How do I phase out the sugar in my coffee?

Options

Replies

• raggedyangst
    Options
    I love the Torani sugar-free French Vanilla coffee syrup. Tastes great. It's a Splenda product, so some may not want to use it, but I even use it to sweeten my plain non-fat Greek yogurt. And there are lots of sugar-free coffee syrups to choose from.
  • byou412
    Options
    I didn't like the Splenda in my coffee, but the sweet n low, was a lot better. Splenda just doesn't seem to make it sweet enough. Although I have tried the splenda for coffee, i found them once in mocha and it was pretty good.
  • spyork
    spyork Posts: 187
    Options
    Sugar is a natural product why do you want to use a chemical substitute in the first place? If you want to stop having sugar in your coffee go cold turkey, i did by mistake one very early morning and then couldn't stand the taste of sugar after that!
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    You've answered your own question in the question - just phase it out! If you take one teaspoon, go for 3/4 a teaspoon for a bit, then, half, then a 1/4 etc.

I wouldn't bother with artificial sweetners or thing like honey (just as calorific, why would you bother?).

But if you really like sweet coffee then just log it and move on. One teaspoon of sugar doesn't have many calories...
  • catbrand
    catbrand Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Another vote for cold turkey here. I did it with tea, you get used to it quickly enough.
  • TNTwedell
    TNTwedell Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I just did this. I used to be a huge vanilla latte person - but its expensive AND tons of wasted calories.
    I personally had to ween myself off but SO GLAD I did
    I cut everything in half (milk & flavor) for a few weeks and then cut again. I've been drinking my espresso straight for the last few months & I quite honestly, cant stand the flavory/milky drinks anymore. too rich!
    crazy how we can change things - wish I could ween myself off of french fries ;)
    good luck
  • eacatterton
    eacatterton Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I recently started using Susta, as I along with everyone else wanted to reduce my sugar intake. It has no chemicals or bitter after taste. I use it in my coffee and tea. Here is a link to their website, but I bought mine at Ingles - a local grocery. I decided to try it because it was on sale. Good luck!! http://www.sustastore.com/faqs.html
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    like others said; try truvia! No chemically yuck taste like splenda.

Tastes just as chemically yucky to me. Even if it is purportedly a "natural" substance...
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I started brewing our coffee with cinnamon in it. You put it in the filter before the grounds. I went from about 2 teaspoons to a 1/2 teaspoon for a mug of coffee!
  • G30Grrl
    G30Grrl Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I like truvia, but wanted to get off of that too (so I wasn't craving sweetness), so I started using heavy whipping cream in my coffee. A little bit of that totally cuts the bitterness I was trying to cover up with the sugar, and I don't need any sweetener at all!
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I don't like anything artificial so the way I worked around that one was buying 'flavored' coffee. My favorite is 'French Vanilla'. You do have to adjust to the change and accept the new form. You just can't get away from that but you will grow fond of it. I promise. Coffee is too delicious... even black!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    like others said; try truvia! No chemically yuck taste like splenda.

Tastes just as chemically yucky to me. Even if it is purportedly a "natural" substance...

Stevia itself is pretty natural, I grow it in my garden. Doesn't get much more natural than that.

That said truvia/purevia stevia in the raw (the "cup for cup" alternatives to sugar are bulked up with stuff that isn't stevia

I used to take sugar and creamer in my coffee but realized when I went with black coffee and the right roast (none of those pre-ground cans for me) I didn't need the sweeteners or cream.

So consider trying some different roasts, you may find one you like the taste of it enough.
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I hate how fake sweeteners taste and also tuvia or w/e ew. I went from white sugar to brown sugar to just milk to less milk to soy milk lol baby steps
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,972 Member
    Options
    Why learn to love a chemical additive?

I switched to black coffee with no sugar by starting out drinking my coffee with something a little sweet like whole wheat toast with a little jam or honey. Just make sure that sweet thing isn't a million calories or bad for you. Now, I love my plain black coffee.:drinker:
  • shanghaifanny
    Options
    I used to drink six teaspoons of sugar in my coffee. I can hardly believe that I did that.
    My ex once suggested that I learn to drink coffee black -- and learn to love the taste of real unadulterated coffee.
    I thought he was nuts -- but I tried it.
    I've never looked back. It's been nearly 30 years! I learned to love the rich coffeeeee-ness of coffee.
    You might give it a try. I drink less coffee because of it.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Why not just try phasing sugar out completely and going to black coffee instead? Just slowly use less and less sugar.

If you really want to switch to something artificial do the same thing. Slowly use less sugar and more of the artificial stuff until it's all artificial. If you do it slow enough you won't even notice the difference.

I honestly prefer nice black coffee. But the quality of the coffee starts to make a difference. When you add sugar you just taste sugar and have no idea what coffee tastes like. Find a GOOD QUALITY coffee (preferably beans and grind right before you brew the coffee) or try a flavoured coffee like French vanilla coffee grinds and learn to love coffee.

I, in general, prefer to avoid as much artificial crap as possible.
  • mello
    mello Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I posted nearly the same topic last week, I too was drinking lots of sugar between real sugar and my liquid creamers. I rec'd lots of great ideas and the one I've been working on and using since last week is weaning myself. I dropped the liquid creamer totally and that right there dropped 6 grams of sugar from my daily totals. Then I'm down to 1 tsp of sugar from a tbl. I bought a flavored coffee to get my flavoring from that. Its a change, but with each cup I drink in the mornings it's getting better and better tasting. Strange thing, I'm actually tasting the coffee, not the sugar!!

Good Luck with whatever you end up trying!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I slowly started reducing the amount I used in my coffee until I got to the point where I don't use it at all anymore. I just have some half and half and that's it. I don't like coffee with sweetener anymore. If you decide to do it this way just go slowly and reduce the amount every few days until you can go without it. You will get used to it and probably come to prefer it.
  • Akahime
    Akahime Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Another vote for taking your coffee black here. Try flavored or good quality coffee, fresh ground if available. It tastes way better than the usual supermarket fare. Artificial sweeteners are just as bad as regular sugar is for you if not worse. Cinnamon is a very good alternative but if you must sweeten it agave nectar, pure maple syrup or honey are the best options.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I vote for just going for black coffee cold turkey. You probably will hate it for a few days but after that you're good.