Maybe it's mean of me...

Options

Replies

• espence30
    espence30 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    You are not alone. I am also a hippopotomus :)
    and me also...i would starve if only ate 600 a day..
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I agree with this! I have a couple of folks on my friends list that have lost significant amounts of weight, 40-60 pounds and when they finally open their diaries, they only eat 400-700 or so calories a day. Been there, done that, got fatter after I went off of it. Its just not sustainable. I want to be healthy and strong when I hit goal, not skinny, weak and tired.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I know that I may not know the whole story, but I can't see people cheering others on because they only ate 300 calories that day, it makes me sad and makes me think I'm a hippopotamus.

Am I alone here?

Noooo... you're not alone! Most of my friends are healthy eaters and net 1200+ calories most days, but there are a few I worry about not eating enough. I am totally the 'hippopotamus' within my group of friends. :-) I usually net between 1500-1700, so with my exercise calories I typically eat 2000+ calories a day. I don't understand eating under 1000 calories a day. It simply does not compute for me.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    A group of hippopotamuses is a bloat.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    You also have to remember that they may have had WLS - and early stages you are allowed very minimal calories (under 1000). So until you know the full picture, it is kind of unfair to judge them.

That I would get, but these are people who are currently like 100-120 lbs so I don't think that's the case.
  • Hayesgang
    Hayesgang Posts: 624
    Options
    You also have to remember that they may have had WLS - and early stages you are allowed very minimal calories (under 1000). So until you know the full picture, it is kind of unfair to judge them.

I mentioned that I send a private message to see if there is a medical condition for the low calorie intake, if so I get it but if it's because she and her boyfriend had a fight, or she "feels fat" that day and it is common practice then no thanks!!
  • misskerouac
    Options
    A group of hippopotamuses is a bloat.
    That is so fitting
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options

That I would get, but these are people who are currently like 100-120 lbs so I don't think that's the case.

Then with that being said - yeah their actions would be unhealthy and just not acceptable. Then I would concur with you on this one. Thanks for shedding more light on it :happy:
  • mangorabbit
    mangorabbit Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Hippopotami unite!
    I eat food. Sometimes, I eat too much food. Working on getting better about that.

You are not mean. MFP is not a popularity contest. Who cares how many people you have a friends? Are they the right people for you? That is the issue in my head.

Be strong and enjoy!
  • Balletsax
    Balletsax Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I think it's perfectly fine to be reasonable and surround yourself with motivational (note: healthy, not anorexic) people instead of unrealistic and unsafe goals. That's what this website is all about! :)
  • TyneeKitty
    Options
    It would be way too demotivating of me to have someone like that on my friends list. If their skinnier than me and complaining there too fat and are look like there attempting the 2 4 6 i would pounce on delete faster than i pounce on a brownie
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    There are people who under eat, over eat, eat junk, eat clean and so on. I think that it is unfair to call out a group. The people struggling with EDs have enough things to deal with already, and I don't think calling them out and judging is doing any good. Just my opinion
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    I just don't add anyone. :happy:
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    You have the right to accept or decline anyone you want. If their journey is not the path you are traveling then a fork it the road will come and you say Good Ridance.
  • misskerouac
    Options
    There are people who under eat, over eat, eat junk, eat clean and so on. I think that it is unfair to call out a group. The people struggling with EDs have enough things to deal with already, and I don't think calling them out and judging is doing any good. Just my opinion

I understand they are struggling with something that I have never dealt with. And I guess it's unfair for me delete them because of that, but for me to succeed at getting healthier I need to surround myself with people who are like minded and have similar health goals.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    except me
    *smug*
  • misskerouac
    Options

That sounds like a good plan. My sister requested a friend request a few days ago, I should have denied her ;)
  • StrongGwen
    StrongGwen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    LOL that's gonna be a big, powerful group! Or would it be hippopotomi? My I'm one of the hippopotomi? :smile:
  • misskerouac
    Options
    It would be way too demotivating of me to have someone like that on my friends list. If their skinnier than me and complaining there too fat and are look like there attempting the 2 4 6 i would pounce on delete faster than i pounce on a brownie

Lol, brownies can be delicious!
  • misskerouac
    Options
    LOL that's gonna be a big, powerful group! Or would it be hippopotomi? My I'm one of the hippopotomi? :smile:

I like Hippopotami, it sounds awesome