Will too much protein make me gain weight?

Options

Replies

• Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    If I may get all mother-hennish here..
    At 17, with a new child, please go ahead and eat your calories. A little overage in the protein department isn't going to hurt you, but you do need to replenish the vitamins and the minerals your term of pregnancy has taken.
    Please be careful. And, though I seldom say this, you should maybe take a good multivitamin for a while, like a maternity vitamin.
    Good luck to you and your new baby. It's an awfully exciting time!

Please read the original post gain my friend. :ohwell: The OP is not pregnant, she is 18 asking for a question about protein and eating too little of everything.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    It's all about the calories :)

Protein can make you constipated if you don't get enough fibre. Well I've noticed that anyway.

If you exercise a lot then you should be upping your protein intake. The body needs it to repair itself.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    If I may get all mother-hennish here..
    At 17, with a new child, please go ahead and eat your calories. A little overage in the protein department isn't going to hurt you, but you do need to replenish the vitamins and the minerals your term of pregnancy has taken.
    Please be careful. And, though I seldom say this, you should maybe take a good multivitamin for a while, like a maternity vitamin.
    Good luck to you and your new baby. It's an awfully exciting time!

Please read the original post gain my friend. :ohwell: The OP is not pregnant, she is 18 asking for a question about protein and eating too little of everything.

Please read her profile, my friend. :ohwell:
  • Jorra
    Options
    I feel like if I eat more calories I will gain more weight! I always feel sooo bad about myself if I eat a lot, even if it's healthy food!

That sound like a disordered relationship with food brewing. I suggest you seek some professional help for this. If you are breastfeeding your 2 month old baby, you need to feed yourself to feed that baby! You are not only depriving yourself of adequate nutrition, but you are depriving that baby as well.

Please, please get help from a doctor or other medical professional.
  • furbs905
    furbs905 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I shoud add too, since you have a new little one. Just in case you are breastfeeding, you need an extra 500 calories a day for that. But I agree you need at least 1200 calories a day. You are not eating enough.
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I have to mention...eating well below your recommended daily calories on a regular basis will cause your metabolism to shut down, and you will NOT lose weight. Eating too little can do serious and permanent damage to your body. Please take care of yourself. :flowerforyou:
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Good lord girl, you better not be breastfeeding if that's all you're eating because your darling baby will be malnourished. And as someone else mentioned, you need proper nutrition because you're still growing. I realize you're trying to get rid of pregnancy weight, but by eating so little you could be hurting your chances of conceiving & having another healthy pregnancy in the future. Please listen to what everyone here is telling you & eat more. Losing weight in a healthy way is the best thing you can do for your baby.
  • doctor_mike
    Options
    Additionally to what most others have said, it is good that you are exceeding your protein target on a calorie restricted diet, as protein can help you maintain muscle mass over the long haul.
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    As others have said, eat some more! Also if you are breastfeeding it'll help you lose your pregnancy weight so start adding some calories :)
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    About two years ago I was eating my full recommended calorie intake as suggested by MFP and working out about an hour a day.. I lost 45lbs in about 3 months. It works, you just have to be patient. Just eat the right foods and you'll be fine.
  • samilynn005
    samilynn005 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your opinions, I'm not offended at all! I do have a new baby but I'm not longer breast feeding. I will talk to my personal trainer tomorrow about a meal plan. Maybe start taking some protein shakes because I do workout for an hour and a half to two hours everyday! Thanks again, I'll take the advice :)
  • murtsgirl
    Options
    oooh me too!!! I feel bloated and super full!!! building muscle is so difficult for me...my trainer and husband say eat more calories but why god!! why!!? lol
  • crewsicka
    crewsicka Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Too much protein makes me fart.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, as long as you're under your calorie requirements for the day, it won't make you gain weight. However, an imbalance of nutrients (by too much) can be bad for certain organs (with protein a main concern is kidneys and liver). Everything in moderation. Balance is key.

This!
  • samilynn005
    Options
    oooh me too!!! I feel bloated and super full!!! building muscle is so difficult for me...my trainer and husband say eat more calories but why god!! why!!? lol

I know! I eat when I'm hungry and get myself about 80% full, I don't like being so full that I feel like I'm gonna pop! I was pregnant for nine months and I don't miss the feeling of a huge round belly! haha
  • eddyca
    eddyca Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    No way! If anything it will help your weight loss as long as you eat a lot of low fat protein like protein shakes or non fat dairy. Or even protein with "good fats" like peanut butter. I've been able to lose weight by eat 100g of protein a day or more!
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Good lord girl, you better not be breastfeeding if that's all you're eating because your darling baby will be malnourished.

This is not true. Her body will leach the necessary nutrients from her body and give it to the baby. Her health would (if she were breastfeeding, but has since stated she is not) be affected, but not the quality of the milk. The quantity of the milk could be affected though if severely malnourished.

http://www.llli.org/nb/nbmarapr04p44.html
    In recent years, research has confirmed that even if some nutrients are missing in a woman’s daily diet, she will still produce milk that will help her child grow. There is very little difference in the milk of healthy mothers and mothers who are severely malnourished. For example, if a mother’s diet is lacking in calories, her body makes up the deficit, drawing on the reserves laid down during pregnancy or before. Unless there is a physical reason for low milk production, a woman who breastfeeds on cue will be able to produce enough milk for her baby, regardless of what she eats.
  • Jorra
    Options
    Good lord girl, you better not be breastfeeding if that's all you're eating because your darling baby will be malnourished.

This is not true. Her body will leach the necessary nutrients from her body and give it to the baby. Her health would (if she were breastfeeding, but has since stated she is not) be affected, but not the quality of the milk. The quantity of the milk could be affected though if severely malnourished.

http://www.llli.org/nb/nbmarapr04p44.html
    In recent years, research has confirmed that even if some nutrients are missing in a woman’s daily diet, she will still produce milk that will help her child grow. There is very little difference in the milk of healthy mothers and mothers who are severely malnourished. For example, if a mother’s diet is lacking in calories, her body makes up the deficit, drawing on the reserves laid down during pregnancy or before. Unless there is a physical reason for low milk production, a woman who breastfeeds on cue will be able to produce enough milk for her baby, regardless of what she eats.

Thanks for finding that, I didn't know.

Although, I think we can all agree here that the mother should not be malnourished for her own sake. :flowerforyou:
  • samilynn005
    Options
    I wish I could have continued to breast feed, I know it's soooo much better for the baby but I completely dried up for some reason. I had such a hard time starting her on formula, it broke my heart :(
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options

It's near impossible to gain muscle in a deficit, so if you want muscles you must eat more =].

OP, more protein is good and I'm sure you got it by now (lol) but you need to eat more.