Has anyone tried/had success with Alli?

Options
I was given a bottle and haven't tried it yet. Well, really because I haven't really started yet...Tomorrow is my kickoff. I had a lot of success with MFP the last time I did it, and I did it with out any aids. I was wondering if I should add Alli in with my new journey? Looking for advice, and real pros and cons real users have had. Thanks!!!

Replies

• kemeko
    kemeko Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Isn't Alli the same things as Xenical (Orlistat) but just a smaller dosage?

I took it YEARS ago but I didn't find it to be particularly helpful. What Orlistat does is block your body's ability to absorb fat. Fat wasn't the only thing making me overweight, so instead of losing weight I just had a fear of fatty foods and those incredible side effects you've heard about: oily spotting on underwear (yeah it happened), URGENT bowel movements, gas, oily stools, stomach pain, etc. You will experience side effects... and often!

This medication also blocks your body's ability to absorb fat-soluble vitamins like A, D, E and K. So if you're brave enough to risk the nasty side effects (or have a really good deterrent to stop you from eating fatty foods... and the pill makes no distinction between good fat and bad fat), then make sure you also take a good multivitamin.

Personally I would not recommend it. (Wish there was a thumbs down icon... because it really belongs here!) :noway:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    99% of the responses you are going to get are going to talk about the potential of loose stools. Honestly if you had success without it before, don't bother with it. Sucks that someone gave it to you because that probably means you can't return it.
  • Spayrroe
    Spayrroe Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it, and I fear all of the side effects listed by the poster above. The best thing is to discuss the risks vs. benefits with your doctor. I thought about it a few times, but decided against it because it strikes me as something you'd have to be on for like ever to keep the weight off. I could be wrong about that, since it's just an assumption is is backed up with no research.
  • lovekck
    lovekck Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Don't do it.

You'll s*** orange everywhere...and still not lose weight.

I'm not kidding
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    There was a post about this the other day. I understand that there is a lot of leakage involved in using any thing that traps fat. Honestly, if you eat clean you shouldn't really need a pill to trap the fat, because there won't be excessive fat in your diet to begin with.
  • lgwhizz
    lgwhizz Posts: 65
    Options
    Same as above really! tried it but only for a dew days as that was all i could handle. Not only did orangey/yellow oil stuff come out of your bum when you go to the toilet, but there is spotting in your pants and also when you flush the loo the oil diesnt all go away, just floats there...........BARF.

Sorry to be so crude but its the truth! I still have loads left and would honestly use them if i felt they were any help, but they arent.

Take care!
  • kemeko
    kemeko Posts: 161 Member
    Options

LOL... lovekck speaks the truth! The things we do for beauty! :laugh:
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Yeah, like everyone else said, butt leakage is a very common symptom.

It's a lot easier and less gross to lose weight the right way, eating less and moving more.
  • SquishyVicki
    SquishyVicki Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    hi - same as above.....i haven't tried it but my friend did and had the same 'orange' problem from a certain area. She even had to take a few days off work until it cleared up as she didn't work close enough to a toilet.....eek!

If you did well without aids before then just keep doing what you did before.....good luck!!
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    My sister takes it and eats low fat so doesnt get any of the side effects listed above. You are likely to only get those if you are still consuming a high fat diet and eating things like pizza and chips and other crap. I think you should give it a try If thats what you want to do. Just avoid over oily foods and limit thigs like eggs that could cause a side effect.

If anyorne mentions any type of suppliment on here you seem to get a barrage of opinions telling you not to do it. Honestly its an over the counter chemist aid to dieting and it isnt going to kill you. Go with the information in the leaflet and all will be well.

Good luck Just dont wear thongs!! Only kidding :O) x
  • SquishyVicki
    SquishyVicki Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    hi - same as above.....i haven't tried it but my friend did and had the same 'orange' problem from a certain area. She even had to take a few days off work until it cleared up as she didn't work close enough to a toilet.....eek!

If you did well without aids before then just keep doing what you did before.....good luck!!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I heard it works best taken on an empty stomach just before an all you can eat pizza buffet. You might want to wash it down with light beer.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Good luck with Alli , but I had great luck with just eating right and exercising.

The results have been wonderful.
    Just try it for a year, and let me know how that works for you.

Seriously, Alli sounds like just another scam to take your money.
  • Queen_Christine
    Queen_Christine Posts: 342 Member
    Options

LOL... lovekck speaks the truth! The things we do for beauty! :laugh:

I've heard that too - can you say BUTT-LEAK

No thank you!
  • danielle1983cov
    Options
    I used it for a few months. I only lost a few pounds. Obviously you don't get the side effects if you aren't eating the fatty foods, but that means I'd have got exactly the same results by just eating a low fat diet (though you could have as much sugar etc as you wanted!). It also completely messed up my menstrual cycle. I didn't have a period for three months while I was on it, and it took three months to get back to normal when I stopped taking it. Worth a try if you're desperate, just be careful! Good luck with whatever you decide to do!x
  • sharishopalot
    sharishopalot Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Yeah, like everyone else said, butt leakage is a very common symptom.

It's a lot easier and less gross to lose weight the right way, eating less and moving more.

I bought a bottle about 3 1/2 years ago. Leakage was the one thing that everyone was waring me about.... NO THANK YOU.. I ended up prego and the pills expired so in the trash they went.... YEAH!!!
    Dieting is about a life style change... And a pill a person can't possibly take it forever. So then what happens when you stop taking it? YUP weight gainage... The old fashion way is so much better...
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    I was given a bottle and haven't tried it yet. Well, really because I haven't really started yet...Tomorrow is my kickoff. I had a lot of success with MFP the last time I did it, and I did it with out any aids. I was wondering if I should add Alli in with my new journey? Looking for advice, and real pros and cons real users have had. Thanks!!!

It sounds like either:
    (a) that person doesn't like you, or,
    (b) isn't aware of the side effects.

If you decide to use it, just make sure you wear dark clothing and don't stray too far from the bathroom.
  • Spayrroe
    Spayrroe Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    My sister takes it and eats low fat so doesnt get any of the side effects listed above. You are likely to only get those if you are still consuming a high fat diet and eating things like pizza and chips and other crap. I think you should give it a try If thats what you want to do. Just avoid over oily foods and limit thigs like eggs that could cause a side effect.

If anyorne mentions any type of suppliment on here you seem to get a barrage of opinions telling you not to do it. Honestly its an over the counter chemist aid to dieting and it isnt going to kill you. Go with the information in the leaflet and all will be well.

Good luck Just dont wear thongs!! Only kidding :O) x

I know there are a lot of people on these boards that will get up in arms if you mention using any chemical aid in your weight loss. I have mixed feelings on it. I don't consume "diet" foods that have fake sweeteners in them because, based on my research, those things are terrible for you. My big push this month is to completely eliminate corn syrup and high fructose corn syrup from my diet because I don't like what the research says about that kind of stuff either. I think if you're taking a multi vitamin because you're concerned about not getting enough of the vitamins you need, that's great. I think a lot of the diet pills are bad for you because of what they do to your body, but then I take antibiotics if I get sick, so meh.
  • Hattiemayperkins
    Options
    You shouldn't experience any side effects with alli if you aren't eating any high fat meals. I find it a good way to ensure I don't cheat as once you have experienced the side effects you don't want to! I normally just take one a day after my evening meal as it is the largest meal I eat throughout the day.
  • FruityLoops
    FruityLoops Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    My doctor suggested a few months ago that I try Orlistat/Xenical (same as Alli but a higher dose) as I have PCOS which makes it very hard to lose weight, though I have managed it in the past but that was with a LOT of exercise which I can no longer do as I have Psoriatic Arthritis in most joints on my right side. She felt that taking it could give me the boost I needed to get going, but I did put it off a few weeks to think about it and do some research first, admittedly it helped that I have to have monthly blood tests because of my Arthritis meds so could keep a close eye on my kidney/liver functions. I chose to give it a try anyways despite the horror stories I'd read from some people!

I can't speak for everyone, but for me as long as I stick to no more than 15g of fat per meal or approx 40g per day I don't have any side effects at all. The only time I had an issue was over Xmas when I was admittedly going well over the advised intake (because we were staying at my parents and I didn't have as much control over what I was eating), but it was nowhere near as bad as some people have said, I had to go to the loo more often than normal and they were very loose and very orange, but I didn't have any near misses or 'leaks'. Having said that it was enough to make me not take the Orlistat for the last 2 days we were visiting, and I'm not eager to go over the advised intake again so in that respect the side effects did their job!!

Anyways, so on the Orlistat with a very strict diet I lost a stone in my first month, admittedly I haven't lost much since but I did rather slip over Xmas. My mother-in-law incidentally has tried Alli and she hasn't had any side effects at all despite the fact that she does have a lot higher fat diet than me, so I wouldn't be too scared about the side effects.