Words of advice to the Newbies

Options
Hey all. Congratulations on giving it a go. That makes you different than a lot of people out there. And (to be US-centric) two-thirds of our country is overweight or obese, that's a lot of people who should take a page from you. So. You've already got an NSV (non-scale victory).

So I've been here about six months and I'm pretty darn happy with my results:
xge5hl.jpg
Frome about 2 years ago, to my start point when I thought I still looked like 2 years ago, to 6 months in.

Someone might want to ask what my weight is in all the pictures. I'm not gonna answer that. What I've figured out, is that it isn't about the scale. It is about your life. The scale is ONLY one measurement. Let's be honest. We're all here at least a little bit to look better nekkid. I know I am. Now, I'm not gonna carry my scale around and try to allure my husband with a number on the scale. It is all about other stuff.

Taking measurements, in my opinion, is a better measurement. The scale will stall, or seem annoyingly slow. You will break down and eat all the salt in the world one day and wake up the next thinking you gained 10 pounds. You didn't. That would take 35,000 calories above your burn, and I just don't think you're up to that kind of challenge. You will do something good for yourself: lifting heavy. But the day after lifting heavy, you will go up in weight. It is just water as your muscles repair themselves and make you stronger. If you're obsessed about the scale, you'll freak out and stop doing things that are good for you. So take some horrifying pictures of yourself at the beginning. In your unders or in a bikini. For me it seemed like an improbable amount of pasty white flesh, and did inspire me to cry. But here's the deal. If you don't know where you're starting from, you won't realize how much progress you've made. So take the pictures. Measure yourself in all the places on your body that you store fat or might build muscle. It keeps you from kidding yourself and it lets you know you're making progress. Also do some kind of fitness test for a before measurement. You can google it. I've seen them in Runner's World and Women's Health and Men's Health. I'm certain there are others. I was really happy the day I ran for an hour without stopping. when I started I couldn't run for 3 minutes. Even better, I got to where I like it. Also, when you start lifting, keep track of what, how much, and how many, so you can look back and see your improvement.

Now here's the thing. I'm also a hypocrite. I started this weighing myself every day, multiple times a day. But I did it to notice where my natural fluctuations are, and to not let myself freak out about a little up, or get too cocky about a little down. If you can manage not to freak out, do it. It's kind of fascinating. But if you get obsessive, don't look at the stupid thing. Just trust me: up 2 to 5 pounds during the day. Stall or even up for about a half a week before a precipitous drop. And sort of a 4-week repeat of good weight loss, average weight loss, not much or a little up, and then back again. You figure your own body out.

Please eat enough, and don't just rely upon cardio to make a caloric deficit. Start now with weights that make you sore the next day. Realize that soreness is you getting sexy. Women who lift weights look smokin hot. Women who don't look skinny, but not so healthy necessarily. Big generalization. Totally unfair. I don't care. Its true and there's tons of topics on it, go search for pictures of sexy beasts who lift. But here's my other thing. Someone said in one of those many threads that he prefers the waiffy, weak look. Please don't do that. People who like to hurt women are lazy and stupid. They generally pick women who 1) look like victims and 2) fit their disgusting paraphilic victim pool. You can't do anything about 2, but you can sure as sheet keep from being #1. Do it. Plus, if you lift and are slim and hot, you can fight back better, and that's awesome.

If you eat 1200 calories or less and you aren't losing weight, or you feel tired and hungry, or you feel sluggish, etc. Eat more and see what happens after 2 weeks. 1200 calories isn't much and if you're eating that low, really, eat back your real exercise calories. Food is NOT the enemy. This is not that hard as in complicated. It is that hard in terms of work for it. And you need the fuel to get the work done. I eat 1500 calories plus my exercise calories unless there is something wrong. I often go over on my goals and that is ok. I still like how I look. And I like where I'm going.

What did I do? Well, I was in a weight loss challenge at work that cost me money and was going to cost me $10 every time I went up .5 pounds at any of my twice a week weigh-ins. I'm cheap. that got me thinking about my choices. It got me exercising consistently enough to like it. What I did was Body for Life first. You can buy it on Amazon for essentially the price of the shipping. Its a hard read because the author likes himself very much. That got me running, so instead of his cardio plan, I started a running plan through the micoach app on my phone. It is free from addidas. Then, I wanted something different, and most of the smart sexy beast women on my friends list are doing New Rules of Lifting for Women. Its a newer book, but is also on Amazon. I flipping love it. I love going to the gym and being around my coworkers and shocking people when I load up the bar for squats. I've earned some respect. I'm also doing a 10K running plan. I also have a Tough Mudder on my calendar, which I just realized with some shock is a half marathon with torture exercises in the middle of it. I'm going with coworkers. I will NOT embarrass myself.

Find your goals. Find your most important units of measure for this effort. Take lots of kinds of measurements. Start to love your body for all it has done for you so far, and all the stupid things you've done to it but it kept with you. Don't look for a short cut--it isn't there. And try not to be discouraged.

As you get used to the land of MFP, consider looking at this group. All the smartest, funniest, most successful people answered all the questions that come up everyday anyway. Your question is probably here, and it is answered very well by folks who've lived it:
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/457-unofficial-mfp-faq

Lastly, lots of people wont' consider a friend request without a message, so add one when you send people friend requests.

Replies

• robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I :heart: you.

Very well said. Every word.
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    She speaks the truth folks.
  • AmyGilb
    Options
    Really great post! Thank you, it was well put and to the point. I was feeling pretty bad about yesterday, day 1! The website put me on a 1200 calorie diet and I did great all day long. Then I got home from work at 11 p.m. and BLEW IT. I got up again today...shifted my meals around a little and am leaving myself a light snack left in my calories for when I get home tonight and am giving it a go again today! I may have to adjust it to 1300 or 1400 calories per day though if this seems to be a trend I can't undo. I have 40 pounds to lose. I can do this! Thanks again, great post and very encouraging!
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    best post ever
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Really great post! Thank you, it was well put and to the point. I was feeling pretty bad about yesterday, day 1! The website put me on a 1200 calorie diet and I did great all day long. Then I got home from work at 11 p.m. and BLEW IT. I got up again today...shifted my meals around a little and am leaving myself a light snack left in my calories for when I get home tonight and am giving it a go again today! I may have to adjust it to 1300 or 1400 calories per day though if this seems to be a trend I can't undo. I have 40 pounds to lose. I can do this! Thanks again, great post and very encouraging!

See! I think that's a victory. We have days like that. But you are tweaking your plan based on what you experienced. I love it! Keep fighting for what you want. And 1200 is ridiculous for lots of people. I did it for a bit, but I like food and don't like hunger, and don't want to lose lean body mass in my efforts. At only 40 to lose, 1 pound a week gets you there in a year with a third of your weeks screwing up.
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    Hey, am I one of those sexy beast women?

Seriously...she speaks truth.
  • Allyson1985
    Options
    Very touching post. Thanks for sharing.
  • jetscreaminagain
    Options
    Hey, am I one of those sexy beast women?

Seriously...she speaks truth.

My whole FL is sexy. You especially, with that glass of wine. My whole FL is also really smart. Too bad many of them can't add their wisdom to this right now. They already put their wisdom in that FAQ group, though, so seriously people, go look at that.
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    This should be on the signup page for this website.

Everything a new member needs to mentally prepare themselves for their weight-loss journey is in this write-up. Way to go!
  • ShrinkRapt451
    ShrinkRapt451 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Awesome post. Every word makes sense.

Hope you don't mind if I add a few of pieces of advice to it.... :smile:

First off, especially if you're new to the gym but even if you're not, it is WORTH THE MONEY to have a trainer walk you through the different machines and free weights, help you find the right starting weights, and teach you correct form. Good form is what keeps you from hurting yourself. There is a difference between working muscles hard and injuring yourself. Your joints should NOT hurt if you've been strength-training correctly.

Warm up, cool down, and STRETCH. Listen to your body; push it, but not further than it can really go.

Drink enough water. Flavor it if you have to, but drink it. It helps flush lactic acid out after a good workout, and most people notice that they lose weight better when they drink 8-16 cups a day. (Note: a cup is 8 oz. Most drinking glasses are 12-20 oz.)

What works for you to eat healthy, lose weight and keep it off may be completely different than what works for your spouse, your best friend, or your mother. Or someone else on MFP. If what you're doing isn't working, try something different. But give it a month before you call it a failure.

We all fall off the wagon from time to time. Success isn't about being perfect, it's about getting up, dusting yourself off, and getting back on the wagon.

Finally, it's important to take good care of your mind AND your body. Your body isn't the enemy any more than food is the enemy, but your mind can certainly be, if you let it. If you tend to beat yourself up (either due to occasional indulgences or as an everyday activity): please consider making it a top-priority goal to treat yourself as though you were your best friend. Be loving and kind, but honest. Avoid bullying or put-downs or name-calling. When you're disappointed, let it be about the behavior and not the person. Believe that you have the ability to do amazing things. Forgive. And stand up for yourself when you (or someone else) treats you badly! :smile:
  • irishgal44
    irishgal44 Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything you said. Looks like we have had similar circumstances to help us realize these points. Eating more, running, weight lifting equals sexy, measuring and stepping away from the scale, etc. Great job!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    Yep. True.
  • melanielynn123
    Options
    Wow. Thanks for the advice. Did I say wow?!?:smile:
  • BuildABetterMe
    Options
    I've earned some respect.

You sure have! Incredible post.
  • lizzybee22
    lizzybee22 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Great post. I'm not new to getting fit but I am new to MFP and this was helpful. I have to admit that even after 30+/- lbs lost in a year, I *Still* let myself get distracted by a gain. When the scale is up, I find myself getting a little depressed, a little panicky. But everything you said here is so true. I've done this long enough to know that yep, it is typically due to TOM, or I've had some big losses the week before or after. Last year I focused on ftness (which I will continue), but this year, I'm also ready to focus on nutrition and eating "clean."
  • alishuman
    Options
    Great post - thanks for sharing. This newbie appreciates every word.

Now I'm off to take some before pictures... Eep!
  • jetscreaminagain
    Options
    Thank you everyone who added. Especially the added advice.

There are so many great, smart, helpful folks here. It more than makes up for the douchebaggery you find here.

Little more advice. Weigh the credibility of advice givers here(including me). Lots of opinions. Some get results and some don't.

Also,it is unlikely that your loved ones are trying to sabbotage you and ruin your life if they take you to lunch or bake you some sweets. Someone will say it. But the truth is that that can coexist with your fitness efforts unless what you're doing is ill advised.
  • smplycomplicated
    smplycomplicated Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Awesome advice!
  • april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    TRUTH. END. OF. STORY...

BOOM! :)
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    When in doubt just ask WWCD (what would Carl do) and you can`t go wrong. :smokin:

On second thought maybe you better not. :embarassed:

Just remember,you can have fun here too,that is what the Chit Chat forum is for,not always fitness related...sometimes just plain silliness.
    If you give it a chance you will make some of the best friends you could ever hope for.:drinker: