Flax Seed

Options
I've been hearing all the positives of adding flax seed into my diet. Any tips on how? I've never really used it before and I don't bake all too often for myself. I basically stick to yogurt, protein shakes, salads, chicken, fruit, veggies, hummus, dip, etc.

Any tips on how to add it in? Also, what is the taste/ consistency like?

Thanks!

Replies

• lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I would love some tips on this as well. I've had cereal that had flax seed added as well as granola with it added and I've always really enjoyed it. I'd be curious to try adding it to other foods.

Also can anyone post the health benefits and any possible drawbacks?
  • sullivann
    sullivann Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I've heard it's good in smoothies, but I could be wrong. :P
  • Mom2twins121408
    Options
    I add a tablespoon of flaxseed to my smoothies every morning. My favorite right now os half cup skim milk, quarter of an apple, 5 strawberries, and a half scoop protein powder. It's yummy and keeps me full and full of energy for quite a while.
  • Mom2twins121408
    Options
    I also have added it to muffin mixes before. You can add it to anything. My cousin adds it to soup.
  • BigMike915
    BigMike915 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I've been hearing all the positives of adding flax seed into my diet. Any tips on how? I've never really used it before and I don't bake all too often for myself. I basically stick to yogurt, protein shakes, salads, chicken, fruit, veggies, hummus, dip, etc.

Any tips on how to add it in? Also, what is the taste/ consistency like?

Thanks!
    [/quote

You can add them to all the foods you listed. They really don't have much taste, to me, so they do not make things taste different. I pour them on most the stuff I eat.]
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I mix it half&half with oatmeal-- e.g., 2 tbs dry ground flax seed, 2 tbs dry oatmeal. Add water, microwave and enjoy!

We also add it to ALL of our baked goods-- 4 tbsp per cup of flour.
  • hoffman1990
    hoffman1990 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I use it in smoothies, in cooked oatmeal, in muffins, sprinkled on top of salad and when I bake breads and cookies.
  • angisnee
    angisnee Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    My new favorite thing to add it to is meatloaf. I use chopped oatmeal instead of bread crumbs and add at least 2 T of flaxseed. Can't even tell it's there!

I also got a recipe from the recipe section here that I make almost daily, and you can do so many things with it. 2-minute microwave mug bread. You can use 2 T whole wheat flour, 2 T flaxseed or just use all 4 T flaxseed, but be careful if you're not used to that much fiber at once!

2-minute microwave mug bread:

4 T flaxseed
    1 egg
    1/4 C canned pumpkin or sugar-free applesauce
    1/4 t cinnamon
    1/8 t nutmeg
    1/8 t baking powder

Mix all the ingredients, pour into a Pam-sprayed mug or bowl and microwave for 1:45 to 2 minutes. When I have the calories/fat left, I top with margarine and a little cinnamon/sugar.

ETA: You can put a little sweetener in there, but I think it tastes great without it. :)
  • amh1974
    amh1974 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I like it in smoothies- especially ones with peanut butter. It gives a crunchy texture to things and is really good for your hair. I add it to yogurt too. I like the taste and texture of it.... my hair doesn't look bad either!

13707439.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • jillucidi
    Options
    1 pc of whole wheat toast with light cream cheese.

i put my flax , chia, and sunflower seeds on THAT! SUPER good!!

hope you like it ):
  • maryj2367
    maryj2367 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I take flaxseed capsules everyday, I have been for a couple years now my optometrist said its good for the eyes and heart to.
  • elliemaemollyann
    Options
    I put Flax Seed in my salads, soups, I had a bowl of cooked spinach tonight and added a tablespoon to my spinach. It really doesn't taste bad. It's a little crunchy.. I even put it in one of my smooties. Good Luck!
  • getfitnfab
    getfitnfab Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    No expert here

Love flax seeds

Was told to eat them grounded, for better digestion, lot of times whole flax passes thru without being digested

Once ground keep in the fridge

I like it with plain yoghurt
    Give it to my kids with oatmeal
  • campbellj
    campbellj Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Go to Target and get the Archer Farms blue corn and flaxseed tortilla chips. That way, you can get the flaxseed you want and its in something that tastes good and familiar.

Watch your portions though. 10 Chips is 123 calories.

Good luck!
  • RoboLikes
    RoboLikes Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks for all the great options!
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    You could add it to your smoothies. I add mine to my oatmeal. The thing you want to make sure is that you use ground flaxseed. If you buy whole flaxseed you can grind it fresh yourself, I use gound flaxseed meal and store it in my freezer once I open it. The thing with whole, is your body can't break down the outer shell, so it will pass though your system without all the benefits of the omega 3 and fiber.

Enjoy

Ps. I also add it to my greek yogurt. It gives it some texture and a nutty flavor.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    You have to grind them using a blender to get the benefits. I eat a tablespoon every morning in my oatmeal. You can also add it to your yogurt, shakes, etc. I also learned that you DO NOT HEAT THEM. So if you cook them in oatmeal, add it when it is done.
  • erinkelly2
    erinkelly2 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I add a tsp and a halfto greek yogert and it makes for a pretty filling bfast
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Smoothies, cereal, baked goods. If you don't like the crunch, try ground flax seed. Also, it's a good idea to keep them in the freeser or at least the fridge because the fatty acids in them are unstable and go rancid quickly. Also, you can use chia seeds in all the same things for similar health benefits plus antioxidants.
  • farmgirlsuz
    farmgirlsuz Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I take flaxseed capsules everyday, I have been for a couple years now my optometrist said its good for the eyes and heart to.

My gynecologist told me to take flaxseed capsules for night sweats caused by menopause. Haven't had a night sweat since!