Parents - how do you keep the heck away from your kids snack

Options
13»

Replies

• 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I used to but I am so lazar pin point focused right now nothing bothers me.:grumble: Yea right!:noway:

My kids don't get anything that is a deal breaker for me. My favorites have to stay out of the house right now. Thats all there is to it. BTW, fruit snakes don't bother mr. Its the doritos and swiss cake rolls I would not be able to handle. So I don't buy them.:bigsmile:
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    This is something that I struggle with as well.

For the people who mentioned finishing their kids plates, I try to remember what I call "The Parable of the Waists". My mom told me that she once over heard a conversation between two aunts. One was heavy and the other thin. As they cleaned up the table after their children's lunch, the thin aunt was scraping the left overs into the trash and the heavy aunt was eating what was left on the plates. The heavy aunt looked at her sister throwing the food away and asked how she coulkd let so much food go to waste. The thin aunt replied that if she ate the food, it would go to her waist.
  • rfechter
    rfechter Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I find this really tough. My son is away at college but when he was home for winter break my husband and I restocked the house with his favorite foods. I found it next to impossible to not increase my eating while he was home. Whenever possible I try to teach my son to eat healthy as my husband and I do.
  • txjulie
    txjulie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Sadly I like to eat more snack & junk foods than my son. He's preferred fresh fruits & veggies since he was first eating so he's on the right path. He doesn't drink juice or sodas either - mainly water with 1 lemonade a day. I would love to not want & crave the junk.

I did find some protein bars that are my new "treats". I figure this way they are at least healthier for me and taste a bit like a treat.

I wouldn't fret over your son having fruit snacks, chips, cookies & crackers as long as they fit into his overall healthy food balance. Kids burn more calories as they are growing and, let's be realistic people, they need to learn how to eat things in moderation. If you completely restrict it from them they will rebel at some point & discover it on their own as some sort of forbidden treat.

I'd just be honest in your food diary if you do eat some of his snacks so you can use that to keep yourself in line with what your ultimate goal is.
  • hsmithway
    hsmithway Posts: 191
    Options
    This is something that I struggle with as well.

For the people who mentioned finishing their kids plates, I try to remember what I call "The Parable of the Waists". My mom told me that she once over heard a conversation between two aunts. One was heavy and the other thin. As they cleaned up the table after their children's lunch, the thin aunt was scraping the left overs into the trash and the heavy aunt was eating what was left on the plates. The heavy aunt looked at her sister throwing the food away and asked how she coulkd let so much food go to waste. The thin aunt replied that if she ate the food, it would go to her waist.

Another good point!

I have trouble throwing food out, too. However, I have a compost pile and a dog who can eat almost anything, so I can avoid putting most scraps in the trash. Instead, things like half a piece of peanut butter toast become "dog treats", and things that aren't safe for the dog to eat can go in the compost and become "fertlizer." Which really helps me feel like I'm not being wasteful, and I don't feel nearly as compelled to eat leftover bits of food.

Compost piles are great. I'm still *using* the food, even if I'm not eating it.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    No. I don't want that in my house, or in their diets. So I don't buy sugar treats. If my kids eat the way I do, they won't have to discover MFP when they're 30 like me.

This!!
  • Lady_Chilli
    Lady_Chilli Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Well overall I made sure when I started the diet that there was to be no junk food in the house. However I understand and its not a bad thing that kids like the occasional treat and if I'm honest its tough, takes a lot of willpower.
  • bfrice1
    bfrice1 Posts: 62
    Options
    I buy stuff I don't like. My son loves any kind of white cake, which I hate, and my mom loves popsicles (which I also don't really like). So when I do bring in sweets, it's some kind of white cake or popsicles.
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    1. I don't often buy them stuff that is unhealthy for me. They eat what I eat.
    2. When I do buy them snacks or treats that would not be a wise choice for me, I buy them things I don't like.

There is no non-medical (celiac, diabetic, etc) reason for a parent to have a different diet than their kids.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Your kids will benefit from a healthy diet also.
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    While I'm certainly not trying to encourage unhealthy snacking, keep in mind you can still have some of your faves if it falls within your calorie range (moderation is key)...

:flowerforyou:

Thank goodness, a voice of reason. Surely there's nothing wrong with a little fun in life. Just don't go mad. My 3 are all capable of making their own choices now, and do so sensibly. They all eat junk sometimes, as do I; just a bit of thought and good sense will prevail.
    I'm not trying to be contentious, just honest.
  • aircantu1
    aircantu1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I don't keep it in the house. They get enough processed junk at grandparent's, school, friend's houses, etc... It's EVERYWHERE! I don't worry that they're not getting to experience childhood or whatever just because there's no junk in the house. I prepare the same thing for all of us.