Opinions please! Women going to sports bars alone.

Options
124»

Replies

• fitaliciag
    Options
    I for one, would never go to an actual BAR for that by myself. Isn't there a restaurant type of place you could go instead? I do go out alone, but NEVER EVER to a bar type of atmosphere. EW EW EW
  • fitaliciag
    Options
    IF you have to think twice about it, then its not a good idea.

good point
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you went out and had a good time. I think there are times when you just have to step outside your comfort zone - and if its not working out for you, you can just go home!
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I for one, would never go to an actual BAR for that by myself. Isn't there a restaurant type of place you could go instead? I do go out alone, but NEVER EVER to a bar type of atmosphere. EW EW EW

why not? sports bars are created especially for what she wanted.....to watch a game and socialize with other people insterested in the sport while having a couple drinks. Why would she choose to sit at a restaurant table by herself instead?
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I think it would be super epic to go to a sports bar (not a regular bar) alone and just go there to watch the game with a good pint of beer. Especially the bar I am a fan of which is a micro brewery here locally! Me and my husband really enjoy the atmosphere so I never go alone. We don't even know that much about sports but really love the whole thing behind rooting for a team. :) It's more of a common cause unlike a random bar which is just usually a hole in the wall where people smoke/drink themselves to death.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I used to bartend at a sports bar. Women came in alone all the time to just hang out, watch sports, meet people, whatever. We had as many female regulars as male.

No one ever seemed to be put off by it. I wasn't.
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    If you really enjoy the sport and know enough to talk about it, you should feel free to go! But if you don't and you're just going to pick up guys, people will see right through that so don't do it!
    What? There is no knowledge requirement to go to a sports bar. She should feel free to go no matter how much she knows or doesn't know about sports. Sheesh.

What's wrong with picking up guys, anyway?

What I meant by that is that you shouldn't go to a sports bar, sit down and pretend to watch a game but not know anything about sports and secretly be there to pick up guys. People will think you're just there to pick up a guy, and that's not anything that is attractive to a guy - pretending to like something just to get his attention. He will see right through that. Better be you than a fake version of yourself. I think if you wanna go and you talk to a guy, you could say, "I don't know much about football but I'm trying to learn." That would be nice, and a good opportunity for conversation.

Around here sports bars aren't for the sports intellectual only. My only interest is football. I couldn't care less about the other sports but I still go with my husband and friends when football isn't on and I don't pretend I'm interested when I'm not. Girl friends have accompanied us who don't care about sports, and don't pretend to. You can still go hang out at a sports bar without being into what's on the TV. There's no rule that says the uneducated or uninterested in sports not allowed. I've gone with girlfriends when we had no interest in whatever was on - and men spoke to us - and we didn't pretend like we were into the game. First and foremost it's a bar, they want your business not your sports expertise.

The OP says she knows about sports anyway and wanted to go watch a game - which she did and had a great time chatting with the bartender - so yay for her!
  • OnWisconsin84
    OnWisconsin84 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback :) I ended up going, and having a GREAT night. The bartender was good to me...after 6 hours of drinking beer that wasn't on special I left with a $17 tab. He said if I came back tonight he'd have my back again too...quite tempting!

I'd go back. I think he was into you. I doubt he does that for just anyone!

I went back. And uh, he invited me to come hang out this weekend. And gave me his number, haha. He also disclosed that as long as I'm in there every other beer is on him, soooo that's great :drinker:
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback :) I ended up going, and having a GREAT night. The bartender was good to me...after 6 hours of drinking beer that wasn't on special I left with a $17 tab. He said if I came back tonight he'd have my back again too...quite tempting!

I went back. And uh, he invited me to come hang out this weekend. And gave me his number, haha. He also disclosed that as long as I'm in there every other beer is on him, soooo that's great :drinker:

Nice!!!
  • OnWisconsin84
    OnWisconsin84 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    For the record, I had no intention of going out & meeting guys. I really just wanted to go out, watch some football & basketball and have a few Miller Lites :wink: Also, I can hold my own in a conversation regarding football, basketball or baseball :tongue:
  • marthafox1
    marthafox1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I thought the topic read 'women going to sports bras alone' and thought - yes, I need to know what people think of this look with shorts as I have considered it myself - but you reveal quite a bit of flesh in a bra top looks like you are trying too hard in my neck of the woods.

Then I read all the other posts and erm, stopped in my tracks....wtf has all this got to do with bra's?

Then I put my glasses on.....

On the topic in question, therefore, I say never go through life regretting anything. If you go and its disastrous - then hey, put it down to experience and move on and be stronger for it. If you go and enjoy it - bloody brill!
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Go out and have a good time.
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options

Great outcome! Cheers :drinker:
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Sunday I went to Buffalo Wild Wings alone. I had 3 beers, ordered nachos and watched Brady cause the game wasn't on regular tv.

Several men approached me...Spoke to all of them for a few minutes...and went back to the game. Honestly, none of them sparked my interest. Otherwise, I would have invited them to join ;-)

Go...have fun :happy:

PS - Call me if you are ever in MD...
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I thought the topic read 'women going to sports bras alone' and thought - yes, I need to know what people think of this look with shorts as I have considered it myself - but you reveal quite a bit of flesh in a bra top looks like you are trying too hard in my neck of the woods.

Then I read all the other posts and erm, stopped in my tracks....wtf has all this got to do with bra's?

Then I put my glasses on.....

On the topic in question, therefore, I say never go through life regretting anything. If you go and its disastrous - then hey, put it down to experience and move on and be stronger for it. If you go and enjoy it - bloody brill!

LMAO :-)

I live in Florida. If I didn't still jiggle so much, I would wear just a bra and shorts to run in the hotter months. Not because I'm trying to do anything, but because it would be more comfortable.
  • lconley3
    Options
    Ok,

I am a football fan and sometimes I really want to go out and watch the game among others, but I felt funny about it. I'm going to give it a shot!:smile: