Can you lose some weight by walking?

Options

Replies

• ameyc2002
    ameyc2002 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    absolutely i have lost 50lbs and a lil more than half the exercise i do is walking or leslie sansome walk at home videos.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    YES......to this day, that is basically the only exercise I do. Some of you would call me skinny fat -- but after an initial loss of 72 pounds, I am still down (almost six years later) 55+ pounds. Working to lose about 10 again, as i know at my lowest, I was too low. I try to walk 15-20 miles each week, either outside or on the treadmill, or around the pods at school.
    Kaye
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    You don't have to go to a gym or participate in a sport to get more activity and gain fitness. Take your 10 month old for walks, get on the floor and play, garden, etc. These will all burn calories and build up your endurance in different ways. Work with your doctor to get your asthma under control too. Breathing is a very important part of life. You will have more energy once it is under control (speaking from experience)
  • chatipati1
    chatipati1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Walking is good for the body and soul. I don't know how your asthma is...but my kid has asthma and played high school volleyball. She did have to take the puffer before exercising, and also was put on a disc to be taken daily at that time.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Walking is what I used when I first changed my diet. It's low impact, doesn't wear you out or make you hungry and it does burn fat.
  • ARMom8251
    ARMom8251 Posts: 194
    Options
    You most certainly can lose the weight by walking. I know I've lost 46 pounds that way. I started out by just walking, I was to big to be running any where or so I thought, and I eventually worked my way up to running. I never thought of myself as someone who would love to run, but I do I love it, and I hate it on days I don't get to. Its easy and its effective, what more can you ask for!
  • hperowl
    hperowl Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Omg, yes. You can totally walk. My friend lost a crapload of weight by starting with walking. Then she gradually moved onto running. You can do it!

Walking is one of the best forms of exercise for you, and when the weather permits, take baby with you! Start slow and go from there! You can also add light weight training to tone up those muscles! Good luck!:smile:
  • torie079
    torie079 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    When I moved from Maine to GA I couldn't run in the heat... I would come close to passing out. So I walked 3-4 miles a day,very briskly and lost 15 pounds...no diet or anything. I think the heat helped, but yes you can...especially with a healthy eating regiment!
  • boncharlie
    boncharlie Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Defintely!!

I have lost all my weight - 80lbs so far just by walking everyday. 3-4 times a week for an hour or two, just pushing my toddler in her pram. I couldn't afford a gym or take my toddler with me so walking was the only thing I could do. My advice is time yourself.. see if you can push yourself to go faster and further each time..

Good luck :)
  • weezie0821
    weezie0821 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've lost all my weight by just walking...I am now up to 3 miles a day...

Good Luck!!!
  • Slove009
    Slove009 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    My mother lost 30lbs in six months by just walking. She would walk with our dog until she felt like turning around. She loved it and was a much healthier and happier person when she went for walks. As chatipati1 said, it is good for your soul too! If there is a local zoo near to you, I would suggest getting a membership. My husband and I go to the zoo often and walk around for a minimum of an hour and it's great! A nice park is great place to go walk too, and they are free!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Balance your lifestyle with healthy eating and then add in some cardio, I have severely bad knee's and actually had to start walking in the pool and lost 170 lbs. there before moving onto land based exercises... So yes definitely start walking........ good luck to you....
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Heck yes. I am also an asthmatic..for 58 years. Plus, I have an artifical hip (3 hip surgeries in less than 2 years) and I have
    dislocated that hip twice this past summer. Running is NOT allowed for me...ever. So..it's walking for me. I also can no longer
    do yoga...but I would suggest it for you. It was awesome, and didn't bother my asthma at all.
    Good luck!!
  • Tuffjourney
    Options
    I lost my first 70lbs just walking.... so yeah I think so... Then again I was 370

Great job!!!

I too lost all my weight walking and watching what I eat. I started out at 10 minutes. Which was hard. I increased it as it came easier. Now I walk an hour everyday at lunch(at least I try too). I have even been known to do 6 miles on a weekend around a lake. Nice!
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Heck yeah. That's how I've done it. =)
  • Tuffjourney
    Options
    Balance your lifestyle with healthy eating and then add in some cardio, I have severely bad knee's and actually had to start walking in the pool and lost 170 lbs. there before moving onto land based exercises... So yes definitely start walking........ good luck to you....

Wow you are such an inspiration. Well done!
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    You lose weight by creating a calorie deficit, period. Consume less calories than you burn. You can create a calorie deficit by diet alone, but exercise is good for the body.
  • kirianna55
    kirianna55 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    My friend lost all her baby weight by walking while carrying her child in one of those slings that you can tie your kid into.
  • missalicia78
    Options
    I LOVE the Leslie Sansone DVD's! They really can be deceptively difficult as one post mentioned so you should definitely pace yourself. Start with the 1 mile walk and, if you feel like it's a little too easy for you, add some 5 lb weights to your arm work and/or squat a little more when she does the leg work (you'll understand what I mean when you get into the videos). I work overnight at a hospital and a few of us used to get together on our half hour break and do the 1 mile. I can't compare it to the 400+ calorie burn I do at the gym but, after being sedentary, I think it's a decent workout!
  • richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    walking is all i have done so far so yep, definitely