What are you losing weight for?

Options

Replies

• ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    I have lots of reasons to motivate me..... Here is a few....

-Cancun vacation in June
    -Wear 32 waist pants comfortably (currently 34-36)
    -Improve race times in 5k, 10k, and compete in a half marathon (my first)
    -Best shape of my life - beach body
    -Better health and qualify for super preferred life insurance premium rate (save me some $$$$)

I think its important to find lots of motivating reasons to improve upon yourself. If ya just have one motivating goal sometimes its easy to excuse it away. Like if I was only focused on the upcoming vacation but my progress was slow I might be susceptible to give in and give up or be lazy about it at times. Like oh its 6 months away, you have time, etc. But when I have multiple goals I can measure progress with various benchmarks besides the scale. Like improving my running time, dropping a pant size, lifting heavier, etc.
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Going to Thailand in February, so I want to be physically fit for backpacking.
    I play Roller Derby, being more fit and healthy will help me be a better player.
    Generally, to get myself back. I miss being me, not having to hide behind baggy clothes.
  • RosieStringer9
    RosieStringer9 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Health! Trying to boost my immune system and get back in shape. My weight is very close to my goal, but I have no strength, stamina, or tone so working out is actually what I need to do most.
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    - I've never been healthy-thin (thin only once as an adult and it was because of a medical problem) and I want to see what that feels like. ...I have been fitter, though, and I remember how awesome it was to not be out of breath as much!
    - I want to be able to shop for clothes anywhere without stress, and not just settle because something fits me
    - Losing weight will help my knee pain (I'm seeing benefits with this already! Strength training is super helpful)
    - I have a couple health issues, e.g. PCOS, that will be much better managed if I lose weight
    - I've gotten the idea in my head that I want to jog a marathon, and I need to train now if that's ever going to happen :) (PS: I signed up for one in October - eek!)
    - I want to be fit before starting a family, which is something we've just started thinking about
    - To live according to my own purported principles--consuming less, eating real (preferably local, sustainable) food, living generally in moderation, leading by example, etc.

Great thread to remind us all why we're here - something I need from time to time for sure! :)
  • lyddsmom
    Options
    I don't necessarily want to lose anymore weight (I've lost 13lb.). Originally I wanted to lose a total of 20 lbs. but since I've hit a plateau, I have been using measurements instead of weight to see my progress. Although I have not lost anymore weight, I am measuring smaller. That is more important to me than what I weigh. I have one more inch to lose to be back where I was before I had my kids. So instead of losing weight, I want to lose at least one more inch and get toned and just feel energetic and healthy.

Also, I have a family history of heart disease. So I want to maintain a healthy lifestyle to prevent the disease from affecting me personally. I know I need to start this early before I see or feel symptoms. I have been exercising regularly and eating whole grain, lean meat, and lots of fruits and vegetables. I have just started to be more diligent about seriously reducing sugar intake. Trying to eat only natural--not processed foods has helped with this.

Good luck everyone on your goals!
  • shlobiwan
    shlobiwan Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    For life - I want to smile at my whole self in the mirror, not just at parts of myself.
    For life - I want to put less pressure on my joints as I get older, and lessen the chances of dislocating my kneecap again.
    For life - I want to keep up with my very active partner.
    For life - When I open a karate dojo with said partner, I want people to come in and see the projection of a healthy lifestyle.

For the short term - I want all my friends' jaws to drop when I rock whatever the hell I happen to wear at my wedding in 6 months.
  • sarahstoltman
    Options
    To be healthy and to run the Warrior Dash 5k in May :)
  • JeanniebeanL79
    JeanniebeanL79 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I am losing weight for several reasons:
    -I found out I am borderline diabetic and I need to exercise and lose weight or I will eventually have it one day.
    -I am not happy with my own body
    -I want to feel better and healthier
    -My sister is getting married sept. 2013 and I don't want to be the fat girl in the pictures
  • lovemydrmartens
    lovemydrmartens Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Need to stay slim to prevent dodgy knees becoming hopeless knees!

to get back into the totally lovely shocking pink camos I bought and wore at a festival two years ago and haven't been able to wear since...

to eat and drink healthily now instead of putting it off until tomorrow... before there is no tomorrow!
  • NBabi91
    NBabi91 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I am losing weight for a lot of reasons:
    1. Look hot in my formal dress in spring
    2. Be able to be as active as my boyfriend
    3. Feel better around my friends
    4. To get back my self confidence
    5. Know my weight will not effect me getting my dream job
    6. Be able to do cycling races with my family
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    the beach and the bedroom =)
  • Butterfly3730
    Options
    It's like my retirement plan for old age.

Really. My mom is a very spry 82, her sister an active independent 93, and their cousin is still going at 104. That means my body most likely is going to need to keep going for another 40 years or more. I want to tell my body where I want it to go, not go where my body or a wheelchair lets me. I plan on being one of those funny, amazing, traveling old ladies some day. So I need to beat my body under submission now to make that happen. If not now, when?

LOL - I love this!
  • SkinnyGirlFatBody
    SkinnyGirlFatBody Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    It will be my 20th Birthday in the summer and I am determined to be fit and healhty. The last decade of my life may have been full of jigglyness, baggy clothes and fatness but the next will be so much better!
  • Mrsairforce
    Options
    For myself first and foremost, I want to feel sexy and confident and walk into a store, find something I love and be able to fit into it. I also want to be able to have children some day. But I also never got a real wedding and I am hoping that once I hit my goal weight, my husband and I can have our "wedding" in the church with the beautiful dress and everything :)
  • countingitall
    countingitall Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    honsetly. I don't know.
    I am supose to....that is what everone says.
    It also would help mu joints. I have server feet problems
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    Clothes!

I love vintage, 1950s clothes and 90% of what you find in good, wearable condition is itty bitty.

I also live by the ocean and with two little boys, going to the beach is free entertainment all spring/summer/fall. Nothing is worse than not enjoying yourself because you're too busy being self conscious. Blah.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I'm just not happy with the way I look in the mirror.

This! And I want to have fun shopping again.
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I want to look at myself in the mirror with pride and self-respect.
    I want to feel sexy again
    I want more energy
    I want to live my life in a healthy way
    I want to be healthy enough to have a healthy pregnancy.
  • Silverstar46
    Silverstar46 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I've never been skinny. Even as a child I was the chubby one.

As a toddler it's cute. But as a kid my family used to do this thing to me: they'd grab my face and make it pucker and have me say "I'm a chubby baby from the baby chubby club" and then you're supposed to smile.

When I was really little I thought it was fun/funny. By 5 years old I can remember looking down at my stomach (which had BABY fat that would have been easily gone if I was taught portion control and excercise as a kid) and feeling sad that it wasn't flat. I was FIVE for God's sake. But it has been that way my whole life.

Now I'm so fat that my BMI says morbidly obese. I'm tired of being the chubby baby. I'm tired of being the chubby teenager and the fat sister. My younger sisters are teeny tiny and always have been. For once, I want to walk into a room and have eyes go to me not because I'm the biggest person they've ever seen, but because I look pretty damn good!

I also want to be healthy! I want to be able to go jogging or climb a mountain or fit into an airplane seat without an extender.

And one day, I will!
  • kimberly702
    kimberly702 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    My kids are growing up, starting school and I don't want them to be embarrased because their mom is fat... I don't wanna be embarrased because I'm fat no MORE!