(Real) Football Predictions?

Options

Replies

• LMHinson15
    LMHinson15 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I know darn good and well that Soccer is the "real" football... in reality calling AF "foot"ball doesn't make a ton of sense and I know how exhausting football/soccer is to do. Mad respect, and I apologize for the general cultural ignorance/self centeredness of the US in that regard... :grumble:
    Really? Americans are self-centered and ignorant because of the name of a sport? Really?

No, not at all. Sorry I wasn't clear. MANY people legitimately do NOT know that what we call Soccer is called Football EVERYWHERE ELSE. That's all I meant.

I'm not one to say the (American) Football is better or worse that "Soccer"... I don't know why one has to be better. I was just saying it's sad sometimes how much we don't know about anything else in the world.

That's all. No harm meant.
  • LMHinson15
    Options
    Wow... it's amazing how quickly people can jump to conclusions, and how nasty people can be just because they're safe and anonymous behind their computer keyboards.

many individuals, including many fine people here, are probably very culturally savvy... but generally... sorry, we just aren't as a society very aware of anything beyond our borders. Disagree if you like.

Chill out folks.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    SAINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

woot woot! and for the record, I'm not American...
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    MANY people legitimately do NOT know that what we call Soccer is called Football EVERYWHERE ELSE. That's all I meant.

I'm not one to say the (American) Football is better or worse that "Soccer"... I don't know why one has to be better. I was just saying it's sad sometimes how much we don't know about anything else in the world.

Any reason the average American should know anything about sports in other countries? I don't expect anyone in the UK or here to know much about the National League West division.

I, for one, am fascinated by foreign cultures. A lack of interest in the culture or goings-on of another country is not an indication of ignorance though. It may be a lack of interest, but not ignorance.
  • TheDoctor90
    TheDoctor90 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    MANY people legitimately do NOT know that what we call Soccer is called Football EVERYWHERE ELSE. That's all I meant.

Any reason the average American should know anything about sports in other countries? I don't expect anyone in the UK or here to know much about the National League West division.

I, for one, am fascinated by foreign cultures. A lack of interest in the culture or goings-on of another country is not an indication of ignorance though. It may be a lack of interest, but not ignorance.

To be fair, there is a bit of a difference between A National League West Division, and knowing that 'Soccer' is really 'Football', when almost the entire world plays it, including the US, on an international stage.
  • LMHinson15
    Options
    Any reason the average American should know anything about sports in other countries?

Probably not particularly. Just when people start spouting about "our football" is the "real" football it demonstrates (IMO) a real cultural ignorance... that's my point.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Last time I checked, they were both real, since they're not imaginary. Can't everyone just make their predictions and argue about which team is better without getting all stuck up and snotty?

P.S. You could also make a "group" if you want to exclude any particular type of people from your thread.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options

To be fair, there is a bit of a difference between A National League West Division, and knowing that 'Soccer' is really 'Football', when almost the entire world plays it, including the US, on an international stage.
    Keep in mind that most Americans don't give a damn about the sport, and hence, do not care what it's called anywhere. :laugh:
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    Any reason the average American should know anything about sports in other countries?
    Probably not particularly. Just when people start spouting about "our football" is the "real" football it demonstrates (IMO) a real cultural ignorance... that's my point.
    Note that that was coming from both sides of the argument. So, why bag on just the Americans?
  • LMHinson15
    Options
    Note that that was coming from both sides of the argument. So, why bag on just the Americans?

Because, even though I'm American, I think that "real" football is the one that actually uses feet the most and is played by 90% of the globe.

and I absolutely respect that you are completely free to disagree with me... I knew the apology would piss people off. It's not what I intended, but that doesn't make a difference to anyone.
  • MissO﹠A
    MissO﹠A Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    When I'm in the U.K., I call it a muffin. When I'm home in the U.S., I call it an English Muffin.

When I'm in Europe, I call it football. When I'm home in the U.S., I call it soccer.

When I watched American Football in Europe, I called it American football; when speaking to indignant people, I called it football to get a rise.

When I'm in Europe, I call some folks "f*cking c*ntbags"; when I'm at home in the U.S., I call those same folks "f*cking c*ntbags."

It's all about the context and the audience. By the way, my Norwich-supporting (bahahaha) hubs loves him some 'Da Bears.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    When I'm in the U.K., I call it a muffin. When I'm home in the U.S., I call it an English Muffin.

When I'm in Europe, I call it football. When I'm home in the U.S., I call it soccer.

When I watched American Football in Europe, I called it American football; when speaking to indignant people, I called it football to get a rise.

When I'm in Europe, I call some folks "f*cking c*ntbags"; when I'm at home in the U.S., I call those same folks "f*cking c*ntbags."

It's all about the context and the audience. By the way, my Norwich-supporting (bahahaha) hubs loves him some 'Da Bears.

i'm in love.
  • KateEMD
    KateEMD Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Steelers and Packers superbowl rematch

Yes! With the same outcome!

GO PACK GO!
  • Suzymo3
    Suzymo3 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting for Cam Newton to take the Panthers to the Super Bowl..........sometime in the future.....so, not too interested in the teams this year.
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Wow... it's amazing how quickly people can jump to conclusions, and how nasty people can be just because they're safe and anonymous behind their computer keyboards.

many individuals, including many fine people here, are probably very culturally savvy... but generally... sorry, we just aren't as a society very aware of anything beyond our borders. Disagree if you like.

Chill out folks.

Maybe you just interact with people who aren't very cultured. I have Canadian blood but I'd defend the US whether behind a computer or not. The people in the US who I choose to interact with are well educated and very culturally aware.
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Steelers and Packers superbowl rematch

^this with a Steeler victory this time around!!! GO STEELERS!
  • moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    have to say it's the GIANTS all the way!!!
  • compscidood
    Options
    I'm from the US but when I read the title of the topic, I immediately thought of football football, not American football. Anywho I think Everton has a shot in taking the whole thing. Now that I am off my acid trip, it's going to be a tight one between the two Manchesters. I can't wait for them to play in the 3rd round of the FA Cup!
  • JasonD334
    JasonD334 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Football predictions huh, well let me help you all out. I predict the Alabama Crimson Tide will win their 14th National Championship in less then a week. -- Regarding the one persons post about referring to "Football" as the sport in which people actually use their feet, my question is this... Are US players running on their hands, and kicking with their arms these days? I am pretty sure that all sports use their feet in some capacity, so why not call every sport football.

This is such a dumb topic to get pissy about....but I love it every time! RTR (That's Roll Tide Roll for my friends across the pond and/or in Big East /Big Ten country. I know that none of you are familiar with true college football greatness)
  • jlnk
    jlnk Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Last time I checked, they were both real, since they're not imaginary. Can't everyone just make their predictions and argue about which team is better without getting all stuck up and snotty?

P.S. You could also make a "group" if you want to exclude any particular type of people from your thread.

^^This!