whats the first thing you did after your divorce???

Options

Replies

• denisegolden
    denisegolden Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    it is definately going to be a day for me to celebrate...he has been ugly and abusive to me for many of these 19 years and i was told daily that i would and could not make it without him...and you know what? i am making it, so i will celebrate, thank you!!!
  • suepeta
    suepeta Posts: 42
    Options
    had a great party, and bought a new bedroom suite
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • karmaticgeek
    Options
    I celebrated, because after years of abuse, I bloody well deserved it. I went out with my new friends (I didn't have any when I was him) and got stupidly drunk the day the divorce was final. Ironically, it was finalised just days within what would've been our fifth anniversary. I remember laughing hysterically over that but the rest is a bit of a blur. For some reason.

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy it. You deserve no less.
  • manjingirl
    manjingirl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I went straight back to university and finished my degree (and more). Ex had said I wasn't allowed to study (amongst other things). Basically just turned around my life and I haven't looked back. Happily remarried to the best guy (24 years).
  • bakebunny
    bakebunny Posts: 253
    Options
    Cried because he didn't care enough. Then pulled myself up by the bootstraps and went on with the life I was trying to re-build for myself and my autistic sons.
  • april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    i think i went on a sex binge with my friend kevin...i remember however that i was constantly nervous cause that's how my ex made me feel; nervous about doing anything ever...and it took me a bit to get over that and realize that i was, in fact, a big girl finally out from a controlling thumb...
  • iishnova
    iishnova Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    My ex dragged out our divorce over 2 years, hopefully you get closure long before then!

I celebrated at a 4 star restaurant for lunch right after I left the courthouse.

I'm at 2.5 years right now -.- I don't know how I'll celebrate yet as there have been many plans over the past two years. I guess it depends where I am. If I'm still in Japan I will celebrate by treating myself to a trip. Skiing if it's soon, Tokyo if it's later. If I'm back in the states you will be able to hear me and my friends singing with joy from the east coast to the west coast!
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Well, let's see.

After Divorce Number 1, I moved out of the beautiful 4 Bdrm, 3 bath home we had just purchased and moved into a $250 per month furnished dive. Gave up home, trike, car and my dog, Remo. Proceeeded to incur debt, do drugs, drink too much and party hard.

After Divorce Number 2, proceeded to continue to party, *kitten* around and drink too much, at first. Lost car only this time. Started to get it together a little. Opened a TKD school. Faked being a good guy for a couple years, but I was still out of control.

After Divorce Number 3, got my act together. Lost Condo, Vacation Home, Motorcycle and Car. Got a Temp Job that progressed to a permanent job. Finally got my *kitten* together.

Married number 4. Never looked back. Been together 22 years. Coming up on 20th anniversary. Home almost paid for. 3 Cars. Motorcycle. Good Job. Great Wife. 3 great daughters.

Everything that happened before 1987 is just an funny story now.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I went to bars, I was in my 30's then and did a lot of dancing. Nice, classy places, not dives. I had so much fun.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    Options
    Clubs really, not bars.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    I've never been divorced, but I can tell you what my wife did 9 days after hers became final.

She married me :laugh:
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Celebrated with friends and sang "Ding dong the witch is dead. The wicked Witch is dead!"
  • LuciaLongIsland
    Options
    it is definately going to be a day for me to celebrate...he has been ugly and abusive to me for many of these 19 years and i was told daily that i would and could not make it without him...and you know what? i am making it, so i will celebrate, thank you!!!

Perhaps a support group to find out why you stayed. I would also read books on the subject and try counseling. I have seen too many women go from one abuser to the next.
  • SeaSiren1
    SeaSiren1 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I didn't celebrate
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    My divorce was in 2003. She left Christmas day. I spent all of 2004 out of the world. I finished my degree and worked, that was my only real social contact with the world.
  • harley0269
    harley0269 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    i went to my ex-husbands divorce party!
    i walked in the bar, watched his parents literally fall off their bar stools when i walked in. i stayed, had a few free drinks on him, then i left.
    ~what? i was invited! the invite was posted open to everyone.....lol
  • chefkev
    chefkev Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    not proud of this.

first thing I did after my divorce was a hooter's girl.

I was so much younger back then...
  • MarybethAltizer
    MarybethAltizer Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    The day my divorce was final, I went out to eat with my best friend. He was there through the whole thing, and wanted to help me take my mind off of it that night. He is now my husband. :)
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    moved out...wanted nothing to do with the house, property, or past. I was sad it came to that but excited at the possiblities of the future.