Easy Lunch Ideas

Options
2»

Replies

• kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Cilantro is a leafy herb that is popular in Mexican and Thai cooking. If you've had guacamole or pad thai, you've probably tried cilantro. It looks like parsley, but has a stronger, more distinct flavor. In my community, Cilantro is very easy to find, and always located with the fresh lettuces at the store. Depening on where you live, you may have to go to a specialty market to get it.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    cilantro = coriander leaves

Pam
    what is " cilantro "?
    and is a salad healthy?
    and i have been hearing alot about greek yogart? is it a special kind?
    SO SORRY BUT I'M NEW TO ALL THIS, THANKS FOR ALL HELP IN ADVANCE!!
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I almost always have leftovers for lunch, rather than something new. If there are no good leftovers, quinoa and frozen vegetables, maybe with some chili sauce and tofu.

Pam
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    green giant frozen veggie blends, one package is 2 servings but I usually use the entire package and one can of swanson white premium chicken chunks.... you can grab them both in the morning and at lunch time, heat everything in the microwave and throw in a bowl together...less than 200 calories and always fills me up. the veggies are seasoned, I like the antioxidant blend or the healthy weight, so they aren't bland.
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I sometimes bring in leftovers or will fix a batch of soup and portion it out, then just grab a container every morning.

Most of the time though, every Monday I bring in a package of wraps/low-cal grain bread/low-carb tortillas, a container of turkey breast, a container of spinach leaves, a bottle of mustard, and a bunch of Greek yogurts. I leave this in the fridge all week at work and just assemble my lunch every day.
  • MdmAcolyte
    MdmAcolyte Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I really like the idea of packing lunch box "fixings" for a week ~ so Im gonna try that one! Thanks for the suggestion!!
  • jackieb79
    Options
    I do this too. Once I have made a couple of soups and frozen individual portions, I just grab whatever kind I feel like that day, and microwave it at lunch time. Chicken and vegetable soup with orzo, mexican black bean soup. Thai sweet potato soup, butternut squash soup, etc. lots of different options out there. It is so worth making your own stock, but if you can't then buy the reduced or sodium free broths at the grocery store.

Be careful with canned or prepackaged soups. They usually have a ton of sodium, even the low fat varieties. You are much better off making your own soup, and it will taste way better made from scratch.
    I like to make a big batch of soup on the weekends and put into individual take along bowls. Grab and go!

I also make my own stock to cut down on sodium.
  • keiraannemorgan
    Options
    I also love quinoa! One thing I do to add flavour is buy a very low-fat coconut milk and cook the quinoa in 50% water and 50% coconut milk. It's amazing!
    All of your ideas are great!

I am a huge fan of quinoa! You can get it at Costco wholesale for a great price.

I love to make it plain and simple- just boil the grain in water and follow the directions for cooking time, etc. Even though it says to make it with broth, I don't . And, you really don't need to.

Since it is such an absorbent grain, whatever you add to it gets infused into the grain.

I like to take a small bowl and put quinoa on the bottom, sauteed veggies on top, and cubed chicken breast on that. If I am feeling saucy I add Frank's Red Hot sauce! It's a yummy bowl that's clean eating and full of protein!
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    bump ;)_
  • robinreed10
    Options
    I have this same problem! Today I had an AMAZING lunch ( I made it at home but believe you could do it at work) I used one of the small packs of tuna. I but one boiled egg in it and chopped up some squash. Instead of mayo, I used spicy brown mustard. I added about a teaspoon of relish. Then I put about 1/2 a cup of spinach on a plate with sliced tomato sprinkled a little parmasean cheese and topped it with my tuna. I had baby carrots ont he side that I dipped in the tuna! I was thinking about having it for dinner too...but figure thats probably not a good idea because of the mercury in it.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    1. leftovers

2. salad (bring a separate container for your dressing): leftover meats, veggies cooked or raw and even some starches: potatoes, rice

3. DIY sandwich/wrap: i like to bring all of my ingredients to make a sandwich
    a. bag of mixed greens or arugula
    b. jarred roasted red peppers (these keep forever)
    c. hummus or tapenade (lasts for 1 week or more. tapenade is pretty much forever)
    d. pita or flatbread (lasts at lease 2 weeks in the fridge)
    e. leftover protein from dinner (or deli meat)
    f. Chopped salad (cucumbers, carrots, fennel, celery, chickpeas, parsley in a vinaigrette) keep easily for a few days even with dressing or make a coleslaw with a vinaigrette

4. I make soup occasionally and freeze it: lentil w/ sausage and brown rice, curried lentils, minestrone, beef stew, chicken or beef curry. When desperate you can take it out and eat up.

5. I have a few go to frozen favorites: Amy's veggie lasagna, kashi meals, kettle cuisine meals. These are healthy, preservative-free and hearty

6. DIY lunchable: crackers, cheese, chopped veggies, olives, nuts, dip (hummus, diy yogurt dip), a few pieces of salami or chicken or nitrate free deli-meat. This will also have your snacks for the day!

7. english muffin or flatbread pizzas. You can easily make these ahear of time and freeze. Take your "bread" brush the top with a little bit of olive oil, add tomato paste, italian seasoning and garlic powder with fresh ground pepper and crushed peppers. Add all of your favorite veggies (you may want to blanch them first if you want them to be more "cooked." Season with a bit more salt and pepper. Top with a bit of cheese, mostly something strongly flavored. Lie flat until they completely freeze, then place into individual serving sizes. At lunch, throw it in the toaster oven until hot, crispy and melted.

I also like to store some salad dressing and a few condiments in the fridge just in case.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Another easy item is what I will call a Mediterranean bowl. Easy to make with pantry or freezer staples.
    1. make a lemon vinaigrette: juice of one lemon, finely chopped onion or garlic, 1 tbs of whole grain mustard, 2 tbs of olive oil
    2. Take 1 cup of frozen artichoke hearts, 1 chopped roasted red pepper, 1 cup of chickpeas, 2 cups of fresh spinach or i cup of cooked greens. Optional: chopped parsley, chopped olives, capers, leftover chicken or fish. Microwave for a minute or two and top with some of the dressing. You can add bulgur, couscous or quinoa for a grain. Also, chopped tomatos, fennel, squash, or cucumber is a good addition.
  • DANCERPURPLE
    DANCERPURPLE Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I usually bring leftovers from the night before. I purposely make enough for 4 servings so my husband and I get two meals out of what I make. So today I had a burger-no bun and then I made a quick salad of mixed greens with cherry tomatoes and peppadeux peppers with Newman's Own Light Balsamic.

My standby if I'm running late and don't have leftovers is tuna salad. I dollop a tablespoon of light miracle whip and pickle relish in a container and then throw 2 packs of low sodium starkist tuna in my bag. I mix it up at work. If I happen to have a boiled egg I'll throw that in too!

Another great option is rotisserie chicken. Chop it up into servings and grab and go with it.

For veggie alternatives how about cutting up a bunch on Sunday and then putting in a ziplock and taking a small tub of hummus to dip in.

That's what I can think of off the top of my head. Hope they help!