How Do you Read?

Options

Replies

• Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Okay, so there have been threads on what your reading and threads on the Kindle and such but I wanna know how you read a book.

Me, I love to buy books. I love the way the pages feel and I like turning them. I like flipping the tops to save my spot and being able to write or highlight in them if there a part i dont want to forget.

Lots of people are buying Kindles and Nooks but are they really worth it? I have a book of Grimm Fairy tales and a poetry book that my grandmother wrote in. I love to see her handwritting it makes all more special to me....if she would have given me an ebook would it have felt the same? I dont think so.

But I have been thinking about getting a kindle for daily reading. I just down loaded a book on to my phone and find it harder to read.....

So how do you read a book?
    I adore everything about a book. I love the smell of the pages, ink and glue, and holding it and turning pages as well. However, once I read a book, I like to keep them, and re-read them occasionaly. I can't really do that in my tiny apartment. There is no space to keep a lot of stuff. My husband bought my Nook for me and I LOVE it!! It allows me to buy and keep my books, to read over and over. Also love having games, and being able to go online with it, especialy when the laptop and desktop are being used by my husband and stepdaughter. lol
    I'll always prefer a paper book to a electric one, but I love the ability to keep my books now.
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I love my books! I have hundreds and have been an avid reader since childhood, many decades ago. I read myself to sleep every night and derive great comfort from holding a book. I'm not anti technology by any means, but nothing beats a good book! I even like the smell of a book, the thickness of a page turning in my hand, etc. I have a stack of "in progress" books by my bed and choose what I want to read nightly and enjoy the process of looking at them to decide. Books are great!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Right to left.

Top to bottom.

Try not to move my lips.
    RIGHT to left?

I read left to right.
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I love things in print. Books, magazines, newspapers...there is nothing like it. Curling up with a good book in bed and seeing it waiting for me on the nightstand is great. I can't imagine wanting to read it on a Kindle or Nook. No thanks!!
  • dayylight
    Options
    I used to be a total snob about reading real books over ebooks but honestly, it's so much easier to carry around my nook than a couple books in my purse. I still have shelves and shelves of books, especially because I collect works of authors and I am in school to be a librarian. I don't buy books anymore though, unless it's part of a collection I want. I either get them on my nook or check them out from the library.
  • lyssamichelle
    lyssamichelle Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    I can't read on a kindle or laptop.. It's not so good for my eyes.
    I love books. I had so many, sold a bunch for 80 dollars at this half priced book store.. I miss them.
    I have a hard time getting them from the library, who knows what people have done with those.. Freaks me out.. I have to have brand new books.
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    Right to left.

Top to bottom.

Try not to move my lips.
    RIGHT to left?

I read left to right.

Is that like a europe thing?
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I like having an actual book to read. Only things I read on my phone are news related articles.
  • OooLaurenooO
    OooLaurenooO Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Usually in the tub. And I read a chapter in bed before going to sleep.

Ditto. I love reading on a Sunday afternoon after Eastenders ominbus, nice glass of red - happy days.

The latest books ive read were the entire Katie Price "Angel" collection. Im back to the first book again i love them. :happy:
  • Dare2BThin
    Dare2BThin Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    My hubby got me a kindle for Christmas and I love it.....one reason it the books are $5-10 cheaper, plus I had a problem with ppl borrowing books and never rturning them. This way I know where my books are at all times. Kindles have the ability to rent from the library and a ton a free books. I still have my real book, the ones that are my absolute favorites that I read over and over again but I love my kindle. I also love that I can take all my books with me on the road.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Gotta have the real thing. Besides... I like the look of a bookcase full of books, I like being able to lend books to friends...

I know!! Right?!! Best book is a book shared!! :D
  • rmstorey
    Options
    Right to left.

Top to bottom.

Try not to move my lips.

This was what I was thinking almost verbatim!

So are y'all Japanese, or Jewish? Those are the two cultures I know of that read right-to-left.
  • lostsanity137
    lostsanity137 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I love my Nook and I buy most of my books on it. But if I see a random book at the store that seems interesting, I will buy it.

I am also love the feel and smell of a real book and I use to collect books. I bought the Nook because I live in a small apartment and just don't have the space. Then I fell in love with the convenience of the darn thing. I can read the heaviest of Stephen Kings books without a care.

I carry it around in my purse. I can read anywhere and not have to worry about messing up the cover. I used to be a bit of a freak when it came to my books. Don't mess up the cover, don't fold the pages, must be in order alphabetically by author on the shelf...The Nook is my recovery from that insanity. lol
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I have got in to reading in the last few years and although I am an utter techno geek, there is nothing like the feel of a real book in your hands!

I am a bit of a collector too so once I have read the book, on the shelf it goes until the next time I fancy picking it up! I have a bit of way to go to overtake wy wifes DVD collection but I'm getting there! :happy:
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I love traditional paper books. We have two rooms full of books in our house, and those are just the keepers. We've passed hundreds on to friends, to libraries and the Goodwill.

That said, I actually have stopped buying paper books. They take up too much space and they use a lot of natural resources. The past few years, I've actually become hooked on audio books. I download unabridged editions from Audible. I can now 'read' while I exercise, while I commute, while I cook dinner and clean the house. I actually 'read' more now than I ever had time to before with paper books.

I know a lot of people are hooked on the feel and smell of paper books. So was I, but I got over it. :-)
  • waanju
    waanju Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    i LOVE the feeling of reading a real book. ADORE the smell, the feel of the pages, the shift in weight as the story progresses.
    That said, I also really like my kindle. I read REALLY fast, so if I'm going on a car trip or airplane or something and carrying several bound books is unwieldy, I'll take my kindle so that, when I finish one book, I can just start on another right away without carrying a traveling library.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    It depends on the book.

I do have an tablet, but have a few e-reader apps (kindle, nook, etc..). I'll download samples to see if I'll even enjoy a particular book. BUT there are some books that I will buy to have in my home library. My son and daughter are also avid readers so I like to have a lot of different books available for them, plus it's always been a dream of mine to have my own personal library. Yea, don't ask. LOL

My local public library does loan out e-books, which I've done. The only thing I didn't like was the wait for some of the books can be crazy if it's a really popular read.
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to my Nook. I got it for Mothers Day last year and I must have 75 books already. I even bought some of my old favorites just to keep on hand. I love the portability of having my library every where I go (and w/ 2 boys I certainly am always on the go). So I keep my Nook in my purse and this way when I am sitting at a practice or doc appointment then I can just pull it out and read!

Plus I read almost every night before bed. I don't have to keep my mountain of books on the bookshelf... so I took most of my books (nothing from my Grams or Classics though) and donated them to our school library and our community library.
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    I love my Kindle to read books. It is so easy to tote around and I dont have the bulk of a real book in my purse or bag. BUT.. I collect recipe/cookbooks, so I prefer the actual book in that situation. I have downloaded a couple of cookbooks to my Kindle, but it is not the same. Magazines I also prefer over the Kindle Magazines. I also agree with the fact that you can get great books for under $3.99, most of the time 99 cents for the Kindle and some of the more popular books are cheaper on the Kindle than in the book store. I used to just order my books from the library, but when I got my Kindle I gave up my Library Card, because I pay a yearly fee because I do not live in city limits. So just buying the books on the Kindle was cheaper than my library card and I get to keep the books.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Maybe thats another reason ebooks work better for me I usually only read a book once or dont go back to it for many years. Its all about the story for me and I read 2 to 4 books a week so I was going broke having to buy real books that I probobly would not read again