Is there really a correct way to do a squat?

Options
Today I went to the gym and had one of those free personal assessments. The trainer asked me to do a squat. So, I squatted and he said I was doing it wrong. Really? A squat is a squat.! He kept telling me to arch my back, so, I'd arch my back and then he'd say...now you're just bending over, so I'd not arch as much and then he'd say my knees were going past my toes. I was about to punch the guys lights out. Seriously! What do you think? Is there a proper way to do a squat? And What's the big deal anyway?

Replies

• SaundraM2009
    SaundraM2009 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Your knees should never go past your toes to avoid hyperextension and stress on them. Push your rear back and lower your thighs parallel to the ground, bending at the hips and keeping your core tight to get the maximum effectiveness out o the move and avoid injury.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    There is a correct way or form to do any exercise. If you do it correctly, it works the target muscles. If you don't and just end up doing something like bending over, you aren't working those muscles and probably just resorting to using muscles that your body is used to using (meaning you don't work as hard, and don't get the desired results).
  • MHunte
    MHunte Posts: 149
    Options
    if you want a good idea on a proper squat its just like you about to sit on a public toilet but not letting your butt touch the seat.....
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    It can definitely be a big deal for your back (and possibly your joints if your knees are going that far past your toes). It might not seem like it now, but try doing 10 of them after you're carrying an additional 100lbs.

As far as the trainer not being able to explain how to do a squat, he probably should have put both of you in the mirror and you watch as you did a squat in a supposedly incorrect way and then demonstrate better form so that you could compare.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    There is no "one correct way," but there are definitely things you can do that put you at a greater risk of injury
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    As other people have said, your knees should never go past your toes unless you really want an injury. It's bad bad bad for your knees.
    Oh, and this:
    if you want a good idea on a proper squat its just like you about to sit on a public toilet but not letting your butt touch the seat.....
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    The proper way to squat is a very complicated argument. Here's a good link to show for you about them:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/whats-the-proper-way-to-squat-qa.html
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Today I went to the gym and had one of those free personal assessments. The trainer asked me to do a squat. So, I squatted and he said I was doing it wrong. Really? A squat is a squat.! He kept telling me to arch my back, so, I'd arch my back and then he'd say...now you're just bending over, so I'd not arch as much and then he'd say my knees were going past my toes. I was about to punch the guys lights out. Seriously! What do you think? Is there a proper way to do a squat? And What's the big deal anyway?

It's alot easier to do them wrong vs right. And probably 90% of the people I see do them wrong. If you want to work the legs and not your lower back and knees, then your trainer was saying the right things. Having the knees in front of your toes puts undo stress on your knee joints vs the muscles you want to actually work. Bowing your back means you are just doing a "good morning" vs an actual squat. ie... working your lower back vs the leg muscles.

Do them right and benefit. Do them wrong and it's a waste of time and you risk hurting yourself.
  • knighttrain74
    knighttrain74 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    There def is a correct way! Please don't get angry at them, he/she are only trying to help. I blew my back out and had to quite playing college football because I was never taught how to squat correctly till afterwards! Just try to remember they are only there to help!
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Why you want to punch him when he showed you do the correct form?
    You will damage your knee joints if you don't do them correctly.
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Try doing an overhead squat to get the feeling of what a squat is supposed to be like. Get a bar (doesn't have to be weighted) hold it a little wider that shoulder distance, raise it above your head and squat. This makes your back straighter, your knees track over your toes and your weight remains on your heels.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Of course there is. When you are squatting at your limit, do them wrong and you will get seriously injured.
  • midwifekelley2350
    midwifekelley2350 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Try doing an overhead squat to get the feeling of what a squat is supposed to be like. Get a bar (doesn't have to be weighted) hold it a little wider that shoulder distance, raise it above your head and squat. This makes your back straighter, your knees track over your toes and your weight remains on your heels.

great advice...master this first
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Depends if you value your knees and lower back into your golden years....
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options

this is great advice.
    every training program i have seen that included squats, has you do this for the first session. form is more important then weight when starting out on squats.. get the form down, THEN up the weight.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Your knees should never go past your toes to avoid hyperextension and stress on them. Push your rear back and lower your thighs parallel to the ground, bending at the hips and keeping your core tight to get the maximum effectiveness out o the move and avoid injury.

That's not entirely true. It is more important to have a balance so that the movement is being driven primarily through the hips. The angle(slant) of the tibia should be the same as for the back. For some people, that means their knees will have to go over their toes a little. Think of the "figure 4" pose of a downhill skier.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    You can also go to www.bodyrecomposition.com. The author recently did an article on squat form complete w/videos.
  • mathen2
    mathen2 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Also remember when doing a squat your weight needs to be in your heels and not your toes. If you put it in your toes, you wont be getting the benefits of doing squats. You will definitely feel the burn.
  • amaion17
    amaion17 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    yes very important never let your knees go over your toes even in lunges. i pretend like im going to sit in a chair, core tight.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Don't know about a proper squat but I do know that you never let your knees go past your toes!

As with everything else I would imagine that there is a proper way to squat to get the most benefit.

Probably a good idea to hold off giving your trainer a punch for a while! :-)