How do I lower my bra size?

Options
I know this sounds odd, but when I do work outs and actually loose weight, my cup size just gets bigger. Right now I range from a 38-40H.. I normally wear baggy clothes, but when I wear shirts that shape to my figure, I have people tell me that I am not as big as I look, because of my chest size. Any suggestions? I know some weight lifting will help, but what types?

Replies

• kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Cardio, cardio burns the most fat and muscle helps burn more fat. I'd focus on cardio at least 5-6 days a week for at least 45 minutes a day and some type of weight/resistance training 3 times a week, every other day.

I went from a 44 DD to 38 C with 6 days a week of cardio and resistance training 2 -3 times a week (plus dropped 2 - 3 pant sizes and 2 shirt sizes).
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    That's a LOADED question, lady. Not much use for you in the bra size department, but I can say that working your upper body will tone you and give you a more uniform look (if that seems to be the issue).

Cardio need not be done 5-6 times a week! I do moderate cardio (an extended 45 minute session at 70-80% of my max heart rate) twice a week. However, I always do about 20 minutes of moderate cardio (also 70-80% of my max heart rate) right after finishing a weight training session. When weight train, you burn all of the energy your body has stored in your muscles. After that stored energy has been all used up, your muscles are now glycogen (energy) depleted. By doing cardio when your muscles are glycogen depleted, they no longer can use the energy they had stored in them, so now they will resort to burning body fat. Cardio is great, but lifting weights will help you get in AMAZING shape, not just a small, flabbier version of yourself. No, lifting weights will not cause you to bulk up unless you are eating too much.

Don't be afraid to lift heavy weights, either. Women are not relegated to lifting light for many repetitions. That's old school and isn't really effective. I recommend searching for workout programs on www.bodybuilding.com or www.exrx.net . Also, a lot of women on this site have mention a book called The New Rules of Lifting for Women (http://www.thenewrulesoflifting.com/nrol-for-women) which goes into detail how women can lift HEAVY for FEWER repetitions and get great results. Good luck and start lifting!!! You won't ever go back! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • madisonsteelex
    Options
    I was a 36-38DD and last year i lost 36 lbs and now I am a 46C-34D
    Losing fat is the only way to really lower your bra size, there is no specific way to do it. It should come along with fat loss... but really, it took like 25 lbs loss at least for me to realize my breasts were getting a LITTLE smaller.
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Priincess_Natalie Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Make sure you get professionally sized so that your bra fits you properly. A poorly fitted bra can add pounds to your appearance. Also, weight loss will help shrink the bust line. As you lose weight make sure to go back and get resized. You will surely lose weight in your band size (the number) and then may even lose some in your cup size (the letter).

You may also want to look into getting a minimizer bra. I know Bali makes a good one and I'm sure other brands as well.

Just an FYI: MOST women are wearing the wrong sized bra and not by a little...by a LOT.

Oh, and don't get sized at VS. They suck at it.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Make sure you get professionally sized so that your bra fits you properly. A poorly fitted bra can add pounds to your appearance. Also, weight loss will help shrink the bust line. As you lose weight make sure to go back and get resized. You will surely lose weight in your band size (the number) and then may even lose some in your cup size (the letter).

You may also want to look into getting a minimizer bra. I know Bali makes a good one and I'm sure other brands as well.

Just an FYI: MOST women are wearing the wrong sized bra and not by a little...by a LOT.

^^^THIS!! So true.
  • TNGirlyGirl
    TNGirlyGirl Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Cardio will burn fat... fat will disappear from all over. In my case, I lost everywhere else first, then started losing in my chest. I had lost nearly 50 lbs before "the girls" started to get smaller -- and then it seemed like I dropped two sizes practically overnight!! I started out as a 42DD -- I'm now a happy 36/38D.

Mostly I do cardio, since I'm still trying to burn as much fat as possible, but I do lift light weights/ strength train. I plan on adding heavier weights in the next few weeks since I'm within 15-20 lbs of goal.
  • mugsisme
    mugsisme Posts: 127 Member
    Options

^^^THIS!! So true.

ITA!!!! Go to a shop that only does bras, a specialty shop. If you live in NY, there is a great store in Manhattan that does fittings. I was wearing a 38d when I walked and came out with a 34DD. Also, splurge and buy the good bras. I only buy Wacoal. (Not for exercising.) They fit so much better, but you must try on every single bra, even when you know your size. Even within the same brand, they run different. I can not wear a padded, tee shirt bra. They look awful on me and fit terribly.

My size went down as I lost weight.
  • cryspetstalerson
    Options
    I have been professionally fit. LOL, I know this all too well as at I have been a bra fit expert for both Macy's and Fredericks :) Was recently refitted at Lane Bryant.
  • cryspetstalerson
    Options

^^^THIS!! So true.

ITA!!!! Go to a shop that only does bras, a specialty shop. If you live in NY, there is a great store in Manhattan that does fittings. I was wearing a 38d when I walked and came out with a 34DD. Also, splurge and buy the good bras. I only buy Wacoal. (Not for exercising.) They fit so much better, but you must try on every single bra, even when you know your size. Even within the same brand, they run different. I can not wear a padded, tee shirt bra. They look awful on me and fit terribly.

My size went down as I lost weight.

I have been professionally fit. LOL, I know this all too well as at I have been a bra fit expert for both Macy's and Fredericks :) Was recently refitted at Lane Bryant. I did this for a few years. I guess I should have mentioned that but I didn't know anyone would suggest that. I have done work outs and the smaller my waist gets the bigger my boobs get. For me I think it might just be how I am. My aunt had the same issue, and ended up having to get a breast reduction. I have always had a big chest. In high school, even being thin I was a 36F. They aren't the funnest things to have.

My bras cost about $50 and I have used wacoal in the past, but it's hard to find a size H in the stores, and Lane Bryant has some really great ones that work very well for me. When I worked as a bra fitter, it was easier b/c I was always getting free bras. lol
  • cryspetstalerson
    Options

LOL VS does suck at it , I worked for one of their competitors lol, and when I was a size F, they didn't think that was a real bra size....
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Stay away from Soy!
    The hormone in it can cause your boobs to get bigger.
  • cryspetstalerson
    Options
    Cardio will burn fat... fat will disappear from all over. In my case, I lost everywhere else first, then started losing in my chest. I had lost nearly 50 lbs before "the girls" started to get smaller -- and then it seemed like I dropped two sizes practically overnight!! I started out as a 42DD -- I'm now a happy 36/38D.

Mostly I do cardio, since I'm still trying to burn as much fat as possible, but I do lift light weights/ strength train. I plan on adding heavier weights in the next few weeks since I'm within 15-20 lbs of goal.

Maybe my body is the same way. I lose from my waist so maybe if I keep doing it, my bra size will go down.
  • cryspetstalerson
    Options
    Stay away from Soy!

That is very interesting.
  • getfitnfab
    getfitnfab Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 2

A 32 GG

So I understand

My band size I am happy with, I need to reduce my cup size

In 3 years lost 20 pounds

I am hoping my last 25 pounds will reduce boobs

My doc says my breasts must weigh 10 pounds total

Will consider breast reduction if cups don't reduce once weight is lost
  • cryspetstalerson
    Options
    I am 5' 2

A 32 GG

So I understand

My band size I am happy with, I need to reduce my cup size

In 3 years lost 20 pounds

I am hoping my last 25 pounds will reduce boobs

My doc says my breasts must weigh 10 pounds total

Will consider breast reduction if cups don't reduce once weight is lost

Yeah, lol reducing cup size would be a great thing. I bet your back kills you!!! I wish you luck. Reduction is my last resort as well...
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Losing fat is the only way to really lower your bra size, there is no specific way to do it. It should come along with fat loss... but really, it took like 25 lbs loss at least for me to realize my breasts were getting a LITTLE smaller.

This.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds odd, but when I do work outs and actually loose weight, my cup size just gets bigger. Right now I range from a 38-40H.. I normally wear baggy clothes, but when I wear shirts that shape to my figure, I have people tell me that I am not as big as I look, because of my chest size. Any suggestions? I know some weight lifting will help, but what types?

It sounds like you have breasts that are made up mostly of mammary gland tissue and not fat. I have the same issue.

Besides surgery, there's really nothing you can do about it.
  • happy_jax
    happy_jax Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Stay away from Soy!

Haha...I wish this was true! I used to work at Starbucks when I was at University and suffered years of having my lattes with Soy milk (which I hate! Bleugh!) because someone told me this... Still looked like a pre-teen in the boob-department.
  • jgoatgirl
    jgoatgirl Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Stay away from Soy!

Shinanigans.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Stay away from Soy!
    I started drinking soy milk and eating tofu years ago. It made no difference in my breast size. And they were big before I ever let any soy pass my lips.

The soy thing is only an issue if you have a high risk of breast cancer, but it doesn't make your breasts GROW. It also is debated and unconfirmed whether it is a factor in breast cancer.

EDIT -- I'm now thinking this was a joke? If so, never mind. But if not, well ... ;-)