SQUATS: Why you need them and how to them right.

Options
2»

Replies

• snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    The guy in the video in the link isn't actually getting enough depth it looks like.

Yep, he definitely isn't parallel. :/
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Good information to pass along! My last attempt at vigorous exercise (boxercise,) a few years ago, ended with painfully swollen knees. We did a lot of squats, but weren't taught to do them correctly. My Chalean Extreme DVDs explained how they're done to protect knees, and it's worked! While I still have some swelling from a knee injury incurred a few months ago, I've found the squats and lunges aren't damaging when done correctly. Hooray!

I think the second video on the website is particularly helpful.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
  • SugarNtheRaw
    SugarNtheRaw Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!
  • MiekeJ
    MiekeJ Posts: 139
    Options
    Shots make the world a better place!

Haha! Love it :-)
  • MiekeJ
    MiekeJ Posts: 139
    Options
    Because of squats, as soon as my waist was small enough for my goal wait dress I couldn't get it to cover my bubble butt :P

There is NOTHING wrong with a bubble butt! ;)
  • rdzilla
    rdzilla Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I would have to disagree, respectively, with Mr. Rippetoe. The power clean, the clean and jerk and the snatch exercises put a greater amount of stress on the human body in every way. Squats are definitely right up there though, and you have to respect the squat exercise because a lot of people get hurt doing squats incorrectly.

I would have to respectively agree with you. If people would only give any clean exercise a chance I think they would end up surprising themselves with how much weight they can move and how it really changes your body composition from beach muscles (shoulders / biceps) to functional strength (bum, hips, core) to mental strength.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Is it weird that squats turn me on? lol :love:
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    oops double post
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Pfff... rookies! Only 7 Krispy Kremes?
  • hsmithway
    hsmithway Posts: 191
    Options
    Good information to pass along! My last attempt at vigorous exercise (boxercise,) a few years ago, ended with painfully swollen knees. We did a lot of squats, but weren't taught to do them correctly. My Chalean Extreme DVDs explained how they're done to protect knees, and it's worked! While I still have some swelling from a knee injury incurred a few months ago, I've found the squats and lunges aren't damaging when done correctly. Hooray!

This is so true. My second knee surgery was the result of a terrible PT who insisted my knee pain would get better if I did loads of squats, but never bothered to show me the right way to do them. Just shouted "More!" and "Lower!" a lot.

Current PT is much better, and really helps me with proper form, but I have to admit that squats still make me really nervous.
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Squats are awesome. I'm working on increasing my squat weight. I have a bum knee that I k ow how to manage now but dot want to over do it. It changed my flat butt which I thought I would always have.

Cleans are probably one of my favorites too!

Lunges o. The otherhand i have a love/hate relationship with.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Shots make the world a better place!
    Squats!! Squats, Not shots! Although shots do too :P
    Watching Jersey Shore and posting is dangerous for your health!

Don't apologize for that one, lol. Shots make the world a better place, too, until you've had too many!:drinker: :drinker:
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options

This is so true. My second knee surgery was the result of a terrible PT who insisted my knee pain would get better if I did loads of squats, but never bothered to show me the right way to do them. Just shouted "More!" and "Lower!" a lot.

Current PT is much better, and really helps me with proper form, but I have to admit that squats still make me really nervous.

Well he was right with one thing; low, full squats don't stress the knees like the quarter squats most people do.
  • Tani316
    Tani316 Posts: 28
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Thanks for posting this!

I did like 7 squats while the guy was demonstrating to try and get a feel for proper squat movement. Wow, I felt that in so many places. Now I know I have never done a proper squat before. Definitely gonna add them in! :flowerforyou:
  • hsmithway
    hsmithway Posts: 191
    Options
    Well he was right with one thing; low, full squats don't stress the knees like the quarter squats most people do.

Maybe so, but if your form is complete crap, going lower in the absence of any other guidance is not very helpful.
  • Training2Tri
    Training2Tri Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Great link - thanks for posting.
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Bump for later as I can't view the video at work!