Losing weight, without a gym

Options
13»

Replies

• staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I lost all of my weight on my own at home...running, riding, very basic weights & most importantly, PORTION CONTROL. I just recently joined a private gym with a private PT to take me to the next level...strength, and, oh, getting ripped at 41! :wink: :wink: :wink:
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    By tracking what I eat. Running helps a lot too.
  • lizzue
    lizzue Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Yes! i go for a quicl 20 min run in the morning follwed by 30mins of either 30DS or No more trouble zones then a run again in the afternoon (both runs because walking my dog! :-))
  • skinnyjeans1224
    skinnyjeans1224 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Haven't had a gym membership in several years.

I love the new Les Mills PUMP (it's like BodyPump taught in gyms). I also walk/jog, Turbofire, P90X2 and so much others.
  • JenGranzow
    JenGranzow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 54 pounds so far by exercising in my living room (and, obviously, eating right). I have an elliptical and started out using that as my main form of exercise. Then I did Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred (twice, back to back); Pauline Nordin's Butt Bible; Jillian Michaels' Ripped in 30; a whole bunch of stuff from Exercise TV when it was still available. Currently, I am doing ChaLean Extreme and I love it! Even when I worked out with a personal trainer at a gym, I never pushed myself as hard as I do now.

Check out your local library, because many libraries have a fairly good selection of workout dvds so you can sample some to find what you like.
  • Loveebbs
    Loveebbs Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I lost all of my weight doing at home programs (for example, Turbo Fire) and XBox Kinect games that will have you moving.
  • Patovader
    Patovader Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I do 5 to 10 minutes of calisthenics most mornings and try to walk for 30 to 60 minutes per day. As per Chairless's comment though I do this to keep active and eat more.

Good luck,

A.
  • OooLaurenooO
    OooLaurenooO Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Wii Wii Wii Wii Wii :)

Yep, im eating better (with treats) and im on the Wii alot and just do general stretches and sometimes follow "The Great Big Workout" on fitnesstv. lol
  • MangoAmanda
    MangoAmanda Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I don't have a gym membership, but I do have a really good home gym, a weight set that goes from 5-50 lbs, treadmill, and other accessories that I've collected over time (bands, balance boards, skip rope, ball). I didn't pay a fortune either... look on kijiji, craigslist, you'll find great deals on the things people buys brand new, use twice & sell for less than 1/2 the price they paid ;-).

As an ex-personal trainer, but still a personal trainer at heart :-), there are so many exercises you can do from home without a gym, and you won't have to fight others for your turn at the equipment. Walking, running, hiking, there are so many good DVD's out there, but you have to be careful when doing weight & strength training to watch your posture... posture is everything when doing these types of exercise or any exercise... if you don't have proper posture, your not benefiting from the exercise and could do more harm than good. Keeping proper posture is easier said than done, especially as we fatigue during exertion. Always good to have a buddy system to help with that. If you've never worked out before, then a gym would be a good place to start to get that advise, or get a couple personal training sessions.

Best wishes to you all!
  • pfeiferfit
    pfeiferfit Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have an elliptical (got on craigslist cheap), a power rider (craigslist), bike (craigslist) and I play dance party 2 and 3 plus zumba on the Wii.

LOVE IT! I make use of other people's old equipment (or sometimes not so old either) too!! No tax, no boxes, no stuff to put together, sometimes, and no packaging to throw in the landfill. The smarmy garbage reductionist in me loves it too... :)