So what am I doing wrong?

Options

Replies

• Virginia90
    Virginia90 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I will change my diary to track sodium - I was astounded how much sodium was in soy sauce and instant mashed potatoes! I can't image how high my sodium intake was before I started to eat healthy!
  • Kelbel1234
    Kelbel1234 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I would try to eat more for breakfast and lunch, and less for dinner. And drink lots of water! Also, I've had good luck dropping pounds from switching from coffee to tea.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I will change my diary to track sodium - I was astounded how much sodium was in soy sauce and instant mashed potatoes! I can't image how high my sodium intake was before I started to eat healthy!
    It was a real eye opener to me as well (that's why I mentioned that). Now after watching it a lot more closely over the past 6 months or so, I'm astounded how much I notice it when I eat something that I used to love and wonder "was it really this salty before?"
  • Virginia90
    Options
    I'm hesitant to believe it's water retention, because from the 1st to the 2nd, I dropped 5lbs overnight and assumed that was my water weight (probably from eating less carbs - unintentionally) . Since then, nothing. :frown:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I would try to eat more for breakfast and lunch, and less for dinner. And drink lots of water! Also, I've had good luck dropping pounds from switching from coffee to tea.

timing of food intake is not very important. It is all about hitting your macros and calories for the day. If you eating schedule works for you now, don't bother changing it.
  • erickirb
    Options
    I'm hesitant to believe it's water retention, because from the 1st to the 2nd, I dropped 5lbs overnight and assumed that was my water weight (probably from eating less carbs - unintentionally) . Since then, nothing. :frown:

Yes but since 30DS has some weights your muscles will retain water, so you may have lost some initial water, but not all of it. When did you start the 30DS?
  • RenaPink11
    RenaPink11 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Watch your sodium intake.. your calories may be where they need to be, but if the sodium is high, it will make you retain water. Like Diet Soda's are zero calorie, but usually high in sodium. I had to cut mine out. Good Luck!
  • TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    If your diary is accurate, you are not eating enough. Calories are fuel and VERY necessary. Someone told me a long time ago that it takes 1 - 2 weeks to realize the benefit of working out and eating well. Stick to it... it's worth it!
  • Virginia90
    Options

Yes but since 30DS has some weights your muscles will retain water, so you may have lost some initial water, but not all of it. When did you start the 30DS?

I've been doing it since January 1st. That makes sense - I am learning more about my health and body than I ever did in health class in school. lol
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Also, are you eating back at least some of your exercise calories? If not, you should eat at least 50-75% of them or do yourself a favor and change your goal to 1 lb per week and don't worry about the exercise calories as much.

And FYI, you can't increase lean muscle mass on a caloric deficit, let alone a very large caloric deficit. Agreed on the water retention.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Oh and watch your protein intake, if you eat too much with out using it, it turns into fat.. Athletes who exersize a lot can eat a lot of protein and it gives them the energy they need to do so much physical activity, but these are people that put hours into physical activity which allows them to eat a lot of protien. I know you are doing 30 day shred and some other things but watch your protien intake because you might not be using it all. Drink lots of water and eat lots of veggies. The more water you drink the less water retension you will have.

Congrat, you just won the worst advice of the day award. I eat 120g of protein a day and losing body fat.
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I would say it is water retention - probably a combination of a new exercise program causing your muscles to hold on to water while repairing, eating too much sodium, and not enough water to flush it out. You are eating at a deficit (unless you are GROSSLY miscalculating your calories consumed or burned - do you measure and/or weigh your food? I know you are using a HRM so it isn't likely that), so most likely you have lost some fat this week (as evidenced by the inches lost), but it is being hidden by the water. If you stick to your calories and exercise, watch the sodium, and drink your water (half of your body weight in ounces), you will likely see a loss in the next week or two!

You canNOT build muscle while eating a calorie deficit, so you are not "turning fat into muscle" as one poster stated.

Eating extra protein is good.

I don't think exercising more than once per day is bad as long as you are listening to your body and not over-doing it, and as long as you take rest days and are alternating your exercises to allow your body to recover.
  • sayfay
    sayfay Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I haven't read past page one, so this may have already been answered. But, are you measuring your food? I started actually measuring and weighing what I eat and I have to say I was pretty surprised at what 1/2 cup of something actually looks like! I was way overestimating my portion sizes. Weighing/measuring my food helped a lot. good luck!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    To me the only thing you're doing wrong is setting your expectations too high. It's normal for your body to need time to adjust. You shouldn't expect to see great losses in one week, especially while starting an intense exercise program. Just slow down your brain and keep going. I gained 2 lbs in the first two weeks I was here and then I started losing consistently. Give it time.
  • Jconner30
    Jconner30 Posts: 311
    Options
    in 3 months it willl be a year for me running and exercising from couch potato. This is a LONG TERM LIFE CHANGING EVENT! Dont get stuck on the quick fixes - look at it LONG TERM - at first you wont lose - you may even GAIN but your clothes will fit better. Toss that scale away for about a month. I weigh myself less now and I feel freedom! It will come off if you stick to it.
  • nurseymama
    nurseymama Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I almost always have a lag in weight loss initially when I'm doing exercise like the 30DS... It's a great workout and you will see results but I just think you hold on to water initially. Be patient! I know it's so hard!
  • marndawg
    Options
    Nothing wrong with starting to get healthier.

Scale numbers are just one factor. When I get discourage. Actually zero weight lost over the last 4 weeks... I remember back when I couldn't walk up a flight of stairs without breaking a sweat or tie my shoes without getting lightheaded. The holidays were heavy with rich foods and a spotty work out schedule. Could be water weight or the building of muscle.

Just keep consistent. :) Good luck.
  • Virginia90
    Options
    I am eating most of my exercise calories back (and it's why I exercise a little extra sometimes, so I can eat a little more. LOL) I am measuring everything (it's annoying my husband. lol) and weighing things on my postal scale (until I get a kitchen scale) that need weighing. So I can't build muscle while eating less? Does that mean I won't get stronger, or am I misunderstanding? I thought I was building a little muscle because if I flex my arms I can actually SEE something underneath it all, but no?
  • erickirb
    Options
    I am eating most of my exercise calories back (and it's why I exercise a little extra sometimes, so I can eat a little more. LOL) I am measuring everything (it's annoying my husband. lol) and weighing things on my postal scale (until I get a kitchen scale) that need weighing. So I can't build muscle while eating less? Does that mean I won't get stronger, or am I misunderstanding? I thought I was building a little muscle because if I flex my arms I can actually SEE something underneath it all, but no?

You can get stronger without increasing muscle mass as you will be conditioning the muscle you do have. It is possible as someone new to exercise and with a fair bit of weight to lose, that you will gain some initial muscle, but while losing fat, the goal is to maintain as much of your existing lean muscle as possible (some loss will occur and the less you have to lose the higher % muscle loss is).

So you will get stronger even if you don't gain muscle.
  • pizzanomore
    pizzanomore Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i have a couple of suggestions for you! :)

* it's not just about the 1500 calories, but keeping your insulin levels in check. blood sugar should be in between 70-100 to burn stored fat . any higher, you'll be storing fat, and any lower your body will go into starvation mode.

*i see that you like grape fruit and oranges and bananas. the sugar in one ripe banana is equivalent to almost a CUP OF SUGAR!!! i would suggest trying a natural greek yogurt like chobani instead of the fruit. you have about the same amount of carbs, but waaay more protein. the pineapple ones are the bomb!!!

* ditch the fruit bars, granola bars, honey, and sugar. they are so good but they are empty carbs! they will spike your insulin, and keep you from burning fat, with little to no protein in these snacks, your blood sugar will spike, then crash, then leave you hungry and not burning fat :(

*hard natural cheese are fine. stay away from processed sliced cheese. they contain chemicals and preservatives that over work your liver. the liver cannot process stored fat when it is busy trying to process chemicals. (this includes artificial sweeteners!)

*wheat products like breads and pastas (even if they are whole wheat,) will spike your blood sugar. if you have to have a wheat fix, try a whole wheat high fiber low carb wheat wrap. (net carbs per wrap should be 5 grams or less.) and try to eat them in the first meal of the day, NOT THE LAST!

* i have been reading and trying to adhere to the "eat stop eat" method, i swear it works. tomorrow, do not eat until after 12 pm. make sure you do your exercise BEFORE you eat your first meal. this ensures that your body is burning stored fat, not a bunch of calories you just ate. your biggest meal of the day should be the meal you eat after you exercise.

i am 5'6" and weigh around 250 pounds. i have tried so many diets, most of time i would be lucky to lose a pound a week, if that. i would get discouraged and quit. this time around, i have been doing the eat stop eat method, i have quit eating any sugar, (other than the chobani.) today is a week i have been on my life style change, and i have lost 7 pounds. i have never lost that much in a week.

good luck to you! i know it is hard when you have a little one! we can do this!!! :)