Anyone NOT belong to a gym?

Options

Replies

• Crys1209
    Crys1209 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    How old are your children? When we 1st started getting on the ball about getting healthy and losing weight we didn't have a gym membership. We did however do a lot of walking and play A LOT of basketball!!!! Everyone was able to play and it was also a great workout. Great Cardio. It helped us lose weight. Especially my husband who went from 319-250 in 3 months. So I will definitely say no, needing a gym is not neccesary and you can find many family activites to do for exercise. When the weather is right we also enjoy hiking. I have 6&7 year old step sons and we were a little bit hesitant to take them hiking at 1st & at 1st they really didn't want to go. I guess the thought of walking around outside around a mountain wasn't appealing to them lol but once we went they loved it & now they ask when we are going hiking again.
  • sundancer1966
    sundancer1966 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I no longer belong to a gym and for the most part don't miss it. I have MANY workout programs on DVD and I love being able to get up early and work out at home. The gym was too hard to get too, and life was too busy. I do wish I could take a "Live" class occassionally, but I have no regrets with my home workouts, and I am getting better results.
  • planetamy426
    planetamy426 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Zumba for the Wii has been a lot of fun. Also, depending on your cable company, you may be able to record/download videos from Exercise TV on Demand.
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I workout at home using dvd's and zumba wii.. I have 4 children and honestly could not afford a gym membership or have a sitter.. More convenient for me this way.
  • MomDupuis
    MomDupuis Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I live in the country over an hour from the nearest gym (even if it was closer I wouldn't go - I have disliked gyms since I went when I was 20 something). I have a treadmill, Wii Fit, and just started today with Wii Zumba. I plan to alternate days/programs to keep it fresh.
  • cndrlla
    cndrlla Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I do not belong to a gym. My daughter insists we need to join one, but I rather work out at home. I tried out a boot camp fitness class in October and loved it, but can't afford it since I am unemployed. So, for now, I am walking outside for 30 minutes, 4 days a week, and working out with Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds 3-Mile DVD for 3 days a week, and Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred every other day. The walking DVD is 45 minutes and a good workout for cardio and light strength training. Jillian's is intense for me since I haven't done anything like it since boot camp.

Hope this helps. :)
  • Fabnover40Kat
    Fabnover40Kat Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I live in the country over an hour from the nearest gym (even if it was closer I wouldn't go - I have disliked gyms since I went when I was 20 something). I have a treadmill, Wii Fit, and just started today with Wii Zumba. I plan to alternate days/programs to keep it fresh.

Same here for me! Too far away and our little town has no GYM! I have beenalternating between Ripped in 30 and 30DS but my boyfirend got me Supreme 90 for Xmas...started yesterday! I run as well. I also have a Wii Fit and would love the new Zumba!
  • blazergrad
    blazergrad Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I don't belong to a gym either because the vast majority of them are not wheelchair accessible. I do my workouts at home ... I have a weight bench and free-weights that I do weight training with and then I have a table-top exercise bike that I use for cardio. I enjoy the obvious convenience, too, of being able to work out in the privacy of my own home.
  • lissypriss
    lissypriss Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I don't belong to a gym, and have done perfectly fine without it! I pay monthly for an elliptical machine, which will save me $ in the long run, because that's all I really used when I went to a gym anyway. I have an assortment of workout dvds, and pay attention to my food logging here! Lost over 70 lbs without a "trainer" and I haven't felt this good in a very long time. :) gym-shmym!
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i work out at home.

exercise bike
    treadmill
    free weights
    occasionally work on the rowing machine
    lots of walking
    push ups and situps.
  • LindsayAnderson2012
    Options
    My gym membership just expired, as of the 31st of December.... I've been very busy these last few months, and felt I was wasting my money, so I didn't renew it. But, I am definitely going to miss it- the trainers at my gym were very uplifting and helpful.
    I have hand weights and a small assortment of DVDs, and my favorite at-home tool is my XBOX Kinect :)

~Lindsay
  • onefitdiva
    onefitdiva Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I have only 2 types of gyms in my area, the commercial meat markets or serious power lifters and body builder gyms. I don't like being bothered when I work out so I avoid the first and I figure the men and women in the second option would not appreciate a newbie in their space. I have done elliptical, Jillian Michaels Yoga Melt Down, Zumba, The Brazil Butt Life (my personal fav.) and I am now doing P90X. I like the privacy and schedule flexability of working out at home. My kids schedules really do not allow for me to go to a gym either.
  • BCSNfld
    BCSNfld Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I don't belong to a gym, I have a treadmill and an elliptical machine in the basement. I had my husband install a TV for me down there so I have everything I need. I also have P90X and Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30. I liked P90X, but the time committment was too much for me with 3 kids under 5. I do like Ripped in 30.

13324560.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • abgliderpro
    Options
    I don't. Gin Miller has the best Cardio, Body Building, ect. She is awesome! You ought to try her out! You can do a lot at home.
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I do not have a gym membership. I am doing P90X2. I have done P90X, Insanity, and a mixture of the two. Zumba and Yoga DVDs are fun workouts. I am also trying to become a runner, but it has been so freakin' cold out, that I haven't been as dedicated to that as I should be. I'm thinking Brazil Butt Lift may be next for me.
  • Christinemary6
    Christinemary6 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    No gym membership for me. I belonged to one in the 1980s. Never again! Now I don't even exercise. Ugh!

Christine
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    I gave up my gym membership 2.5 years ago. Too much time spent commuting and waiting for equipment. I don't miss it as much as I thought I would.
  • deja_blu
    deja_blu Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I workout at home with my BeachBody DVD systems.
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I don't belong to a gym now, mainly because I can't afford it plus I have 2 young children and a husband who does shift work. I always try and walk somewhere with the little one in the buggy on my day off and I'm busy turning my garage into a home gym. I have a treadmill and elliptical and my husband has his weight bench there. Also have wii fit and various exercise games for it but don't get to use it as much as I'd like at the moment ;0)
  • Lula16
    Lula16 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    no gym membership here, i workout at home. we have treadmill, elliptical, stationary bike, 2 station home gym, weight bench and weights, all jillian micheals dvd's. We found most of our fitness equipment listed on the local paper classifieds. best money we ever spent :smile: