Too many mushrooms? (LADIES ONLY!)

Options
Ali_TSO
Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
I was just told that eating too many mushrooms can give you a yeast infection? :ohwell:

I blew it off, but then I thought about it, and........I guess they ARE a fungus... and it seems I DO have that prob sometimes... and I DO eat mushrooms like they're going out of style. :laugh:

I swear I'm not stupid, I just don't know much about that stuff. :frown:

Is this possible?... :noway:

Replies

• christiw116
    Options
    That is absolutely not true. Yeast infections are caused from a specific strain and mushrooms are not of the same strain of fungus. Antibiotics, alcohol and sugar can increase the odds of you getting one, but not mushrooms :)
  • Nos150
    Nos150 Posts: 150
    Options
    sorry this has a bit of back ground for me so i find it very funny.

no you can not get a yeast infection from eating to many mushrooms. (or bread)

the reason that you can get a yeast from anything orally digested is because they change the Ph balance of your body. (birth control and other medications)
  • dirtbikegirl5
    dirtbikegirl5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I eat mushrooms every day in my salad and I can promise you I haven't gotten a yeast infection.
  • Ali_TSO
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. Christi, I didn't know that about sugar.

So on the flip side, what are some other foods that contain probiotics? (other than yogurt)
  • LethaSue
    LethaSue Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I have heard the same thing about eatting blue cheese.
  • crimson_seven
    Options
    I have had a problem with UTI's and yeast infections due to sexual activity and a natural susceptibility to e coli (which causes a large number of UTI's apparently!), but I haven't had a problem since I starting drinking a bit of plain unsweetened kefir every day.
  • Gosser
    Gosser Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    A glass of cranberry juice a day can reduce the chances of yeast infections
  • Ali_TSO
    Options
    Just googled probiotic foods:

tempeh (soybean product) - There's a local pub here that carries an awesome tempeh burger :)
    miso
    sauerkraut
    dark chocolate
    pickles
    kimchi
    buttermilk
    some soy milks (they'll say "live and active cultures" on the carton)
    olives

Interesting...
  • crimson_seven
    Options
    Cranberry juice is good for UTIs, not yeast infections. Be careful when buying cranberry juice though (and don't bother with cranberry pills, they are made with just the skins and doctors are not sure yet if the effectiveness at preventing [it does not cure it though!] UTIs is through the pulp or skin), because most cranberry juice is either synthetically flavored apple juice or contains very little cranberry. I like RW Knudsen brand Organic Just Cranberry. It is expensive, but you will probably want to water it down to 1 part cranberry and 3 parts water anyways since it is so strong tasting!
  • yoshi91610
    yoshi91610 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    A glass of cranberry juice a day can reduce the chances of yeast infections

I thought it was just UTI's that cranberry juice protected against? Either way I love cranberry juice and would totally drink more of it if I could (diabetic so juices don't sit too well with me)

Also the only thing I know for sure causes yeast infections are pH imbalances, which can be caused from different things, I get them if my blood sugar is consistently high (although I haven't had one in months because I have gotten it under control)
  • LelliAmi
    LelliAmi Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    No...what you eat doesn't give you yeast infections. If you're prone to them, it's a good idea to take an immunity booster, like ModuCare, to make yourself less susceptible to infections in general. (Btw, yeast loves warm and sweaty conditions so another thing that could help is changing/ showering right after a workout) Hope this helps!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I just heard about how saurkraut has more probiotics than yogurt. You have to check the yogurt too, a lot of the pasturization kills it, then they add some back but it might not be as much. I drink Kefir, it's supposed to have a lot.
    Also, someone said cranberry juice, I heard that is for bladder infections. It actually makes the walls of the bladder more slippery so bacteria doesn't get a strong hold and proliferate enough to cause the infection.
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I would hope not, I eat them a LOT! :)
  • Ali_TSO
    Options
    I drink Kefir, it's supposed to have a lot.
    That was on one of the lists I saw, but I wasn't sure what it was. What is it and where do you get it?
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I doubt it. I eat mushrooms like it's my job, and I haven't had any ill effects.
  • handrij
    handrij Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Why for ladies only? It is possible for men to get an yeast infection too.
  • michele_lynn
    michele_lynn Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Yep, what he said.. men can get yeast infections too!
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Eat Yogart
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I have bought Kefir in one of two places at a grocery story - either in the dairy section where the regular yogurt is kept or in the organic/healthy dairy section. Depends on the type of grocery store and how they break their aisles out. I find Kefir a bit strong but have enjoyed the Blueberry from time to time - but only half a serving.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I'd think you'd have to do something with the mushroom other than merely eat it to get an infection