Anyone NOT belong to a gym?

Options

Replies

• SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I don't belong to a gym. I have a treadmill and do circuit training with Jillian Michaels at jillianmichaels.com/shred. Its an online program that rocks. I also have several videos and run 6 miles daily.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Home gym here.....treadmill, bench, adjustable dumbbells, chin up bar and swiss ball. Next purchase is an Olympic barbell and weights....would have gotten them sooner but my husband is being a slacker....lol
  • StatutoryGrape
    Options
    I can't afford to go to the gym. I have a stationary bike and a couple of DVDs I rotate instead. Plus, Netflix has a few Pilates DVDs as well (instant streaming). Right now, I'm doing 30DS (day five). Once I'm finished with that, I'll probably rotate the belly dance/cardio workout DVD and working out on the stationary bike.
  • mstormth
    mstormth Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I as well am married with two children (12 & 3); I was a gym member but I had to go before the house woke up - 6am class, so I would get up at 4:30 am.

I was spending more than I was getting out of it - home life made it very difficult to go to the classes I wanted and had to wake up extremely early in order to go. I gave it up.

I now work out at home with videos (mainly Jilllian michaels), I wake up an hour earlier than I need to - I do this 6 days a week - I am much more dedicated and more faithful to my routins now. It has worked out for me to the better.

There are some days when I do not do the six days but for the most part I am pretty good.

I am glad I am not the only one not attending a gym! Its nice to hear of other people in the same story as I am.
  • kcmomof2
    kcmomof2 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I am married, working full time with two preschoolers & I don't have a gym membership. I am more comfortable working out alone. I run outside 3-4 days a week and the other days I do an Insanity or Asylum workout. I have to get up 1-2 hours before the rest of the house wakes up to get my workout in.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm 50, never belonged to a gym and have been at a healthy weight most of my life. I've walked, ran, hiked, biked, skated, jumped rope, done many workout DVDs (Zumba, Tae bo, several Jane Fonda, dance aerobics, pilates, step aerobics, etc.), I've owned and used an eliptical, treadmill, universal gym, punching bag, stairmaster and one of those gazelle things at various times in my life, I've worked out to TV exercise shows like Bodies in Motion and the 20 min workout. I've done calesthenics, Wii Fit, floor exercises, dumbells, barbells, thigh master, resistance bands.

They all work to varying degrees. The key is to use/do them. The only times I've gained wieght is when I forget that key.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I workout at home, and only go to the gym for the classes...some things are just more fun with loud music and others around.
  • csmith4567
    csmith4567 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Netflix has a lot of videos that I stream, so it gives me the no excuses because I'm bored.
  • beautifulbrat
    Options
    I don't have a gym membership and I tried taebo bootcamp and I started pouring the sweat in the first 3.35 minutes. I had to stop but I'm gonna go back and do more later
  • Nharley
    Nharley Posts: 201
    Options
    Me! :smile:

Bottom line is that they are all too far away. What would be close enough you ask? <big grin> Probably less than 5 miles. I'd rather save the money for new running shoes or a used elliptical that I can use in my home. Thanks for asking!
  • mamad5
    mamad5 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym either. I have a wii fit and I weigh myself on that and do some of the exercises...I also will go for a walk or jog...But where I live it's really cold, so the wii fit is my friend ;) Plus I can play some of the games with the kids and they get active to! It's a win win.
  • SaketoKim
    SaketoKim Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I work out at home, I use 30DS religously and P90x on the weekends. I would highly recommend 30DS if you are pressed for time during the work week like I am.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I don't go to the gym but hopefully sometime in the near future I will be able to because I want to use some of the machines and weights there. Currently I run (training for a marathon) and do P90X and other "strength" dvd's at home.
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I don't belong to a gym. I do P90X and Insanity in my basement, plus I run some and hit my punching bag. There is nothing at the gym I need. And I get to hang on to my money to buy any fitness equipment that I may want.
  • theoneandonlybrookie
    Options
    Nope. I run outside, bike outside, and do P90X and free weights at home. I actually miss spinning classes but I have no time for them right now. It helps that I live in a place that is nice enough to workout outdoors pretty much every day of the year!
  • Suzymo3
    Suzymo3 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I do not belong to a gym. I have lost all of my weight by walking (and a little running) on the trails in our neighborhood and a few DVD's on the bad weather days. But, I prefer to go outside for my workout.
  • vegetarian218
    vegetarian218 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've never belonged to a gym. I lost most of my weight so far using the Wii Fit Plus with some Biggest Loser and Just Dance Wii games tossed in as well as various dvd's. I also like to be active outside when weather permits, taking long walks, etc.
  • Caseysb19
    Caseysb19 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I didnt read all of these but... if you have a ipod ipad or iphone there is a FREE app called nike traning club that has great workouts. If you dont know what something is there is a vido that can show you how to do it. You even earn new work outs as you go to keep you motivated. Great for at home or to use in the gym.
  • jennifermcornett
    jennifermcornett Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym for many reasons. I have an hour and 15 minute commute each way to and from work, where I am a teacher. Once I get home, I don't want to leave the house. I don't want to pay for a gym membership. I hate weight machines, and I can do free weights at home. Those are some reasons.

When I work out, I generally just run (if I can get outside--I had a treadmill, but the ex got it in the divorce, and he doesn't even work out) or do videos. I do Turbo Jam sometimes, and I did P90X (lost it in the divorce, too, and again, he doesn't even work out) and would like to do it again. I also just turn on a CD and dance or clean vigorously. :)
  • TriumphNow
    TriumphNow Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I didn't read every post here so sorry if this is repetitive. I don't belong to a gym. With my kids, husband, work and other commitments, I just don't have time to go. I work out at home early in the morning before my kids wake up. I'm usually up at 5 or 5:30 a.m. We have a home gym and stationary bike. I mainly use the bike and lots of different DVD Workouts. Some of my favorites are Denise Austin, Jillian Michaels, and Biggest Loser workouts. When it's warmer outside, I also add walking. If you have cable, there are a lot of free workouts on Exercise TV on On Demand. Those are good too. I hope you find what works best for you :)