What do you think about when you are running?

Options

Replies

• shavonne
    shavonne Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Music pushes me but usually I'm praying to get through the last mile for it to be over and done with.
  • theoneandonlybrookie
    Options
    I love running, and sometimes use that time to think serious thoughts about serious things.

More often than not, though, I fantasize about being awesome in various ways. I always listen to music, so frequently it's me up on stage belting it out and being adored by my fans!

Yes, really.

I also listen to podcasts: This American Life, Planet Money, Savage Love and Freakanomics are my favorites.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    How much i hate running.

I try and listen to music and just zone out/think about upcoming events... but somehow the thought of "dear god this is pure hell" keeps running through my mind.

Edit: Also, this may sound CRAZY.. but... sometimes i think about the Zombie Apocolypse and i'm being chased... and if i fall down i'll be eaten... scary thoughts like that sure get my heart pumpin- which is always great for a cardio workout. :P
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Somehow running is more tedious than walking. I don't know how but it is. When I run, I usually do it on my lunch break at work and wish I had my bike with me the whole time.

I actually enjoy shadow boxing while running, since it requires a lot of coordination - but I think it makes me look like a total tool =)
  • colehook
    Options
    Mentally race other people on the treadmills. I'll pick someone out and tell myself I can't stop running until they stop running, or I'll try to run faster than someone or keep the same pace as someone else. It brings out my competitve spirit and keeps the boredom at bay!

I agree...the person next to you can be a great motivator. And they don't even know it! :happy:
  • falsecho
    falsecho Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I calm my mind and let it wander. Basically, meditation while I am moving
  • dbsav
    dbsav Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I generally listen to music on my iPod but I also find running to be a great time to think about and resolve my problems (as opposed to laying awake in bed at night). :) ~Dave
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Well since this was my first day to try and run since college, I didn't think about much. I mostly prayed please don't let me die, please don't let me die :-)

Yes! LOL.

In between prayers I do the interval thing talked about above. I spend a lot of time going "Ok, so I've done my warm-up, should I do two minutes at 5mph or one at 7mph? I'm 0.2 miles in already, so, well, I'd like to get this over with faster, but will I burn out? Eh, I should probably push myself, I'll do the 7mph." Que the "Please don't let me die" part. Then "Ok, didn't die, two minutes of break. What should I do next? Incline at 4mph or 5mph?" etcetera etcetera etcetera.

At that point, if I start thinking about something else, it'll just come to me and I'll start thinking about it, but if I actually try to think of something while I'm running, I start to die.
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Well since this was my first day to try and run since college, I didn't think about much. I mostly prayed please don't let me die, please don't let me die :-)

LOL....THIS is what I think.
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options

LOL - This!!
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    When I run outside, I think about my to-do list, when I'll need new shoes, listen to the actual lyrics of the songs and try to memorize them.
    Treadmills bore me as well, but I've found I won't take the time out of my life if I don't go to the gym, so I've begun on the treadmill. I HAVE TO have really great, FUN music and I just focus on it and lip sync all the lyrics. SOmetimes I make a fool out of myself and do little arm motion dances(Let's face it, who can listen to Beyonce's put a ring on it and NOT want to do the hand thing during the "oh oh oh" part??" Makes it WAY more fun and manageable. And I get a treadmill that looks out over the parking lot, so I people watch and make stories up in my head about where people are going, what they will buy at the store, where they are going after the store, etc. I'm a dork.
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Elle_Jamaicangirl81 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    i try to set goals... like to run X amount of minutes straight, or to get to a mile under a certain time.

When i do that.. i'm focusing on the run, how i feel.. if i'm hitting the floor too hard, or if i'm too tense and how i'm Breathing to beter pace myself to get to the goal.
  • Natural
    Natural Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    i write when i run. in my head of course.
  • FutureMrsAustin
    Options
    ROTFL! yall have me crackin up with some of your ideas. :laugh: They are all really great tips. im going to keep coming back to this post so everyday i can try a new stratagy. That should keep me entertained for at least another month. def gonna have try "being chased by a zombie apocalypse" first!! soo funny. then maybe "visualize myself being awesome in various ways". (Still laughing) :laugh: Thanks yall!
  • KaiteeKarrot
    Options
    Similar to what TSEEKA said. Please don't judge! I've never tell people this, to save myself embarrasment.. BUT.. this is what I do... I listen to really fast paced music (often club music/some indie/a lot of electro or drum n Bass) and I set up a sort of music video in my head to go along with the music. However that isn't the main motivator. As I'm constructing the video I'm also constructing what I will look like at my "goal weight", alongside what outfit I'm wearing. And, I always run into an exboyfriend, a nemesis, that negative influence that a lot of us have in our lives, (that girl that flirts with your boyfriend, a coworker, etc.) and feel very smug about seeing them when my body could rival Beyonce, or Shakira (in my head!!). It's kind of shallow, but unfortunately I've found that shallow is what works for me in that instance. Looking hot and showing off... in my head.
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    This wont be motivational, but I think about how much I hate running. I take my music, it helps, and when I go with a girlfriend, we chat between breaths.
  • SolidGoaled
    SolidGoaled Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Looking hot and showing off... in my head.

This is also motivation for me and I love to fantasize about it for hours... I am an old married chick with kids, too!
  • sarahp86
    sarahp86 Posts: 692 Member
    Options

^^ my first week. Also hoping my wobbly bits aren't over wobbly and I also try and imagine how it feels to be actually fit.

I'm running with a friend at the moment, doing C25K but if I'm on my own I normally listen to my iPod
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    pmsl

I have been running for a few years now and I STILL say stuff like that in my head.... :laugh:
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    I enjoy running. its my time to de-stress from the work day and contemplate a lot of things. I listen to music and just unwind as I run. I think about my schedule, my family, responsibilities, hobbies, interests, everything. I ofcourse also think about my breathing, my pace, distance, etc a lot! haha

Treadmill running definitely is more boring and not as enjoyable. On the treadmill I try to watch television and listen to music to pass the time. Outdoor running is definitely my joy, not treadmilling.