Opinions please! Women going to sports bars alone.

Options

Replies

• toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I would have said to go! I don't mind going to places by myself. Just because I don't have someone to go with, why should I miss out? I just might meet someone to go with again! Shoot, I even went to a Bon Jovi concert by myself, no one I know wanted to spend that much money on a ticket. I ended up seeing some friends there anyway.
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with it at all. When I bar tended at a sports bar there were plenty of people (men and women) who would come to watch the games alone. You'll make friends and the bar tender will take care of you if they are any good at their job! Please watch your drink though, if you have left your drink unattended for any reason (bathroom, etc.) do not sit down and drink it again, order a new one!
  • Jessica0982
    Jessica0982 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Sports freak here! :)

You know, life is short. You want to be social. Go have a beer. What have you got to lose? If you go have a beer and nobody is really around, then you had your beer and I say you go back home. But if you go in and people start talking...then enjoy yourself!

I'm a huge sports person. We're NFL freaks. And truth is, I'm struggling in my marriage also. I worry that if we split, then who gets to hang with our football friends at the bar? LOL. Stupid but true. You know how it is, you don't just separate from your husband but people separate from you too. It stinks!

Also, some food for thought...I'll have to find out the name of the website but we have a local site here that my mother actually uses. She loves kayaking and just outdoor stuff. It's a group for people of all ages and all statuses to meet other people and go hang out. They do yoga on the beach, kayaking in groups, watching sunsets, then happy hours! :)

Enjoy life. Don't sit at home and sulk. (Yes, easier said than done)
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I love sports too! Well, mostly just basketball LOL.. but I say go for it! Go enjoy yourself! I am sure you will take whatever precautions necessary for your safety! Out of curiosity what game are you wanting to watch? lol
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I used to do this all the time! I stopped for monetary reasons, but I love having a beer dicussing football with a stranger, and feeling the excitement of having a big group of people cheering for a game with you
  • Jessica0982
    Jessica0982 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I go to watch the games at the bar alone all the time. You'll be surprised how often a " That was a BS call" will get people to start talking with you.

SO true!
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options

Also, some food for thought...I'll have to find out the name of the website but we have a local site here that my mother actually uses. She loves kayaking and just outdoor stuff. It's a group for people of all ages and all statuses to meet other people and go hang out. They do yoga on the beach, kayaking in groups, watching sunsets, then happy hours! :)

meetup.com ? Might not be the exact site you are talking about but I used it when i moved to a new state and found some great activites and friends
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    If you don't go, we're all unfriending you.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Try checking out meetup.com. You can sign up for sports-related fan clubs and such in your area and go with a group.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I think it's fine if you're comfortable.

I'll also suggest you check out www.meetup.com. It's a great way for adults to meet people with similar interests.
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    As a female bartender, I really love it when other girls come in by themselves! It can be fun to bond with someone who isn't on a date :)
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    If you really enjoy the sport and know enough to talk about it, you should feel free to go! But if you don't and you're just going to pick up guys, people will see right through that so don't do it!
    What? There is no knowledge requirement to go to a sports bar. She should feel free to go no matter how much she knows or doesn't know about sports. Sheesh.

What's wrong with picking up guys, anyway?
  • MattieJean21
    Options
    What are you waiting for! Life is short! Go out and be fun. Meet new people. Get some numbers!! :drinker:
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback :) I ended up going, and having a GREAT night. The bartender was good to me...after 6 hours of drinking beer that wasn't on special I left with a $17 tab. He said if I came back tonight he'd have my back again too...quite tempting!

Sounds like he likes you! I'm glad it was fun, and I think it's a great idea. Come baseball season I'll be doing the same, die hard sox fan, and I don't own a TV.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    If you really enjoy the sport and know enough to talk about it, you should feel free to go! But if you don't and you're just going to pick up guys, people will see right through that so don't do it!
    What? There is no knowledge requirement to go to a sports bar. She should feel free to go no matter how much she knows or doesn't know about sports. Sheesh.

What I meant by that is that you shouldn't go to a sports bar, sit down and pretend to watch a game but not know anything about sports and secretly be there to pick up guys. People will think you're just there to pick up a guy, and that's not anything that is attractive to a guy - pretending to like something just to get his attention. He will see right through that. Better be you than a fake version of yourself. I think if you wanna go and you talk to a guy, you could say, "I don't know much about football but I'm trying to learn." That would be nice, and a good opportunity for conversation.
  • amaion17
    amaion17 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    IF you have to think twice about it, then its not a good idea.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

What I meant by that is that you shouldn't go to a sports bar, sit down and pretend to watch a game but not know anything about sports and secretly be there to pick up guys. People will think you're just there to pick up a guy, and that's not anything that is attractive to a guy - pretending to like something just to get his attention. He will see right through that. Better be you than a fake version of yourself. I think if you wanna go and you talk to a guy, you could say, "I don't know much about football but I'm trying to learn." That would be nice, and a good opportunity for conversation.

WRONG! if she wants to pick me up I find that very attractive
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options

Hmm that is not what I would expect a guy to say. I wouldn't go to a sports bar knowing nothing about sports and expect a guy to like that a girl goes there to meet guys. Seems phony to me.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options

Hmm that is not what I would expect a guy to say. I wouldn't go to a sports bar knowing nothing about sports and expect a guy to like that a girl goes there to meet guys. Seems phony to me.

That's ONE guy's opinion. Also, boys are different about being picked up than girls are, expectations are different.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

its the only thing real in this world. nothing phony about it. without sex and all that leads to it, there is nothing left except counting calories