Thigh Gap Desires

Options
So here's the thing. I've got thunder thighs. I want them gone. When I lose weight, I seem to ALWAYS lose it in my ab area. Which is cool and all. But my major target area is my thighs and my deepest desire is to have a thigh gap.
As a short female of merely 5'2" this is more difficult than you can imagine..so i REALLY REALLY NEED SOME HELP.
Please. Anyone who has any advice to point me in the right direction...I'd be eternally grateful.
Thanks so much!

Replies

• _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    This obsession with a gap between the thighs is very strange to me.

But the truth is, it really depends mostly on the size of your hips and your genes. You may never have one, so you should enjoy and appreciate your thighs now and their lack of a gap.

Focus on something more important, like your fitness abilities. Those you can have and improve on. Thigh gaps come and go or never come in the first place.
  • abby1791
    abby1791 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I agree completely. I would like this more than anything. Everytime I lose weight I can see a gap appearing and I think its a possibility for me, though I have HUGE thighs as well after a lifetime of playing softball. I would LOVE to hear what some of your ways of getting to this goal will be!
  • jfluchere
    jfluchere Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Keep up the hard work and in time you will have it...
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I agree completely. I would like this more than anything. Everytime I lose weight I can see a gap appearing and I think its a possibility for me, though I have HUGE thighs as well after a lifetime of playing softball. I would LOVE to hear what some of your ways of getting to this goal will be!

You want a thigh gap more than anything? Now that doesn't sound right. Someone please enlighten me as to what this amazing thigh gap will bring them once they have it.
  • jenna715
    jenna715 Posts: 201
    Options
    I don't have a gap but i can see light though a small area near the top of my legs! lol.... but I do not lose weight near my abs like you (thats my major problem area). Wish we could split the difference! but since we can't we'll just have to keep on truckin....
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I agree with Gia, no amount of diet and exercise can change your genes. Be proud of abs and the fact that you're losing weight at all, it's not easy. Get your head out of those magazines, because the fact is, not everyone looks great in skinny jeans, but maybe you do rock flares, or skirts look better on you. See where I'm going? We are all different and thigh gaps aren't everything. Personally, I worry about how strong my legs are, not how skinny.

But if you're still worried, try some lunges with hand weights, that will at least help to tone *all* of your leg muscles.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Sorry but you girls are crazy! I used to want a thigh gap too (years of softball, gymnastics and genes! were all a factor) but even when I lost a lot of weight 2 years ago (I was 118 and I'm 5'6") I still had a gap. Practically starved myself to that weight, and while I was super skinny, my thighs still touched at the top. I was also working out hard with a trainer and running a lot then, so it goes to show you no amount of diet and exercise can change where your body stores fat!

I know its hard ladies, but don't kill yourself working towards goals that are physically impossible. Pick a more realistic goal, like increasing your cardio sessions by 5 minutes or the amount to weight you can squat by 10%. With your fitness goals, you'll also see physical changes.
  • hopingforhealthy
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the so-called thigh gap is a result of being severely underweight and muscle loss. If you look at women over the age of 17 like 96% of them have thighs that touch.
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem...all my weight goes to my gut and I almost always have a gap in my thighs even though I'm overweight. My thighs touch at the very top now and I'm 164 and 5'4. I have a complete gap if I'm under 150. It's so unbalanced. I hate it! I'd much rather be balanced or even have bigger thighs and a smaller stomach.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    To each his/her own, but what will the thigh gap signify?? What will it mean for you? Is it strictly the look of it? I'm not knocking it, because you want what you want. I'm just curious as to why the gap is so important. O_o
  • thesmellofapples
    thesmellofapples Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    a thigh gap is not attainable to everyone who loses weight. i can't even count the amount of times i've explained this to people. if you have abnormally large thighs, chances are you will never have a thigh gap. people with gaps are people who have the genetics and wide set hips. if your hips are smaller then the gap will just never exist. there are no workouts you can do to lose weight in only your thighs, your body will determine where you lose weight. expecting a thigh gap when losing weight is like expecting my nose to change it's shape.

the most important part of losing weight is learning to love your body as it is.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    like some people said exercise can help you tone up your thighs
    however, also like some people said we all have different body types & a "thigh gap" might not be achievable

It's also good to remember that the images of women we see in advertisements, magazines, etc are photoshopped. They often trim their inner thighs to take away that curve. Apparently even models bodies are not consider good enough. And many people look at these images striving for something airbrushed.

don't obsess over the "thigh gap" - aim for a healthy lifestyle - diet & exercise, hopefully you'll be happy with whatever changes come about
  • mrsvatitagain
    mrsvatitagain Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I do not desire a gap, but I would like to walk really fast without my thighs catching on fire....just saying its not a comfty feeling!!!
  • momtozmc
    momtozmc Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Unfortunetly, it is all in the genes... I will never ever have thin thighs... I will 6 feet under for a year and still won't have thigh gap!!! LOL... it's just how we are built...

I'm pretty muscular and have always wanted thinner thighs... even at my lightest weight... never happened!

L
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of anyone wanting a thigh gap until today... and in one day, there are two threads. How strange. Is this the new 'hot' thing? Or have I just had my head buried in the sand?
  • abby1791
    abby1791 Posts: 34 Member
    Options

You want a thigh gap more than anything? Now that doesn't sound right. Someone please enlighten me as to what this amazing thigh gap will bring them once they have it.

More than anything was just a phrase. There are plenty of things I would like more than a thigh gap, but it is up there on my list. I love wearing summer dresses, its really all I wear in the summer, and I would LOVE to not have my thighs rub together.
    But there are things I would like first, like getting my BMI to "normal" and to feel healthy again.
    1542 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hello!

If you used to have a thigh gap (after puberty!) but have gained weight recently there might be good news! If you've never had one since puberty maybe not so much - blame genetics! Keep in mind that weightloss tends to happen in reverse order. So the place you put it on last, is where the weight will come off first. It is easy to get discouraged especially if you are losing fat off of your back, arms or places that are less noticeable when you are head on in the mirror.

In my opinion a thigh gap is over-rated. A toned leg is much sexier than a skinny leg!
    Case in point:

Serena Williams
    Jennifer Lopez
    Beyonce Knowles
    Gabrielle Reece

A sexy list of ladies with no thigh gap to be found!

Squats, lunges, hamstring curls and roman (stiff leg) deadlifts will give you fabulous, long, strong looking legs and jogging is a great way to emphasize that tone!
  • mrsvatitagain
    mrsvatitagain Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Hello!

If you used to have a thigh gap (after puberty!) but have gained weight recently there might be good news! If you've never had one since puberty maybe not so much - blame genetics! Keep in mind that weightloss tends to happen in reverse order. So the place you put it on last, is where the weight will come off first. It is easy to get discouraged especially if you are losing fat off of your back, arms or places that are less noticeable when you are head on in the mirror.

In my opinion a thigh gap is over-rated. A toned leg is much sexier than a skinny leg!
    Case in point:

Serena Williams
    Jennifer Lopez
    Beyonce Knowles
    Gabrielle Reece

A sexy list of ladies with no thigh gap to be found!

Squats, lunges, hamstring curls and roman (stiff leg) deadlifts will give you fabulous, long, strong looking legs and jogging is a great way to emphasize that tone!

True but their thighs don't feel like they are are going to catch fire. LOL Just saying......
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    This obsession with a gap between the thighs is very strange to me.
    It smells of spooky and unhealthy, not unlike the gals that want to see their bones protruding. :indifferent:
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    lungs, bike, walking, jogging, running, stepmill, etc. can help to slim them down, if in conjunction with proper nutrition. I'm walking proof that a healthy version can be done.

ETA: it wasn't fun or easy (emotional roller coaster), but it can be done.