Anyone else on 1200 a day?

Options
Seems really low to me since anything less is starvation. This is what was recommended for 2lbs a week and for 1.5 lbs I only get 1300. I don't know seems low to me, anyone else out there working with this number too?

Replies

• driaxx
    driaxx Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Yep. It didn't seem too low to me at first, except the past few weeks I've noticed I couldn't stick to my goals so I added heaps of protein into my diet and that seems to be working so far.
  • Alowellschade
    Alowellschade Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes, but once you add exercise then your calorie goal goes up. So, I typically walk 4miles a day at a very brisk pace (4.5-5mph) and that gives me an additional 341 calories.
  • LittleMissAngi
    LittleMissAngi Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I started at that, but really felt deprived so I upped it to 1400.... Helped out A LOT!
  • divergrrl
    divergrrl Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Yes I thought so too! But I dont find myself starving and I do allow a "cheat" day to exceed 1200, but not by much. Eat slowly, taste your food, enjoy it! Drink your 8-10 glasses of water, be wise with the calories! If I go to a resturaunt I look up food on the menu before ordering to see how many calories I have to work with!
  • kaydensmom12
    Options
    It recommended that for me for a 1 lb weight loss but I upped it to 1300, and always eat back my exercise calories. I did the 1200 for 6 months without eating the exercise calories back (wasn't on MFP and didn't know you were supposed to) and lost 35lbs but was miserable most of the time. This works alot better for me and I am full most of the time.
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I tried it a long long long time ago and I was miserable. I eat 1430 now, or even more if I'm hungry. I also eat back almost all of my exercise calories (usually at least 80%, if not all of them).

Hey, what can I say? I like to eat! :)
  • ComeAroundSundown
    ComeAroundSundown Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am. At first I found it a little difficult but after a week or so of logging, you become more aware of the calories that are in the foods you eat and start to make healthier decisions based on that. Fruit and vegetables are so much lower in calories than processed foods that I can eat quite a lot of them and stay at or even slightly under 1200.
  • Cosmic_Unicorn
    Cosmic_Unicorn Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I did it for several months when I was heavier, and it wasn't too much of an issue. But after I was in a healthier weight range (overweight BMI versus obese) I couldn't do it anymore. It was hard and I wasn't losing weight anymore. So I bumped it up to 1400 and felt way better and started losing again. Every person is different, and if you can't do 1200 then go higher. You need something you can maintain, and you shouldn't be suffering while learning how to eat healthier and have a better lifestyle. Then what's the point anyway?
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I am also on 1200 a day.

I eat my 1200 and do my best to eat back my exercise calories but sometimes I am too full and can't manage it.

If you exercise and burn 300 calories, that takes your 1200 to 1500.

Starting calories + exercise calories = total calories to consume,

Took me a while to get my head around it. Because I am not thinking about what I am eating and caring more about what I am putting into mu body I am finding that 1200 a day for me is very comfortable but I struggle to consume more so I made Granola. Very healthy but also high in calories. Puts me up without being full of bad fats and even though it is healthy it feels 'naughty' because of the calorie content and is very yummy.
  • bajabuggy
    bajabuggy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    hi

im on about 1200 as well. tomorrow is my first day and that is what the program has advised to eat. I have filled in my diary of what i plan to eat and it seems a reasonable amount of food as it is all 'good' food. I guess just do what suits you as everyone is different.
  • BooLives82
    BooLives82 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am looking to loose 1.5 pounds a week; however, because I am sticking to the 1380 calories I get, any extra calories I get from exercising, I bank. I have lost 3 pounds in 3 days, this is mainly cuz I shocked my system in to the weight loss. There will be good weeks and bad weeks, days with no weight loss, The best advise I have been given is to set a goal for the month. That way if you have a bad week it doesn't kill your goals.... Slow and steady wins the race.
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 calories... I have been since May when I joined. I've had a couple of weeks off here and there, but I have successfully lost 25 kilos (well until I took a fortnight off over Christmas lol). If I want to eat any more I exercise! To be honest I don't really even eat my exercise calories. I fit 3 meals in a day, morning tea and afternoon tea and even something after dinner and I do this by eating nutritious healthy food - wholegrains, vegetables, fruit, lean meats and low fat dairy. I rarely feel hungry because this is such good healthy food. I won't lie, it's taken some will power to curb some cravings, but I've never been a chocolate person - but I love my icecream and lolly's and enjoy them once or twice a week (instead of once or twice a day lol). I still eat out, probably once a week on average - this week was Chinese and Indian and I stayed under my calorie count both times. As I mentioned, I exercise to increase my calorie intake and while I'm out I make healthy choices.

It is daunting at the start, but let's face it - what you were doing in the past obviously wasn't working. This works. Trust me! As long as you are honest with yourself, track everything and move often. You can do it! As long as you want it, really, really want it - you'll succeed. Good luck! Enjoy the journey, every minute of it :)
  • lurkette
    lurkette Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I found 1,200 to be too difficult, especially since I was used to a lot more. The sudden drop left me starving and irritable all the time, so I had to fix my goal to 1,500. And even now sometimes I can't make my goal because I'm still starving and irritable all the time. ~Sigh~
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Hell no, that's way too low! I've usually been on around 1400 - 1600 net calories a day and I've lost weight and kept it off. Eating so little can't be good for you.
  • rabiahama
    Options
    I'm back on 1200 cals a day and find it quite easy. I have increased exercise too which would allow me to take in upto an additional 600 cals a day but I find I am quite full on the 1200 - just as long as its been good clean healthy food I dont get hunger pangs!
  • missfluffyuk
    Options
    I"m on 1200 cals a day, and when I'm bothering to pay attention to what I eat I don't have too many problems with it, as long as I exercise. The exercise is mostly so I can allow some room to satisfy my sweet tooth though -- not because I'm hungry.
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I have no problems as i eat my exercise calories back and most days i burn at least 400 calories. I may go over occasionally but i'm not worried about that as i'm usually under my calorie goal most days.
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    :noway: :noway: Nope! :noway: :noway:
    I would probably pass out if I only ate 1200 a day!
  • GeneaCindy
    GeneaCindy Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'm on the 1200 cal/day plan. I work out everyday, and I try not to eat back all of the exercise calories. Some days the 1200 is plenty and some days I feel like I need those exercise calories back. I try not to focus on the daily as much, but to look at it over a whole week. As I get closer to my goal weight, I know I will have to re-evaluate the diet.
  • bridall
    bridall Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm on the 1200 cals/day, but every day I either go to the gym, walk the dog or both so I often have more like 1500-1600 cals to use.
    I'm not sure I could stick to only eating 1200 cals for that long.