My mom said I still look the same..

but i know i lost more than 10pounds..she laughed at me and thinking that I cant do it.. Because shes also big..
I hate that feeling :(

Replies

• nalfavi
    nalfavi Posts: 174 Member
    My grandmother does that too. You have to ignore it, and keep in mind that YOU know you are losing. You're losing for yourself, and I'm sure you're feeling better and have more energy. 10+lbs is a lot! You have nothing to prove with your weight loss to anyone, including your mother, as harsh as it may sound. You can do it, you ARE doing it, and that's what matters :)
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    It could be her own jealousy being reflected back at you. Don't let it get you down...you look great and you'll keep looking better! Sometimes when a person is not satisfied with him or herself, that insatisfaction comes across as critism. Look for support here where the rest of us feel your pain! I started a group on my FB page too for those that are weight-loss and fitness minded. It helps when you have friends and family that are supportive.
  • thanks for your response :)
  • MMH86
    MMH86 Posts: 120 Member
    keep your head up & keep striving towards your goals! xo
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,082 Member
    You need to surround yourself with possitive support group that would motivate you to get healthy.
    Don't discuss talk with your mom about your weight, she will break you down.
    My mom is like that also about everything in genenral. And I'm 47 yrs old.
    I realize I can't change her attitude so I just change mine.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Also remember she sees you everyday, your gradual weight loss may not be so apparent to her. When you change just a little each day it's hard to notice. Your brain gets used to the tiny differences.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,247 Member
    but i know i lost more than 10pounds..she laughed at me and thinking that I cant do it.. Because shes also big..

aw :((

Do yourself a favour and don't tell her any info anymore regarding your eating or anything to do with your weightloss. It's difficult enough as it is, without putting yourself through that too.

That's why MFP is so good, you can surround yourself with positive people and positive ideas - bit of a weird one that actually, here we all are, the vast majority of people trying to attain a weight loss goal and you would think because of that alone it would be full of negativity, but it's not, it is totally the opposite!
  • Sounds like your Mom has a serious case of 'sour grapes'!

Stick with it because you're doing really well. And you know deep down that those 10lb DO make a difference, and so will the next 10, and so on. Good luck and stick with this site for real support x
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    My ex never saw a difference when I lost 20lb! It's not necessarily her being cruel, she sees you every day, and the more overweight you are the more pounds it takes to see a difference.

Don't get me wrong, 10lb is a great achievement, but it took me a loss of 25 before there was a significant visual difference, and some people lose like 50lb before people start to notice.

It's not a reason to give up though, each pound is a step along the way, you'll notice differences in your clothes, moving about etc, and you're doing it for you anyway, not your mum
  • summer827
    summer827 Posts: 516 Member
    It could be her own jealousy being reflected back at you. Don't let it get you down...you look great and you'll keep looking better! Sometimes when a person is not satisfied with him or herself, that insatisfaction comes across as critism.

That's true! I also agree with the suggestion not to talk to her about weight loss. Just keep on, come here for support :flowerforyou: and stick to other topics with your mom! It's sad, but I can't talk about my efforts much with my best friend. She calls me "obsessed", which is not true.
  • I agree with previous posters, when you see someone all the time, change isn't as noticeable. On the up side (depending on how you look at it) she may not have noticed when you put on weight?! Don't forget, though, that you have the numbers to keep you motivated! Cold, hard facts!! Keep up the good work :)
  • twynzmom
    twynzmom Posts: 172
    keep doing what you're doing!
  • Caperfae
    Caperfae Posts: 433
    Also remember she sees you everyday, your gradual weight loss may not be so apparent to her. When you change just a little each day it's hard to notice. Your brain gets used to the tiny differences.

This is what I was going to say. The people who see you every day get used to you and don't notice the changes like someone who only sees you once in a while.
    Hang in there and keep up the great work!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member

Yep, this. I didn't notice any change in myself in the first 15 pounds, and sometimes still think I look the same.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Misery loves company.
  • zml_mom
    zml_mom Posts: 270 Member
    my mom did the same thing, when I gained over 100 lbs with my kids (ages 2 and 1) she told me there was no way I would ever loose the weight and refused to give me my old clothes back i let her borrow because she said I will never fit into them again.

WELL I AM PROUD TO SAY I LOST IT ALL WITHIN A YEAR AND THEN SOME :)
    now she is the one saying she knew I could do it all along and how proud she is which pisses me off so bad.

but hang in there and prove her wrong.

sorry she's like that-I know its hard but don't let someone else's attitude keep you from your goal
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    I have the same issue.
    You need to get real about the fact that your mother and probably your whole family will never be a support for you in any way.

Your mother is part of the problem - not the solution.

Just lose the weight, then torment her over it every chance you get.
    Instead of sitting around waiting for her to affirm your success [she won't], harp on Mom about how fat she is.
    Make her feel miserable like she did you

I believe in fighting fire with fire, and payback is wonderful. I LOVE getting even with people.
    Let their misery be our JOY!:laugh: :laugh:
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    My boyfriends mum is a bit like this. Always trying to put me down about the exercise I do and what I eat or if I decide to have a drink at the weekend. She herself is overweight and doesn't exercise/eat healthy so I just take it on the chin because I know it's just to make me feel guilty that I'm doing it and she can't/won't.

I would just ignore the negative comments and keep hold of the positive ones that you get from other people to keep you going. 10lbs is a good loss and if you can lose another 10 your mum will definately start seeing the difference! :) Good luck! :)
  • jill___
    jill___ Posts: 188 Member
    My mom does the same thing! I think it's out of jealousy. I've gone from a size 22 to a 12, and my mom regularly offers me her old size 16 jeans and says things like "They're stretchy, so even though they're a 16 I think you can squeeze yourself into them."

Over the holidays when my whole family was commenting on my weight loss, my mom told everyone I'm starving myself and she thinks I need help!! My brother set everyone straight by telling them he sees me work my butt off at the gym everyday!
  • I have the same problem with my mother. I agree while 10 lbs is an accomplishment, if you see her every day it'll be more difficult for her to notice unless you compare your 10 lbs lighter frame to a picture of you with the 10 lbs on. I've been at this since Halloween and my mother finally gave me her form of a compliment this weekend..."those pants look like **** on you." Don't be discouraged, be encouraged and motivated to lose more!