Options

Replies

• AreneeG31
    AreneeG31 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    my fav additive is peanut butter!
  • alyssaguirguis
    Options
    Just a little spice, either cinnamon or cardamom is my fave. I ake with half milk half water, and pinch f salt.
    Sometimes I add a few tablespoons of natural no sugar added applesauce.

I've been considering savory oatmeal too, as a side with dinner (like instead of rice, etc).
  • JudyL5305
    JudyL5305 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I eat steel cut oats in the winter time almost everyday. I make it with skim milk instead of water and I will add any of these items: peanut butter, a little brown sugar, cinnamon, dried berries, or almonds.
  • FunkBunny
    FunkBunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I put in whole raw almonds, dried cranberries and ground cinnamon.

OR

almonds, banana slices

OR

almonds and slivered apples.

I like almonds. :love:
  • Wandami
    Wandami Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Salt pepper & Parmesan cheese. Yummy!
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I get the bulk oats at Sprouts(NOT the instant ones). I use 1/2 cup of those, 1 cup vanilla So Delicious Coconut milk, 1 tablespoon chia seeds and 1/2 a banana. Put it all in a bowl, smash up the banana and put it in the fridge overnight. It is SO tasty and a COLD oatmeal, so will be great for summer as well. I adapted it from this recipe: http://ohsheglows.com/2011/02/01/carob-banana-chia-vegan-overnight-oats/
  • amandahills1
    amandahills1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I want to know too - I need to stop eating the true delights blueberry muffin oatmeal bc it is way too high in fat. I guess fruit is a good start. I will try this recipe first...
    1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
    1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
    2/3 cup 1% low-fat milk
    1/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
    2 tablespoons chopped pecans or walnuts, optional
    1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
    Directions
    Place the oats, ground flaxseed, and milk in a large microwave-safe cereal bowl and stir to combine. If you use a small bowl, the contents may overflow when heated.
    Place in the microwave, uncovered, and heat on high for 90 seconds (if you like your oatmeal thick, check after 90 seconds and then cook an additional 20 to 30 seconds). Remove very carefully and stir in the blueberries, nuts as desired, and top with the maple syrup.
  • amandahills1
    amandahills1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy!
  • Mcsongbird
    Mcsongbird Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal. Just a half of a cup of dry oatmeal is one serving, and that makes a cup or more. I put all kinds of stuff in there, today I added about a 1/4 of trail mix (dried bananas and mangos, coconut flakes, nuts) and fresh blueberries, and a sprinkle of cinnamon and a couple of splashes of vanilla soy milk. My favorite though, is S'MORES OATMEAL, just add a tablespoon of choc chips and a handful of marshmallows, and some vanilla soymilk. I'm a sugarholic, so I will eat this for breakfast or for dessert, it's that good!
  • vespaberrie
    vespaberrie Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    For some reason I only eat Oatmeal in the winter. I keep a box of instant at work Quakers weight control, or High fiber. or The Natures Path organics. Yum!

When I cook it at home I always add vanilla, cinammon, and nutmeg.
    Other mix-ins:
    Dried Cherries
    Dried Cranberries
    Almonds
    Pecans
    Agave Nectar
    Sugar free perserves

PB sounds yummy, I'm going to have to try that.
  • MrsBACH1986
    Options
    Me! I do "overnight oats" - 1/2 cup of dry oats and 1/2 cup of almond milk, 1/2 a banana and chia seeds in a small tupperware container, mix it up and leave it in the fridge. In the morning, I just throw it in my bag and eat it at my desk at work. For variety, sometimes I'll add a teaspoon or so of chopped nuts/honey/unsweetened coconut/dried fruit, etc.
  • Taith
    Taith Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Shop Rite - Organic Instant Oatmeal Original, 1 Packet
    Bob's Red Mill - Natural Raw Whole Golden Flaxseed, 2 Tablespoons
    Dole - Frozen Cranberries, 0.5 cup (only 25 calories)
    Friendship - All Natural Low Fat Cottage Cheese 1% Milkfat No Salt Added, 1 cup
    Spices - Cinnamon, ground, 2 g

Total Calories: 410
    Total Carbs: 43
    Total Fat: 12
    Total Protein: 40

Using the frozen cranberries avoids the added sugar you find in dried fruits.
  • aramina1
    aramina1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal nearly every day. I make steel cut overnight oats and add in chia, ground flaxseed with blueberries, and PB2. I will add a little skim milk and stevia if I need some extra sweet. It's yummy and sooooo filling.
  • torie079
    torie079 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    MOI! I put a tiny bit of butter and brown sugar.. I get the raisin and spice oatmeal from quakers... its heavenly
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Every day. Don't put anything in it (though I suppose some fresh fruit could be good). I just use those little sachets of Quaker low sugar maple syrup variety. Nom noms.
  • Mokelke
    Options
    Yumm! I always put in cinnamon, I've read it boosts metabolism, and some kind of fruit. Either raisins, dried cranberries, blueberries (frozen or fresh), etc. The frozen blueberries are great to have around because it takes forever for them to go bad and you can add it to lots of things, cereal etc. Best Wishes!!
  • jswartz2
    jswartz2 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I eat it a lot.
    I usually put in fruit and cinnamon but today I put in a little dark chocolate it was delicious and got rid of my craving for chocolate!
  • ChristiRShort
    ChristiRShort Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal for breakfast or snack to stay full.
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I eat it almost every morning. I make mine with almond milk and add it one of the following combos:

1/3 cup pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice
    frozen berries (a rasp/black/blueberry blend is my fav)
    an apple and some cinnamon
    fresh peach
    chopped walnuts and a tsp of maple syrup
    fresh pear
    1/2 of a mashed banana

Just finished eating pumpkin oatmeal before I saw this question! :^)
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    steel cut oats. usually just plain.

if I add anything its: cinnamon and/or slight drizzle of agave syrup