Bananas bad?

Options
So according to my co-worker, bananas are really bad for weight loss because of all the sugar they contain. This bums me out because I love bananas! I eat them to keep my legs from spazzing out and to help with cramps.

So I want some answer, should I give bananas up while trying to lose weight (I try to limit myself to a small banana every few days).

I'll take all the advice I can get :)

:glasses:

Replies

• carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    No, they're not bad! As long as they fit into your calorie and macro nutrient goals they can be included as part of you diet (just like everything else, actually).
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I eat one every day and I've lost over 60lbs.

Sugar from fruit isn't the worst thing you could do. You need it. So don't worry. I'm no doctor but I strongly recommend bananas whenever I can. Lots of potassium and they help you feel full.
  • Slugsasarus
    Slugsasarus Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    They're not bad, but they are a high glycemic index food, meaning, they spike your blood sugar. They're really good before a work out though! Like anything else, fine in moderation!
  • angiek2322
    angiek2322 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I eat 2 bananas a day. I just log them..... really good bedtime snack with peanut butter:)
  • edena1987
    edena1987 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana everyday for a snack because of the same issues (legs, cramps). I don't think they are bad for you. Great source of potassium (sp?)
  • trhjrh06
    trhjrh06 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    This is how i see it, don't not eat something to lose weight. I mean moderation is key. Are you going to go your whole life without banana's? No you like them, so don't not eat banana's until you get to your goal weight, it doesn't make sense. If it fits into your calorie goal for the day eat one. They aren't bad for you.
  • pinstripepirate
    pinstripepirate Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I eat bananas pretty much every single day, and if I have any problems losing weight I guarantee you it's not from the bananas!!
  • supergirlie00
    Options
    I'm so happy to see all these answers! I was really not going to be happy about kicking bananas out of my diet. My co-worker still seems to insist they are not helpful in weight loss, but I'll just eat them when she isn't around ;)
  • monicanicoletta
    monicanicoletta Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    So according to my co-worker, bananas are really bad for weight loss because of all the sugar they contain. This bums me out because I love bananas! I eat them to keep my legs from spazzing out and to help with cramps.

So I want some answer, should I give bananas up while trying to lose weight (I try to limit myself to a small banana every few days).

I'll take all the advice I can get :)

:glasses:

I do not eat bananas.... they are higher in calorie and one of the few fruits that go through you within an hour leaving you feeling hungry and not providing much nutrient. just my opinion :)
  • Suziq2you
    Suziq2you Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Eat the bananas. They taste good and they are good for you.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy to see all these answers! I was really not going to be happy about kicking bananas out of my diet. My co-worker still seems to insist they are not helpful in weight loss, but I'll just eat them when she isn't around ;)

Eat them in front of her! Tell her you'll see which one of you two loses more weight.

We got your back.

she's probably telling you not to eat past 6pm too.... :grumble:
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    They are NOT bad. You just have to eat them in moderation. They do contain a lot of sugar but it is NATURAL sugar and not refined. However, I personally, do not eat more than 1 or 2 a day. I eat them for the cramps in my legs as well.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    There aren't many foods that are natural, ie come in their own wrapper in nature instead of a man-made bag / box or combo of the two that I'd consier bad. I'll take a banana and its micro-nutrients (and macros) over anything from a box any day.
  • supergirlie00
    Options

Eat them in front of her! Tell her you'll see which one of you two loses more weight.

We got your back.

she's probably telling you not to eat past 6pm too.... :grumble:

Haha no she hasn't told me the 6pm rule, I try not to eat about 2 hours before bed as it is! That's a great idea I SHOULD eat one in front of her and when its time to weigh in we'll see who gets the last laugh :laugh:
  • mcanavan05
    mcanavan05 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    BANANAS! :drinker: :smokin: :devil: :bigsmile:
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Bananas are great for you, and as you noticed - the potassium helps with leg cramps! If you get easily upset by what you see on the scale, you won't want to eat one before you step on the scale, but they don't cause you to gain weight. Some wrestlers will eat bananas before a weigh-in to make a higher weight class. It doesn't stick, but it is there until digested!
  • CandeesLand
    Options
    I just ate a banana, and it was fantastic.
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana almost every single day......
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Bananas good.

Eat bananas.

End of story.

:drinker:
  • autumnh2009
    autumnh2009 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If I had to rid my life of bananas I'd cry. :sad: