Anyone NOT belong to a gym?

Options
12345679»

Replies

• Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I don't belong to a gym. I am a single mom with two young kids, work full time, etc...There is a gym in the clubhouse of the apartments I live in right now but I'm planning on moving soon and there won't be a gym at my new place. I have an elliptical machine (it's currently broken :( ), but mainly I use workout DVDs. Jillian Michaels is my favorite.
  • lbekkala
    Options
    I do not belong to a gym. I work a fast-paced job in a retirement home as a health aide and exercise on the side. Seasonal activities such as swimming, skiing, snowshoeing, biking, and walking are among my favorites. I'm going to be trying Jillian Michaels and Zumba soon.
  • LadyKT
    LadyKT Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I belong to a gym....but i never go. :blushing: I think this is the *last* time I sign up for a gym and don't go. I feel so much more comfortable working out in my living room than I do in the company of strangers.
  • geraldm55
    geraldm55 Posts: 130
    Options
    I hate the idea of having to drive some where to workout and then back home. I started by doing the pushup, squat, chinup and situp apps on my phone. I than started to use my bowflex (sat in my basement for years getting dusty). when it was nice out we took walks every night and I started skipping.

I then started to do taebo and loved it. I'm now doing insanity and bob harper (total body).

As long as you're self motivated working out at home is great. for some they need the gym to push them and thats awesome also. everyone is different.

In His service
    Gerald
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    nope. I commute a little more than 2 hours a day to work, have a husband and 3 girls 16, 12 and 2 and don't currently have the money to spend on it, but would probably join if we had a 24 hour fitness place close by!
  • TazzytheMotivator
    TazzytheMotivator Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I don't use a gym I walkand run. I workout with Jillian (Biggest Loser final workout) Jane Fonda , Kathy Smith (weight ) Lesile Sansome walk away the pounds 3-5 mile walk. Yoga, I reach my goal of 200 pounds lost .
  • MrsMellyMel
    Options
    I am about to sign-up for a gym simply because I am interested in water aerobics. BUT, my husband lost 81 lbs last year with NO gym membership. He rides his bike and works out at home. He started off with Billy Blanks videos and he just ordered the Insanity program this week. So, it can be done. I tried working out at home and it just isn't for me. I like being outside but I have encountered too many dogs and coyotes so I'm trying the water. I don't like gyms and I'm happy that the one I am joining has the pool near the front, so I don't have to walk thru the gym, which I hate. I hate the smell and just not interested in the equipment. Hope this helps...GOOD LUCK!
  • blonde20fan
    blonde20fan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I train at home. I have a stationary bike and a treadmill. I also have a stability ball and free weights. No need for a gym!!
  • Mrs_ALM
    Mrs_ALM Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    No gym for me - although I used to belong to one. I feel it takes too much time away from relaxing after work between changing clothes and driving then working out. I am about to try the Jillian Michaels 30 days to shred videos. They are only 20 minute sessions of circuit training and read a lot of great reviews. I'm not looking to lose too much weight, looking more for tone. I will probably do the 20 min sessions every other day since my goal isn't weight loss.
  • zclark13
    zclark13 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I don't belong. Tried Curves for awhile, but after the first "excitement" I didn't go often enough to make it worth it. Can't afford to go anywhere right now. Would be nice to have a trainer session, but... We have a some equipment that my husband bought about 12 years ago that is collecting dust and I'm trying the Wii Fit+ I HAD to have a couple of years ago and only used once! I'm hoping that being on MFP and seeing everyone's success and encouragement will get me down to the dungeon and get busy!:smile:
  • jinxjazz
    jinxjazz Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Power 90 Fitness & Nutrition at home. Lost 10 lbs in the first month. It really works!

13738139.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • alexandralhunt
    Options
    i didnt for a long time... and i continued to be overweight! i wish i had the determination that you guys who work out at home have!!! i work 45+ a week, my days are long, and i have a 2 year old. i really hate being out of the house more than i have to, but i know that at home, its too easy to be lazy. i feel the pressure when i go to the gym, so i actually do the work! keep up the good work to all of you who are bustin butt at home!!!
  • Moriarty_697
    Moriarty_697 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I belong to a gym and like it but I sometimes go a long time between visits because, if the weather is at least bearable, I'd rather do my running and cycling outdoors. The miles just seem to go by a little bit quicker outside.
  • snowbab
    snowbab Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I'm a student who can't afford to go to the gym lol. i use Just Dance 3/ go rowing/ cycling and I am getting zumba fitness 2 tomorrow. That will do me and it's for life not just a 45 min session (all i can fit in between classes).

Once I'm at uni I'll use the gym there for free :P
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I have not purchased a gym membership in YEARS and I don't plan on doing so anytime soon. :happy:

Initially, I started working out by walking 3-4 times a week for 45 min. Then I added in Tony Horton's 10-Minute Trainer videos.

From there, I started the C25K program. After I completed that, I started and completed Bridge to 10K. And now I work out at home with Exercise TV/ DHF FIT TV On Demand (I do a variety of workout videos that incorporate weights, kick boxing, cardio, etc.) and continue to run when the weather isn't too cold.

If I ever pay for anything connected to a gym, it would be for a personal trainer. Otherwise, I believe (like many of the super exercise gurus say) that the only equipment you need is your body.
  • rachel4
    rachel4 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Well this has turned out to be a very popular thread :bigsmile:

Nor do I belong to a gym!
    I feel EXACTLY Like you do, I don’t want to be away anymore than I need to be. :love:
    I do Zumba for the wii
    P90X DVD’S
    Running and I do cheat and workout while at lunch at my job.
    But it’s no more than a home gym in a fancy house :)
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Not me ... I like to run ... I get home, hug my kids, lace up, run, hug my kids (while some complain that I smell), shower, and relax for dinner :) ... with a wife and 4 kids I can't afford the time to go to the gym ... for me it's about balance, and I want to maximize my time at home.
  • mamad5
    mamad5 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have gone to the gym and was introduced to piloxing...so I found a video online and do it at home. Its an hour long and I get a total workout that is fun.
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I'm sort of in anti-gym mode now. What did it for me was waiting 20 minutes to use the squat rack while a guy in pink shorts does barbell curls there and would not leave. Kicking his %^& was not an option if I wanted to retain my membership but ironically this is what made me drop the membership. This serious dislike of gyms could always change but I have everything I need at home. Sometimes I miss the social interaction and collective energy you can get at a gym. I also miss doing heavy squats and deadlifts, the sauna and jacuzzi- but there are 100x more things that I don't miss!

I have; running shoes and accessories, chin up bar, 2 50# dumbells, jump rope, Cellerciser rebounder (mini trampoline) and a Brute Force sandbag and most importantly friends and trainers that cheer me on.

For me it is not an issue of money and expense, it is an issue of time and personal peace.

Edit; forgot my TRX. That is great for traveling especially!