"Good" Carbs

Options
13»

Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating potatoes, and replaced them with kumara (sweet potato). They have a much lower GI, and have more fibre than potatoes. They taste good too :smile:

ummm did you miss this?

http://www.alanaragon.com/elements-challenging-the-validity-of-the-glycemic-index.html
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating potatoes, and replaced them with kumara (sweet potato). They have a much lower GI, and have more fibre than potatoes. They taste good too :smile:

ummm did you miss this?

http://www.alanaragon.com/elements-challenging-the-validity-of-the-glycemic-index.html

Ack! but think of the insulin man, insulin is evil, right?

Not srs...

Look at table 4 and pay attention to the protein rich foods and their insulin AUC. Compare beef and fish to lets say pasta

An insulin index of foods: the insulin demand generated by 1000-kJ portions of common foods

American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol 66, 1264-1276

http://www.ajcn.org/content/66/5/1264.full.pdf
  • aash28
    aash28 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I've heard from a lot of people that they felt much better health- and energy-wise after they reduced their daily intake of grain-based carbs. I know the plural of anecdote isn't data, but personally I wouldn't really worry about not being able to hit my target for carbs... I'm very happy on days when I manage to stay well below the figure that MFP gives me.

"I know the plural of anecdote isn't data. . . ."
    I love that! : )

P.S. I'd listen the most to those guys on here with the crazy abs. Judging by appearance, they seem to know what they're doing & how to apply it!
  • chrissyKar
    chrissyKar Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    sweet potatoes is good instead of potato for those who are pre- diabetic like me. Its so full of fibre and its taste is a bit sweet but really its not so it tricks my taste buds :D I am liking it lots more now. Complex carbs are good for you, its just the quantities you have, and if you are diabetic or pre-diabetic have to be stricter on it. Also some people are allergic to particular foods and would have to be careful too like wheat intolerances/ allergies. I am not an expert just repeating what I have heard from others :) a friend who is a nutritionist got me into the sweet potatoes:D
  • chrissyKar
    chrissyKar Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    wow cauliflour rice ! i so have to try this ! where do you get it from? health food stores? I have not seen it
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Stay away from potatoes, they're high on the glycemic index and will actually cause weight gain. Try whole wheat bread, kamut, or sprouted grain breads.

Food high on GI index does not mean you will gain weight. You will only gain weight if you take in more calories than you consume. high GI foods are only bad from those with or prone to diabetes.

^^
  • Redapplecandie
    Redapplecandie Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    wow cauliflour rice ! i so have to try this ! where do you get it from? health food stores? I have not seen it

You make it yourself out of cauliflower.... Google it, its easy and delish. Can make mashed "potatoes" out of it too