everyone COULD be in every aspect of their lives. I have been disappointed in the people around me for various reasons, and I realized that the ONLY thing I could do about it all was to make sure I do MY best and set a good example! I'm not just trying to get down to "X lbs." I am eating what my body needs to function and perform a good workout and stay mentally sharp, I'm exercising to a degree that makes me sleep and feel better every day and keeps me from catching all the germs around me, and I'm feeling happy about my accomplishments!

Sorry for the book! LOL
  • Birdy
    Birdy Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My day is today 1-2-12. I'm 41 years old, 5'4" , small-framed and am sure I'm over 160lbs - the heaviest of my life. I don't weigh myself anymore because it makes me feel worse than I already do. I can't wear any of my clothes comfortably. I really miss looking forward to getting dressed in the morning. These days I just want to stay in my pj's. I have been steadily gaining weight over the last 8 years due to work stress, losses in my family, depression and general uncertainties. I am in a better place mentally and emotionally now, so it is time to end the hopeless way I approach food and exercise.

I am taking pictures today. Next year at this time I hope to post my "after" pictures at my goal weight of 125lbs. The successes of many of you give me hope.

Thank you!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!