your birth control PILL experiences

Options
13»

Replies

• Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I did it for like 6 months. Was covered in a rash all the time. Don't like being jacked up on hormones so I got rid of them. :P
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I become a crazy, emotional wreck on any sort of hormonal birth control.
  • neddoh
    neddoh Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Ortho-Tricyclin, took it for 4 years, tried depo provera shots for a year (they sucked) and I've been back on the ortho for the last 7.5 years and counting. I think they tried me on Ortho-tricyclin low for a year but I didn't like that either so I take the full strength version.

I'm on Ortho-Tricyclin low and I'm curious to know what differences you noticed between the two!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I chart my cycle and take my temp every morning. Its much better for you than the pill. There are no side effects.

Way too much like gambling! No way!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Had nuva ring from 2004 until 2011. Switched to Lutera due to cost issues.

With nuva I never noticed it. I felt HAPPY (which was rare because I suffer from depression) and I gained no weight at all. (when I did gain weight, it was from finally having an income and eating way too much from it).

Breast tenderness was there, but not as bad as without it. I have had headaches all my life, so this neither caused nor decreased / increased them. They stayed the same.

Period did change. It went from rather light and 5 days long to EXTREMELY light and 2 days long. NO cramps. NO pain. It was incredible.
    No appetite changes. No nausea.

Now I am on Lutera and I have been getting waves of depression again. Breasts the same as on Nuva. Headaches still rampant . Period still pain free (maybe I am just lucky) but now 3-4 days instead of 2. Rather light but not as light as before. Perhaps appetite change. I am not often hungry. at all. (that might be another cause, though)

The first 2 months on Lutera were horrible. I felt empty, sad, and I guess the best word for it, strange. It felt like I could observe the world happening but not take part in it. Something definitely changed in my head. Felt a LOT like when I was on anti-anxiety pills. That effect has worn off and I feel better, but still get massive depression bursts that rarely (if ever) happened while I was on Nuva.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I chart my cycle and take my temp every morning. Its much better for you than the pill. There are no side effects.

Way too much like gambling! No way!

Side effects may include pregnancy.
  • EBitt
    EBitt Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been on the pill for 10 years and its hard to say how it effects me because i haven't been off it in so long. I don't think my weight has ever been effected by it and my mood is fine. I've been on a few generic forms over the ten years- mostly low doses. My favorite is what i'm currently on. Its the generic form of Seasonique ---Amethia.You take three straight months worth then have a regular period. It is real cheap- $30 i think as opposed to Seasonique which for me was $250 with good health insurance!! I love it.
  • rissadiane
    rissadiane Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    The first birth control I was ever on was Ortho-Novum, and I loved it! Then I got off of it, went back on with Ortho Tricyclen Lo and absolutely hated it. Now I'm on Reclipsen, which is the generic, and so far so good.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Ortho-Tricyclin, took it for 4 years, tried depo provera shots for a year (they sucked) and I've been back on the ortho for the last 7.5 years and counting. I think they tried me on Ortho-tricyclin low for a year but I didn't like that either so I take the full strength version.

I'm on Ortho-Tricyclin low and I'm curious to know what differences you noticed between the two!
    Heavier flow and way more cramping/back pain when I was on the low. They said there was no medical reason for me to be on the lower hormone dose (just a habit of that doc I happened to see that day), so they put me back on the regular ortho.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    My experience with The Pill is that it prevents pregnancy. That makes me like it more than any other product in my everyday life.
  • MSepp
    MSepp Posts: 228
    Options
    I'm on OTC-lo. I have gained weight on it and CANNOT shed it to save my life. I am exercising daily and eating less...it's not working. Anyone have suggestions-or is it just the pill?
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Did you gain/lose weight?

Headaches?

breast swelling?

period changes?

appetite changes?

nausea?

WHAT PILL ARE YOU TAKING? HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN ON IT?

Last year I got put on Ortho Tri-Cyclen to regulate and lessen my periods. I hated it with a passion. I was starving 24/7, I put on about 4-5lbs. Couldn't get rid of it for anything. Plus around that TOM I would regularly retain so much water that my fingers felt like sausages and my ankles turned into cankles. We're talking 6-7lbs of water weight. I went off it after 5 months because I was so miserable.....I'd rather have the irregular heavy periods. So far (knock on wood, I've been off the Pill about 4 months now) my periods have been pretty regular and not too heavy. I will not go back on it again.
  • Phoenix1401
    Phoenix1401 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Holy *kitten*! I was thinkinng about trying the pill but this thread totally changed my mind! My heart iks beating out of my chest! Blah! Scary!