Low Carbers- Help!! Sushi ?

Options
So my husband just called and said that his brother wants to take us out to sushi tonight :-( Can I have sushi? I know I can opt for brown rice or just not eat the rice but is it totally gonna kill me having that small amount of rice?? Options please!! I already had some carbs today so Im thinking its best not to touch any for the rest of the day to make sure uggh Sushi is my fav!!!

Replies

• tohealth4me
    tohealth4me Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I once saw on some TV show that 6 rolls of sushi is like 3 pieces of white bread. Don't know if it is true, but totally stuck with me.

How about sushimi and salad? Or one order of rolls and salad?
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Easy peasy. Sashimi. Done.
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    ...if you love it, you should have it. you can enjoy about everything you really love within reason. sushi is yummy and for the most part, healthy. ENJOY!
  • Get sashimi! Its basically straight protien and omega 3s!
  • evansproudmama
    Options
    Sashimi is the raw fish right? I like that but what about the rice underneath? Just skip it? or is it not that bad for you?
  • JaeDeeCaterpillar
    JaeDeeCaterpillar Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Nagiri is when the raw fish comes with rice under it. Sashimi is when it's just served as raw fish, no rice.
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    If you going to go out for sushi - enjoy - just not often.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I can't help much...your low carb is not my low carb. 100+g? wow...

But rice=carbs
  • pinkstp
    pinkstp Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I once saw on some TV show that 6 rolls of sushi is like 3 pieces of white bread. Don't know if it is true, but totally stuck with me.

How about sushimi and salad? Or one order of rolls and salad?

She just said that on Biggest Loser last night! (She = nutritionist for BL). I would enjoy it as a small treat and see what else they have to offer? Or order w/o the rice.
  • ccnjc4e
    ccnjc4e Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Rice=carbs. But, if you don't go out a lot it won't be that bad.
  • SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    UGGGGGH.. The word Sushi..Runs out the ROOM!!!:grumble: Love this stuff( All my Pals know):laugh:
  • PaddyB13
    Options
    In some places, they make the Sushi rice with sugar and rice vinegar to make it sticky. Lots of carbs. As stated in a previous comment, Nigiri is the fish on top of the rice and sashimi is just pieces of the raw fish usually with some cucumbers or radish. Stick with the sashimi and beware of hidden carbs in salad dressings or any of the other types of side dishes they may serve. Good luck.
  • BC47460
    Options
    "Sushi" is your raw fish with the rice, it includes "california" rolls etc. "Sashimi" is the fish with no rice. So if you like the fish part of sushi you should be fine with sashimi. Only you can decide if the rice is "ok". It would depend on many things. How much would you eat? Really, how much is in one of those rolls anyway? Can you mix it up and a little of each. The serving size is 1/4 cup of cooked sushi rice weighing 52 g, or about 2 oz. Sushi rice has 45 g of carbohydrates per serving:

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/299416-sushi-rice-nutrition-facts/#ixzz1jC0utRwE
  • marnieinMB
    marnieinMB Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    You can always ask for your rolls to be wrapped in cucumber instead of rice.

Also tuna and beef tettaki are good options.
  • MiniMichelle
    MiniMichelle Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Sashimi is the raw fish right? I like that but what about the rice underneath? Just skip it? or is it not that bad for you?

Sashimi does not have rice underneath. It just just the fish. The rice underneath is called Nigiri... stay away from that if you are low-carb.

Try Miso Soup, Seawead Salad (One of my FAVES!!!) and some Sashimi- Delish dinner :)
  • lisar514
    lisar514 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I would always get the sashimi (fish w/o rice), edamame and tuna carpacio or beef carpacio.
    There is usually a meet/fish dish that you can have
    Also the cucumber salad is delish...
    Problem when you go for sushi and can't eat the rice - it takes a lot to fill you up which is why I would subsidize with the beef.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Wow, you are REALLY serious about this low carb thing. Well, you could get seared tuna or some seaweed salad. Both are very.good.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Most japanese places here in New Zealand would have some sort of salad as well (just ask for the dressing on the side)

So some sashimi, maybe one or two pieces of sushi (with the rice) and then a salad..... or even a salmon, beef or chicken dish (again most japanese places will have other options than just sushi....)

If you are low carb - but you eat more fat then even some vegetable or prawn tempura can be an option....

ooohhh - and edamame - .......mmmm - might have to do Japanese again some time soon!!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    If its a one-off I would have a couple of pieces with rice,and some fish/ meat dishes. And wouldn't worry too much about one day being way over carbs, just get back on track tomorrow.
  • NikkiConroy
    Options
    Calories in calories out, go and enjoy yourself and the company. Yes it's caloric and full of carbs----extra exercise for the rest of the week. ENJOY LIFE! Make tonight your splurge night instead of a Saturday evening and back on full force tomorrow. You got great suggestions from the rest of the members about the sashimi.
    Maki rolls are my favorite and I eat them until it hurts---than make up for it the rest of the week.