RANCH DRESSING! HELP

Options
13»

Replies

• brooke_g0501
    brooke_g0501 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Great tip! I've never heard of these, but I love ranch dressing! So glad to hear about these! Thanks so much!!
  • Tiffeney
    Tiffeney Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I LOVE RANCH ! Hidden Valley is the best , but not when I am watching my calories try this O love it Bolthouse Farms - Creamy Yogurt Classic Ranch Dressing. Surprised know one mentioned it before ! Although I am going to try some other too that I just read about !!
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    You have gotten so many good tips.

I think this one has been said but put your salad in a BIG bowl and toss and toss and toss. Then you can put it on your salad plate. It really cotes the salad well
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I make my own and mix it with kraft olive oil mayo and low fat buttermilk, and I love it. I also use the mix as seasoning in other recipes. You can adjust it to your taste.

15 saltine crackers
    2 cups dried parsley
    1/2 cup instant minced onion
    2 tablespoons dry dill weed
    1/4 cup onion salt
    1/4 cup garlic salt
    1/4 cup onion powder
    1/4 cup garlic powder
    1 tablespoon ground black pepper (I leave this out)

In a blender or food processor puree crackers, parsley, onion and dill to a fine powder. Add the remaining ingredients and mix. Store for up to 1 year in airtight container.
    1 1/2 heaping tablespoons = 1 packet of dressing
    To make salad dressing, add one packet to 1 cup mayo and 1 cup buttermilk.
  • ingbaden
    Options
    I like the Kraft light both the regular and the light 3 cheese ranch. I dip my fork in the dressing and then spear the salad to cut down on how much I use.
  • MaryIM
    MaryIM Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    My favorite dressing is Good Seasons Zesty Italian. I make it from the powdered mix and have modified the recipe on the packet: use balsamic vinegar (instead of white vinegar) and I increase the amount of water in the recipe and reduce the amount of oils. I use olive oil and canola oil.
  • lhatter
    lhatter Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    A Great thing to do is also put your dressing on the side in small bowl and then dip your fork in dressing and then spear your salad. You barely use any dressing at all but each bite tatse like its got a lot on there. Its helped me anyway and I dont have to use the fat free/ low cal dressing either because I do this.
  • Yellowstonegirl
    Yellowstonegirl Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    A good homemade pico di gallo is good on salads. Chopped tomatoes, jalapenos, red onions and cilantro, mixed with lime juice and kosher salt. It just adds some extra vegetables but the salty lime juice gives the salad that extra flavor like dressing. The calories should be very low, however, the sodium may be a little high.
  • leavingfat
    leavingfat Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer: I haven't tried this, so I'm not sure how good it is. But I've made a lot of other things from her blog, and I've loved all of them. It might be worth a try.

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/06/02/crazy-good-ranch-dressing/
  • mdelcott
    mdelcott Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I use salsa, or if your a mustard fan (which I totally am) dijion mustard or and kind of pimped out variety is great an a salad
  • EuroReady
    EuroReady Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Someone said cottage cheese, which I totally agree with. While it doesn't taste a thing like ranch, if it is the slathering aspect you want than this is great. A little bit of cottage cheese will coat everything! Throw in some dried cranberries and its perfect.
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Make your own Low Fat Ranch from this recipe (from allrecipes.com)
    Mix the following and let chill for at least 30 minutes.
    16 servings @ 40 calories each (about 2 g of fat/serving)

Ingredients:
    1 1/3 cups low-fat buttermilk (less if you like it thicker)
    2/3 cup low-fat mayonnaise
    2/3 cup low-fat sour cream
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    2 teaspoons chopped fresh chives
    2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill
    2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • Paxnyokes
    Paxnyokes Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Squeeze lemon, add balsamic vinegar or a little bit of olive oil, salt and pepper. You can tweak this any way you want. Sometimes I add crushed cilantro or basil. Once you make yours, you can't go back to store bought.
  • jenna715
    jenna715 Posts: 201
    Options
    I also use salsa, its really good. Tonight I put a little bit of black beans on it as well..and with the salsa it was fabulous.
  • nk17
    nk17 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Walden's Farms makes a great calorie-free Ranch. It's usually over by the lettuce or on the diet aisle rather than with all the other dressings. Ask the grocer. I love their Italian best.