Critique this advice from the trainer at the gym for me

Options
I want to start strength training. The last time I was in a gym was 10 years ago, I don't remember anything about how to use machines or proper form or all that. I've been reading what you've all recommended and said regarding lift heavy, low reps for us girls. So I went into the gym and told the trainer this is kind of what I was looking for, that I wanted to do free weights, learn things like deadlifts and squats and lunges. and needed some orientation/training.

I had a fitness assessment and he disagreed with the lift heavy/low rep thing on this basis: that I am new and have no strength and need to build some strength in core groups on the machines before moving to free weights, indicating that I'd be too high risk for injuries like rotator cuff blah blah blah without some strength to build on. He also made some comments about women getting big on the lift heavy/low rep scheme which almost made my eyes roll back into my head.

IDKWTF, please assist. Ask me questions if you need more info.

Replies

• MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine any good trainer wanting to you to shy away from lifting heavy because you'll get big. I can't really speak to the rest of it apart from my own experience.

So, for what it's worth, when I started back at the gym, my trainer had me doing all sorts of full body exercises and compound lifts. He was always very careful, though, to make sure I wasn't lifting so much that my form went to hell.
  • SickofBeingChub
    Options
    I'm no expert but I have been lifting heavy for two years... First off I have never come across a woman who has gotten big from lifting. That's not even possible in our DNA. You would have to have an insane amount of testosterone. Anyway, weightlifting is going to help you burn fat!
    I would start with no weights, use a PCP pipe, learn the movements so you do not hurt yourself, everyday add 5lbs.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say he doesn't know what he's talking about.

I'm not a trainer nor do I have any qualifications so don't take my word for it.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I think he's being understandably cautious. But if you show him what you can do, you can likely move to free weights quickly
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I know virtually nothing about this, but I have to say that I was given almost identical information from a trainer 3-4 years ago. He said to do more reps with lighter weights. But no idea if that's accurate.

A few MFP people have been talking about a book just out about lifting, for women. Maybe it would have some answers.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I want to start strength training. The last time I was in a gym was 10 years ago, I don't remember anything about how to use machines or proper form or all that. I've been reading what you've all recommended and said regarding lift heavy, low reps for us girls. So I went into the gym and told the trainer this is kind of what I was looking for, that I wanted to do free weights, learn things like deadlifts and squats and lunges. and needed some orientation/training.

I had a fitness assessment and he disagreed with the lift heavy/low rep thing on this basis: that I am new and have no strength and need to build some strength in core groups on the machines before moving to free weights, indicating that I'd be too high risk for injuries like rotator cuff blah blah blah without some strength to build on. He also made some comments about women getting big on the lift heavy/low rep scheme which almost made my eyes roll back into my head.

Listen to your trainer or FIRE HIM!

Actually, in this case I would tend to agree.
    If you're starting out, start slow, get acclimated, then move up to more intense forms.
    We must crawl before walking, walk before running and run before soaring!
  • TriciaZ944
    TriciaZ944 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    In my opinion...A good trainer should teach you how to lift appropriately. Once you get the proper form then there is no reason you can't lift free weights. I also agree you won't bulk.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I'd go with your gut on this one.
  • Carlamere84
    Options
    Get a different trainer!!! Oh and for the record, you probably already know, women who lift weights ONLY get huge muscles if they're on steroids.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I'm not a certified personal trainer, so in my armature opinion that trainer is a douche canoe.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Yeah I know I can't get big from lifting heavy, that's why I was eye rolling so hard. He wants me to do 90% machines, which is exactly what I DO NOT want, and says compound lifts are too dangerous for beginners. Arghhhhhh!!!
  • Cueball55
    Cueball55 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert either, but I agree with him.

Lighter, compound exercises to begin with, to build up your stabilizer muscles and overall body strength, as well as muscle endurance. Proceed from there.
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    If you have no true base, I can see where he is coming from. You should build a base up first before you can delve into heavy lifting. It is risk for injury if you go one day not strength training into 75 plus pounds deadlifts, etc. Definitely take advice from above, learn the form with a Pipe or light bar. Then build up your strength. You can still do all of the exercises you want to do but focus on building up your strength week by week. And don't think you have to start with 5 pounds. Test the waters out and find a starting weight that is challenging but not overly. Also, focus a lot on your core and form. Supermans, Push-ups, ab exercises other than your basic crunch...anything that will get your core strong will help. Good luck with your training and just remember: your body is amazing and with some patience it can do what you wish it to :-)

To add...it doesn't have to be machines. I personally think free weights and body weight exercises are the way to go if you want to build strength. resistance machines aren't natural enough or challenging enough imo.
  • Cueball55
    Cueball55 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Yeah I know I can't get big from lifting heavy, that's why I was eye rolling so hard. He wants me to do 90% machines, which is exactly what I DO NOT want, and says compound lifts are too dangerous for beginners. Arghhhhhh!!!

OK.. i rescind my previous post. I disagree with him. I repeat. I think you should do lighter weight (50% 1RM) compound exercises for high reps (10-15) to start.

I completely disagree with machines at your stage, because you are looking to build stabilizer muscles. Machines are isolation type exercises.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Understandably, the trainer is trying to get you to focus on stabalizing your core muscles which, in the long run, will make you stronger overall. It is my experience however, that trainers that give this kind of advice though typically want you to focus on your core strength for as long as your contract is with them if you know what I mean.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I don't agree with him at all. *Not a trainer though*

I started out lifting with free weights. Benching the bar, squatting the bar to work on form, And dead lifting with 10 pound bumpers on the sides. Form is very important for a variety of reasons.

4 years later and I can squat 180, dead 225, and bench 90 (at 120 lbs)
    And I don't have a clue how to use most of the machines at the gym xD
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

Listen to your trainer or FIRE HIM!

Actually, in this case I would tend to agree.
    If you're starting out, start slow, get acclimated, then move up to more intense forms.
    We must crawl before walking, walk before running and run before soaring!

While this is sound advice, the part that makes me think he's a bit douchie is that he's pushing her toward machines rather than awesome free weight exercises within her capability. machines tend to isolate muscles and ignore stabilizers.
  • timmymon
    timmymon Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I don't see why starting off on the machines until you build up your strength is bad advice. I am sure trainers see a lot of people who are over ambitious when they begin strength training and end up getting injured due to lack of experience, form, strength, etc. Remember it is not a race! You will be hitting those free weights hard before you know it. Build a solid base first and see how it goes.
  • akjmart2002
    akjmart2002 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Compound lifts CAN be dangerous for beginners, which is why you have a trainer to show you how to do them properly! Nothing says that you should load a bar up with 200lb and start throwing it around. Start light but don't shy away from barbells just because some dude thinks little girls should only be using the thighmaster.
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Its a safety thing, if trainers can keep you on machines you are less likely to hurt yourself, so you are less likely to sue the gym. Just use good form with the free weights and you'll do fine.