IM NOT SAYING ITS A CURE!!!!!!!!!!.......BUT IT HELPED ME

Options

Replies

• monroe61
    monroe61 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Yay for sleeping better!! Congrats and you look fantastic your wife is very lucky :)
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    i have sleep apnea and use a c-pap machine. I was diagnosed almost 13 yrs. ago. I went years refusing to wear the mask, thinking I didn't need it. I ended up having a heart attack and they said the apnea had a lot to do with it. So, if you have sleep apnea make sure you get it diagnosed and, if you have to use a c-pap machine, use it.
  • elvb
    elvb Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!!
    My husband has issues sleeping and is overweight. I know losing weight will help him but he hasn't gotten on the wagon yet. :cry:
    Congratulations on your successes!!
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    wow you look so diff congrats to you!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    WOW - You look fantastic!

My Husband is diagnosed with "moderate" sleep apnea - he stops breathing 21 times in an hour. He is currently on a machine, but no meds.
    I'm hoping he will continue exercising 3 x a week and taking his nutrition seriously to help him drop weight - maybe eventually he can look as ripped as you!:bigsmile:
  • dirtbikegirl5
    dirtbikegirl5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    My husband has this. Very scary when you are listening to the one you love stop breathing in their sleep.
  • UpToTheChallenge
    Options
    you look AMAZING!

congratulations on all of your hard work, and I am glad that losing the weight helped with your sleep apnea!
  • nkosky
    nkosky Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! Wow! What an achievement! My hubbie also has sleep apnea, he has lost roughly 25-30 pounds since Jan 2011. HIs goal is another 30 this year! (He's Italian and Polish and LOVES his food!!) Weight lose is definately the key to helping this condition. He only wears his "Darth Vadar" mask when I nudge him!! Good luck on you continued success!!
  • prolifegirly
    Options
    Awesome job! Thanks for the info...my husband has always had the symtoms of obstructive sleep apnea throughout his time in the navy, but was never checked out until he got out and we moved to TX. He had 2 sleep studies done to confirm it (although I already knew having tried to sleep next to him...his snores would get louder...and louder...and then..nothing..no breathing, til he coughed and woke up).

He sometimes uses his mask, although his stupid beard (trying to get him to shave it..) prevents it from staying on right. He has gained a lot of weight since getting out and works so much in an office right now that he can't workout much. I made an MFP account, but he barely uses it. Any tips would be appreciated---thanks and good luck in the new year!
  • DaenerysT
    Options
    well done, i'm pleased it's helped you (and pleased for your wife!) My husband has sleep apnoea and it's got a lot worse the past year. its the main reason i want him to lose weight with me. his snoring is actually driving me to the brink of insanity :ohwell: and waiting for him to start breathing again or having to kickstart him after a long period is unfair. neither of us get enough sleep and then more lethargic the next day. it's starting to make me cross with him too. i've been building up to a hard talk with him about it and this has motivated me. so thanks!
  • thunderlight7
    Options
    Hoping as my bf continues to lose weight it will help him too!
    It's really terrifying as the other person, I completely relate with your wife beating the crap out of you to wake you up!! I'm curious, now that the apnea is gone, do you still snore, and...if not...does your wife have trouble sleeping because the silence signals to her that something is wrong?

She used to be frightened. She didnt know whether I was breathing silently or at all. And thats when I got punched. But since the weight loss, she a better peace of mind now. I hope things get better. Your his best support system with this, because you see it first hand. Please keep me posted.
  • TerrificTere
    Options
    You look awesome!!! Way to go!!!!

Keep it up!!!

Thanks for sharing!!!
  • diamondpinksky
    Options
    i would like to say ... wow :smile: WTG
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Wow!!!!!! Great job!!!!!!
  • daisyls85
    daisyls85 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Congrats!

You look fantastic, like a completely different person!!
  • alpha2omega
    alpha2omega Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Extremely well done!!! There is no greater reward or accomplishment achieved than regaining one’s health. My wife also introduced me to MFP which has helped me overcome high blood pressure so I feel your joy and relief. :drinker: To your health!
  • lupa01
    lupa01 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Great to hear about the sleep apnea being gone, that is a very scary condition. It figures that weight loss would eliminate it, just as it eliminates or reduces most other conditions, like high blood pressure and diabetes. Thanks so much for sharing! You look AWESOME, btw.:-)
  • delipidation
    delipidation Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    It should probably be noted that sleep apnea isn't always related to weight. A family member who had a heart attack in his mid-70s, who took the doctors' advice seriously and spends 45 minutes a day on the treadmill, eats real food and has been slim, trim and energetic for all of the intervening 18 years, still has to use a CPAP. Apnea can be either obstructive, central or some combination of the two, and it can be entirely unrelated to weight. If the person on the other side of the bed tells you to get it checked out, even if you've just worked your weight down to what it was when you graduated high school as a three-letter athlete, get it checked out.
  • smkey
    smkey Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I used to snore like a freight train but after losing weight, I am a silent sleeper. I would put money down that I was borderline on sleep apnea. Thanks for sharing this!
    You look GREAT, btw!
  • tsegears
    Options
    First, let me just congrat you on a remarkable job! You look fantastic! Second, I want to thank you for bringing this condition to the community. I am considering taking the sleep study myself because I have started snoring terribly (so my husband says) and waking up abruptly throughout the night, looking around for water that I keep on my nightstand for just such occasions. The water usually calms me down, but not my fear. My husband won't admit that I have gain some weight, but he does say that, "you never use to snore ... I don't know what changed." I never considered that the weight gain could be contributing to a possible sleeping disorder. Now there is more of a reason to make a lifestyle change to save my life! Thanks again for sharing your story and keep up the great work!

13107194.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!