40+Club-Making it Work

Options

Replies

• mkwood10
    mkwood10 Posts: 428
    Options
    Greetings to all on this beautiful, sunny morning!!:glasses: :glasses:

FINALLY made it back to Curves last night and was very surprised at my results. Less than 1 pound weight gain (figured it was a whole lot more than that), burned 398 calories in 30 minutes and advanced on half the machines. Not too bad for not working out since the end of April:happy: I really missed it, and intend to keep going back at least 2 if not 3 times per week. The house will just have to get reassembled more slowly - I need the workouts!!!

Summer's almost here, and I'm nowhere near bikini-worthy :sad: :sad: Good thing I ordered a tankini early this spring - I'm sure we'll hit the lake this weekend even though the water's only 64° - BBBRRRRR!!!! :noway: :noway: :noway: Not going in the water but it'll sure be nice to be back on the boat and see "lake friends" at Nudie Beach. No, it's not a real nude beach, it's just what it's called.....:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: The only nudity I've ever heard about happens later at night after everyone but the hardcore party crowd has gone home. No thanks............:noway: :noway:

My goal is to be able to wear the expensive Victoria's Secret bikinis I bought last summer again before the end of this summer! Not too concerned about my actual weight, but I want to look good enough to not be self-conscious showing my belly!!!!:wink::wink:

Have a great day all................. :smile: :smile:
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Fruits of the summer!

My husband loves to garden and grow vegetables. We have gotten butter lettuce from our backyard (made low fat, low sodium chicken taco salads with it), our first tomato and our first yellow squash! He has gotten several giant pumpkin seeds to sprout. Two years ago he grew a 90 pound pumpkin, which for around here in north Texas is pretty good. Lots of herbs to give the dog sitter when we go to Chicago. I have to clean out the refrigerator so she can open it to get the herbs. How many calories in cleaning the refrigerator? Does it increase by the number of science experiments growning in it?

Texssippian

Hee, I think housework in general should count for a lot of calories! I too, envy you your garden. I have a very small city lot and there is too much shade to grow much of anything except ferns and such. :sad: But we do have lots of farmer's markets around, so I do have access to lots of fresh veggies.

Had two great workouts with my trainer this week, full of jumping box squats, burpees, pushups, mountain climbers, boxing drills and kicks. My plan for the rest of the week is to get as much cardio time in on the stair mill and the AMT machine plus do my "arms" exercises on the Smith machine and the assisted lift machine.

And tons of yard work. Don't know why 3 day weekends bring out the home improvement bug in me.

Weight is holding steady this week, but I did splurge last weekend so I'm not surprised by the weight being stuck.

Hope everyone has something fun planned for the weekend!
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: tex...don't know how many calories cleaning a refrigerator burns but my 19 year old daughter is moving back in with me and she will be burning them.:laugh: Actually, she has put on more weight since she moved out and this will be good her. She signed up at MFP when I did but wasn't trying to lose. I am hoping that after she gets back home she will follow my example.

:flowerforyou: cardigirl..I am hoping that this three day weekend will keep me very busy and active. We are planning on grilling steaks. I haven't had one of those in so long. My 15 year old daughter doesn't like meat so I will be sharing mine with her.

:flowerforyou: mkwood..I have a Victoria's Secret catalog. I love all their clothes. Never bought any, though. There is a suit in there that I would love to have. Hey, eventually you can get Nudie Beach -worthy.:wink:

:smile: sing..I have three young grand daughters (counting my son's girlfriend's daughter). They alone can burn major calories from us.

I have had a rough week. Due to my being off of work and too many bills we didn't get to the grocery store. I have not had my usual healthy foods. Fresh fruits, yogurt, whey protein,etc. We are going to the store tonight and I will be stocking up. I have not been going over my calories count but have not been eating the "healthy" way that I have become accustom to.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful day. Only one more day until the weekend.:flowerforyou:
  • TexasMom
    TexasMom Posts: 70
    Options
    Happy Thursday :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Tron - you made me laugh so hard it hurt.... superman flying backwards. what a sight :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Hope your recovering well from your fall.

Texssippian - Your garden sounds wonderful. Ours is going to be started late. The hail storm we had in March damaged our roof and garage door, not to mention doing a number on every plant in the yard. We had to wait for the roof and gutters to be replaced before planting and I'm glad we did. I was surprised by how much junk the let fall off the roof right into what would have been my garden. They covered our pond and still some how managed to get trash in it. :grumble: I can't wait to start planting.

Becky - Your very inspiring. Wahting to get back to workouts right after surgery!!!! Take it easy, as I'm sure you will and YOU GO GIRL!!!

Traska - Welcome to the thread. We're a great bunch of folks that enjoy supporting each other. As Singfree mentioned, tell us a little about what you're doing for food and excercise. We're here for you!!

I'm having a good week considering I can't do my full workout but the leg is feeling better today and by next Monday I should be right back at it. I'm going to South Padre Island for the next 3 days with a group of high school choir kids. I'm the lone female chaperone so this should be loads of fun. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Last time I chaperoned I ended up spending my nights sitting in the halls to catch the girls that tried sneaking out of their rooms past curfew. The looks on their faces were priceless. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: We had the reschedule the trip from 2 weeks ago because of the swine flu scare so we're down to only 28 teens. I'll be able to get out on the beach and walk early every morning while their sleeping in so I'm really looking forward to that.

Many Blessings
    Nita
  • cardigirl
    Options

:flowerforyou: cardigirl..I am hoping that this three day weekend will keep me very busy and active. We are planning on grilling steaks. I haven't had one of those in so long. My 15 year old daughter doesn't like meat so I will be sharing mine with her.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful day. Only one more day until the weekend.:flowerforyou:

MmmMmmmm grilled steak! I'm thinking that's what I'll be having on the holiday for sure!

Let's hope for great weather all weekend, so we can be outside!!! And active!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • cardigirl
    Options
    TexasMom, have fun on Padre Island! I was there once, many many years ago, and loved it. Funny that you outsmarted the teenagers last year! Hee! Glad to hear your leg is healing nicely. You'll be back at it full time in no time!
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Texas..I only hope that when my girls are away for choir or band that they have a chaperone just like you. My 17 year old is very responsible but the 15 year old would be the first to sneak out that door.

I really did a yukky thing today. I ate the left over Hamburger Helper. Not only am I feeling bloated, it didn't taste very good. Going to the store soon. Will have good stuff here then.
  • mkwood10
    Options
    Texas.....have a great time on Padre! I haven't been there since I was about 15.... they were just starting to build condo on it then, but I know it's changed big time.

Swiss....... I was one of those band mom chaperones, and it never ceased to shock the kids that they'd try to sneak out and find one of us roaming the hallway all night!! Band trip to the Cotton Bowl in 1998 - 5 days of bus travel, lost instruments, band rehearsals in freezing weather, sleep deprivation and and emotional teens........ what "fun" punishment for being a good parent:laugh: :laugh: Seriously, there's only a couple of little things I would have changed, and my daughter has forgiven me for embarrassing her on New Year's Eve at Southfork Ranch (yes, where they filmed Dallas).

I'm so glad those days are over:laugh: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :laugh: :laugh: I can't wait for grandkids so I can tell my daughters their children are acting like they did!!!!
  • Texssippian
    Texssippian Posts: 235
    Options
    Texas Mom,
    I chaparoned a church retreat for teens about to be confirmed. I spent the night in the halls at a Jesuit retreat facility! You would thing there would be some restraint there.

I have a friend who chaparoned a band trip. They brought masking tape and taped all the doors shut at night. Hard to re-tape from the inside once you had untaped it...
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    nkwood...I have never chaperoned because I work. I will just let someone else have that privilege.
  • tron3002
    tron3002 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Had a nice day visiting with my daughter today... We went down to the pet store to look at the puppies. She wants the little chihuahua so badly. I hope her husband will get her the puppy. Does anyone have any big plans for the weekend? I myself would love to go camping but its so hard to get out when the hubby works 80+hours a week...:frown:
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hi Tron...I also went to a pet store. I love to watch the puppies and they always seem to have the tiniest chihuahuas. I didn't hold any of them today because when I do I feel like I am cheating on my Yorkie.:laugh:

I am planning on grilling steaks on Monday. I was to have the weekend without my kids because their dad wants to see them. But then, they told me that they have the weekend all planned out. So, they will be home again.

Well, I need to be getting to bed if I want to wake up in time to pick my husband up from work.
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday! A long weekend, YAY!!! What's everyone doing? We are recuperating...our grandson was with us since Monday and he's going home today. It was fun, but an active 18 month old can sure wear you down!

We are going out for a drink and a bite to eat this evening. Nice warm weather here in PA, about 85 degrees today. I'm having a nice cool "Spaten" beer (or two) from Munich, and my wife will have a well deserved Bombay Sapphire Martini!!!! Nothing really special planned for the weekend. Next weekend we will be packing for our trip to California. I would like to do a good amount of bike riding, or hiking on the Appalachian Trail.

I continued my workout routine as usual this week. Not much biking as we had our grandson with us. I concentrated on strength this week. I also upped my cals to see if that will jump-start my fat loss. I did have a few cheats however. Oh well, just jump back in the saddle and keep going. Overall I am pleased with my progress, staying at 152 lbs.

Have a great weekend!
  • mkwood10
    Options
    nkwood...I have never chaperoned because I work. I will just let someone else have that privilege.

Swiss............... at the time I was working at the high school my daughter attended, so it was Christmas break for all of us. Yeah, I know, hubby and I were gluttons for punishment to give up 5 days of a well-deserved break to take 200+ band kids on a road trip!! :laugh: :laugh:
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,806 Member
    Options
    Morning everybody! Just time for a quick check-in before heading out for vacation. Yay!

I'm holding at 107.7, which I hit on Monday. I'm happy with that because I really don't want to lose anymore. I upped my calories this week to 1600 (a little more yesterday), and feel that is really plenty to eat most days. After our vacation, I'll probably up them to 1700 to see what happens. While away, I'm going to do my best to count calories, but I'm not going to be ridiculous about it either. I figure I'll be okay as long as I stay away from the obvious things like desserts and fried foods and huge portions and such.

I finished the second cycle of STS yesterday, and can't wait to start the final cycle (heavy lifting) when we get back. I'm still loving the results. My husband is amazed at how much muscle is showing on my body right now. I think he's jealous. :tongue:

Hope everybody has a wonderful long weekend, and I'll see you in a week. Stay healthy! :flowerforyou:
  • kelligirl
    kelligirl Posts: 210
    Options
    Stiring - Happy Birthday tomorrow!! :flowerforyou:
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,806 Member
    Options
    The same to you, kelligirl! I hope you enjoy your day. :drinker:
  • kelligirl
    kelligirl Posts: 210
    Options
    Happy Friday Everyone! Happy EVERYday! Life is Good! :flowerforyou:

As always, it's fun to read everyone's posts and what's going on. I weighed myself this morning and I'm down a pound (the same one I was down on Wed when I snuck a peek at the scale). I'm under 200! When I think back to when I weighed 150-155, and I wasn't happy with my weight *then*, it makes me wonder how I managed to get over 200#. I also makes me realize how much I need to truly appreciate this healthy journey, and how much more I'll appreciate my new and improved, healthier self when I reach my goal - or whatever happens to be my healthiest weight. :happy:

Even though I'm only down 5#, I can see a noticeable difference in what used to be my waist. That gives me great motivation - that and the fact that I can actually get into several pair of capris that were only a notion a month ago - mind you I said I can get into them.... I'm not wearing them yet!! :noway:

I hope everyone has a safe and happy Memorial day weekend, full of fun and great food choices! :drinker:
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    I am so frustrated. I had several paragraph writing to all of you and then I hit the wrong button and it all disappeared.:grumble: :mad: :angry: :explode:

So, instead of starting all over again, I will just say that I read the threads and have a good morning.
  • mkwood10
    Options
    I am so frustrated. I had several paragraph writing to all of you and then I hit the wrong button and it all disappeared.:grumble: :mad: :angry: :explode:

So, instead of starting all over again, I will just say that I read the threads and have a good morning.

Don'tcha just LOVE technology??????:grumble: :laugh: :grumble: :grumble: