irrational fears

Options
_snw_
_snw_ Posts: 1,305 Member
Do you have an irrational fear?

I ~don't~ mean being scared of heights or snakes - those are actual things people are often confronted with. I'm talking bat *kitten* crazy fears over things that will never ever happen.

I have two.

1 - When I'm at the zoo, I am terrified my kids will fall into the hippo pool. (hipposRDangerous - you totally remind me of this) No, my kids aren't scaling the pool enclosure or anything, but it's pretty much the only thought in my head while standing there.

2. - When driving by any body of water, I fear the car will go in and I'll be faced with 3 kids in car seats that I will have to somehow hold my breath and save them all - AFTER the car is totally filled with water (mythbusters taught me how to get the door open underwater) and it scared the crap out of me. Like cold sweat fear.

Replies

• jimmynorton24
    Options
    i cant drive withanyone else driving, havent rode in a car with someone else driving in 10 plus years!!
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    Everytime there is a log truck coming toward me I always feel nervous that somehow that the load or just a single log will come off the truck just as I get to it.
    I wouldn`t call it a fear exactly but it definitely is irrational.
  • _snw_
    Options
    Everytime there is a log truck coming toward me I always feel nervous that somehow that the load or just a single log will come off the truck just as I get to it.
    I wouldn`t call it a fear exactly but it definitely is irrational.

heh - now that you mention it - i think of that too.
  • torinoel14
    torinoel14 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    When I am in a movie theater, classroom, etc I always sit next to the exit in case someone tries to shoot up the place. Maybe that is just paranoia.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Mannequins
  • _snw_
    Options
    When I am in a movie theater, classroom, etc I always sit next to the exit in case someone tries to shoot up the place. Maybe that is just paranoia.

hey - just because you're paranoid does ~not~ mean they aren't after you.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    To me those are totally rational. But I suppose that's why I take pills for severe anxiety :bigsmile: My most irrational (to other, that is) is that when its really windy and the street signs and stop signs are wobbling, I'm afraid it will come loose in a big gust, chop through the windsheild, and cut through my carotid artery.

These are the things I deal with every day. Le sigh.
  • blueandigo
    Options
    I don't like dirt or ugliness. Basically anything un dashing.
  • 33lbsless
    Options
    Me too!! I think I'm a paranoid person though...
  • jerseynegrita06
    jerseynegrita06 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to laugh, but your fear of hippos reminded me of taking my class to the Adventure Aquarium & one of them threw this ball he had just bought from the gift shop in the seal tank! He demanded I go in & get it & totally flipped out!! Then he actually put his leg over the side of the wall & was going into a tank with seals!!
  • scinamon1
    scinamon1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    i was just thinking about this on my run! Vampires and werewolves- don't know why. Avoid all films and most books with them in, or skip the scariest parts. Definitely just sped up my 11.30pm run!
  • Maggieq87
    Maggieq87 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I hate moths.

I don't know what's wrong with me. They freak me out. I will jump and scream and throw my hands around like it's a swarm of bees. All other insects, scaly creatures, rodents...totally fine.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I posted this before, but ill give some new people nightmares xD

I am ungodly scared that I will be on the toilet (very vulnerable!) and a spider or bug will appear.

Best way to describe it so people know what I mean:
    tumblr_lsb2vd52Xv1qz9e2ao1_400.gif
  • southofmadness
    southofmadness Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    fire in a bar, store or something. Any time i go into anyplace..bar...whatever. I look and find the rear exits. if there is a fire, everyone runs to the way they came in . That way we can get out the back without being crushed.
  • alishuman
    Options
    I have anxiety issues... Last time I had a bad attack, my fear was pencils. Yes... pencils. I just knew one of my kids was going to stab themselves in the eyeball with a pencil, by falling. Didn't matter that they acrry their pencils in cases, in their backpacks. And pens and colored pencils weren't the problem. Just those stupid #2 pencils they needed for math.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    the look of tiny clusters of things (holes, bumps, ridges) freaks me out - for example porous things like the inside of a bone
    taste buds, the look of skin under a microscope, honeycombs, and so on
    oh and the scales on fish which leads to me to my fear of fish lol
  • lorac321
    lorac321 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I am much like Carl, I can NOT be behind any kind of semi carrying a load. Logs, apples, pipes etc. I really do not like to be between two semi's with a load either.

I can not to go to a cemetary alone at night.
  • Myndi73
    Myndi73 Posts: 270
    Options
    I am absolutely terrified of bridges, be it walking or driving over them. I start sweating, shaking and sometimes burst out into tears. I have no idea why. Well, last year, a year ago today as a matter of fact, I crashed on a bridge! I hit black ice and ping ponged all over the bridge. My fear is through the roof now. Worst part, I have to cross 3 bridges to and from work each day. Uggh!
  • Maria_t02
    Options
    when driving at night i just about get a panic attack every time a car is driving in the opposite direction! I always worry its gonna smash right into me.
  • BethGThomas
    BethGThomas Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    To Sunshine_88....

I think I'm gonna vomit. Spiders make me break out in a sweat and have a panic attack.