Thigh Gap Desires

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I think the thigh gap desire is silly.. just like the six pack ab obsession.

Not everyone is going to have them... so might as well just accept your body how it is and make it the best it can be.

If it means that you that your thighs touch or your stomach is not 100% flat.. then so be it.

I DO understand the people wanting to not have to deal with chafing. But what they need to realize is that even without the gap, at a healthy weight, the chafing goes away, gap or no gap.

Wanting it for aesthetic reasons, well, it's just not something I understand. But then, while I want a smaller, more toned body, I very much like my overall shape. I wouldn't change much about it.
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    I have a thigh gap... Just saying
  • Scoobies100
    Options
    I do not get this. I had a gap between my thighs when I was a teenager and looking back on photos I looked scrawny. I will work hard to achieve my goal weight but I have learnt to accept my curvy thighs.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    The thigh gap is enviable. It's the yardstick I go by!!

However too much looks a little bow legged.

I had a ballet teacher when I was a teenager who said "sexy legs have a gap between thighs and knees and between knees and calves and calves and ankles" .
    It always stayed with me.
  • Queen_Christine
    Queen_Christine Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    This obsession with a gap between the thighs is very strange to me.

But the truth is, it really depends mostly on the size of your hips and your genes. You may never have one, so you should enjoy and appreciate your thighs now and their lack of a gap.

Focus on something more important, like your fitness abilities. Those you can have and improve on. Thigh gaps come and go or never come in the first place.

This ^

When I was younger I was always very thin and I had a "thigh gap". At the time I didnt know or even dream that anyone would ever want that because along with that thigh gap came extremely skinny legs - and nicknames like chicken legs, bird legs and stick legs. I didn't like it. They weren't the sexy, curvy, mature legs of a woman, the were the legs of a child! Then as I got into my 30's and began to piick up weight it didn't go to my legs or thighs, it went to my middle, around the waist, and it stayed there and grew. I have looked pregnant for 20 years. I would LOVE to have a small waist like you, but I realize I would probably have big thighs if I had a small waist because it has to go somewhere, and genes are what gave me this shape - my mother and grandmother both had basketball tummies and skinny legs! I look more like an ostrich than a coke bottle. Girls with bigger thighs are pear shaped. So your choice is ostrich or pear, neither are desireable. Also keep in mind that women that carry their weight around their middle as opposed to the thights are more ceceptible to heart attacks. And women tend to carry their weight in their thighs and men tend to carry their weight in their middle.

But don't obsess about it, if you're healthy and your weight is in the healthy range, then you are most likely the only person noticing the size of your thighs.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Don't they have a store for this? Its called the gap.

As for a gap between your thighs, why? Let me tell you as a guy, by the time my eyes roam down to between your legs I'm not really going to care one way or the other.

If its for other ladies. Generally speaking, girls don't seem to care more about personality than looks.

If its for yourself, life is going to have a lot more disappointment than just a leg gap.

Go buy some jeans at the GAP, it will have a label. mission accomplished.
  • kimbly71
    kimbly71 Posts: 188
    Options
    In 2003 I was in the absolute best shape of my life and very very tone. I am 5'10 and weighted 125 lbs and my thighs STILL touched. DNA and your families genes can be difficult to handle, but it does not mean that you have to hate yourself for it. The fact of the matter is, you have to embrace the idea of being the YOU you can be. We are not all going to have legs like Charlize Theron's legs....I know I don't. :)
  • kimbly71
    kimbly71 Posts: 188
    Options
    I do not desire a gap, but I would like to walk really fast without my thighs catching on fire....just saying its not a comfty feeling!!!
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    When I was younger I was always very thin and I had a "thigh gap". At the time I didnt know or even dream that anyone would ever want that because along with that thigh gap came extremely skinny legs - and nicknames like chicken legs, bird legs and stick legs. I didn't like it. They weren't the sexy, curvy, mature legs of a woman, the were the legs of a child! Then as I got into my 30's and began to piick up weight it didn't go to my legs or thighs, it went to my middle, around the waist, and it stayed there and grew. I have looked pregnant for 20 years. I would LOVE to have a small waist like you, but I realize I would probably have big thighs if I had a small waist because it has to go somewhere, and genes are what gave me this shape - my mother and grandmother both had basketball tummies and skinny legs! I look more like an ostrich than a coke bottle. Girls with bigger thighs are pear shaped. So your choice is ostrich or pear, neither are desireable. Also keep in mind that women that carry their weight around their middle as opposed to the thights are more ceceptible to heart attacks. And women tend to carry their weight in their thighs and men tend to carry their weight in their middle.

But don't obsess about it, if you're healthy and your weight is in the healthy range, then you are most likely the only person noticing the size of your thighs.
    "chicken legs, bird legs and stick legs. I didn't like it. They weren't the sexy, curvy, mature legs of a woman, they were the legs of a child! "
    that's honestly the first thing that comes to mind when i hear "thigh gap" :laugh:
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I think there may be a generation gap issue with this thigh gap thing. I remember, aged about 15, 20+ years ago, the prettiest, most popular girl in my year admiring my legs because she said I had the right 3 gaps, but she wasn't talking about my thighs not touching at all, she just meant you could see a gap between them.

I googled to see what 'thigh gap' means today, and, to be honest, the pictures I got made me feel rather queasy.

I love when the last bit of fat that feels excessive to me finally departs my inner thighs, but I know now not to say that what I want is a thigh gap. I want a gap between my thighs, but not the modern, barbie-like interpretation of that gap. I'm not about to embrace a physical 'fashion' that turns my stomach.

If the OP is after the old-fashioned thigh gap, I'd say that mine is the last thing to appear, just as I hit goal weight (5'4", 55kg (about 121lb)) and I think Jillian helped too. I can't imagine how low my BF% would have to go to get the modern thigh gap and I wouldn't risk my reproductive health trying to achieve that.
  • anjanettecomer
    Options
    GUY HERE, And I myself am working on perceived physical flaws caused by excess bodyfat. And I may get flamed for this, because I realize that you guys aren't necessarily doing it to please the opposite sex. But, FWIW, I don't think I have ever discussed the physical attributes of a woman with other guys and the topic of "thigh gaps" has come up. Most guys i know like firm, toned legs of most any size . So, is this a girl thing?

Possibly a "girl thing." Being a 40-year-old woman, I would not know. It's a new one on me.
  • alishuman
    Options
    I do not desire a gap, but I would like to walk really fast without my thighs catching on fire....just saying its not a comfty feeling!!!

I read this 5 minutes ago and I'm still giggling. Too funny. And, me too! That's where all my jeans wear out first, and I hate that!
  • maryellen8301
    maryellen8301 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    She's note crazy. i want the thigh gap too. i get jealous of woman who have thigh gaps.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Yeah you look "trim," but you don't look fit at all, you actually look anorexic (you claim you have muscles, if this is true, I'd be curious to know how much you can squat ;)...[insert rude, inappropriate evaluations here]..Oh, and finally, the whole yoga "long lean muscles" is a complete myth. You need resistance to build muscle, and yoga just cannot offer the level of resistance necessary. Do your research.

First of all - you can't tell anything about someone's fitness by one photo. I am fit, perfectly healthy (blood panels always in ideal ranges) I work out about four or five days a week, and can easily run a 9 minute mile. I work at a women's gym that works with hydraulic resistance (so it doesn't tell how much weight is on it), but I did go to a traditional gym a few weeks ago and (while they didn't have a squat machine) I did three sets of 170 on the leg press. It wouldn't be appropriate for me to say someone wasn't fit just because they had a few extra pounds of them, and it's not appropriate for you to tell a stranger that they aren't fit because they don't have extra pounds on them.

Also, are you really serious about yoga not building muscle/strength? When was the last time you did yoga? Your entire body is used as resistance in yoga.

http://youtu.be/9e72knKHWwE

^So this woman is doing this with no muscle or strength?

Word.

I was going to jump in and defend yoga, but you've beat me to the punch. I freaking hate it when people throw out "you look anorexic" as an insult. Anorexia is a disease. You think they would say something like "You look like you have AIDs", "You look you have Cancer", "You have that diabetes look." Probably not - because it's tactless and cruel.

/rant
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I can't believe this thread is still going.
  • mariarose88
    Options
    I completely understand where you're coming from. For those of you who don't get why someone might want a thigh gap, let me introduce you to the wonderful world of thigh chafe. If you've never had to put vaseline or lotion between your things just so you can wear shorts than you can't possibly understand. I'm dying for a thigh gap too. I'm so sick of the pain and getting those little bumps from chafing. I can't wait til I'm toned enough to wear shorts & skirts without tights!!! Good luck!!
  • myboysmomx2
    myboysmomx2 Posts: 505 Member
    Options

Oh my gosh I just about died laughing when I read this! I can identify with you sister! When I first started out, I wore calf length workout pants (yoga pants) to walk and do step aerobics in because I couldn't wear shorts! I don't know if the same thing happened to you or not, but my shorts would ride up on me on one leg or the other making me totally uncomfortable. I was always having to pull the leg down but alas, it would ride up again. NOT attractive or fun! So, I kept at it and I've lost over 10.55" combined in my thighs. I'm not there yet, and I may never have a gap, but I'm working on being toned.....that's my goal :-)
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will help in work or social situations but skin glide is really helpful when running.
  • karleen
    karleen Posts: 260
    Options
    I completely understand your desire for the thigh gap. It's a great look, and let's face it, most guys find it very attractive haha.

Ive never met a guy who cared about my thighs being big. nor one whod particularyl notice whether or not a girl has a gap between them. i think theyre more focused on the 'wow im with a chick!!' factor once they get close enough to realize if youre thighs gap or not..

personally id love a gap.. i do however think a lot of obsessions about some parts are unhealthy.. the collar bones, the hip bones, the thigh gaps.. i mean, im still pretty big and my hips and collar bones protude.. but its usually associated with the ED community..