No exercise, Just sticking to cals?

Options
Hi all, I was just wondering if anybody was losing weight just by sticking to the cals that were given to them?

Obviously I know that exercise is a big part in losing weight but i need to get my head around giving myself the time to exercise as i feel that im constantly on the go.

I do 3 school runs 4 days a week (9am, 12.30 and 3.30) in between those times i am doing housework, Making lunches, ironing etc, After the kids are home from school its time to cook dinner, Get them washed and ready for bed and after they are in bed all i want to do is chill out! Its also hard because my 19 yr old step son is living with us now and well, I dont like exercising in front of my husband let alone my step son!!

I really want to start jogging, I think im gonna have to start doing this at around half 4-5 in the morning as my kids are usually up no later than 6 but i dont like going out in the dark on my own (sad for a 25 yr old woman i know lol!!)

Sorry if this seems like a bit of a ramble but any tips on anything in this thread would be appreciated!

Anna xx

Replies

• jess_blonde
    jess_blonde Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I've lost 12lbs just sticking to my calories with a few workout days scattered over the last few months.

I just finished nursing school and am studying for my licensing exam so I have little to no time to work out. It's also cold/rainy/snowy/gross where I live and I can't afford a gym membership until I start my job next month. So I stick to my calories and when I can manage it, I throw in a walk (I HATE jogging....seriously hate it) and I plan on getting a membership to a 24hr gym next month when I start work (yay shift work).

So you can do it! Plus, housework can count as exercise! I don't blame you for not wanting to jog in the dark, I wouldn't want to either (which is the reason I'm getting a memebership to a 24hr gym, I can go there any time and it is always staffed, much less scary than outdoors). If you do run outside, especially in the dark, stick to well lit, public areas, bring a cell phone and carry mace (or any other form of protection that is legal in your area and you're comfortable carrying!)
  • MarinaPacheco
    MarinaPacheco Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Yes it is entirely possible and what I did in my first 2 months, but you'll find that you start noticing all the other MFP'ers doing fun stuff and start wondering about it. Things like C25K (Couch to 5K) crops up a lot and is a very easy way to get into running. So in the end you'll probably land up taking up some activity, especially as it gives you a few extra calories to play around with food wise :smile: .
  • avg1986
    avg1986 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply, I have a gym litterally 2 mins walk from me but with my husband in and out of work its just a no go at the moment! I live in a block of flats which opens up onto a huge field so it would be ideal to go for a jog during the day which im really gonna have to start doing!

I think I am talking myself into just finding an hour at any time during the day to go for a jog and i need to stick to it.

I'm hoping that once spring/summer comes round and it gets light earlier i will have more of a time frame to fit a jog into!

Thanks again x
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Low cal no exercise.
  • starscapenatasha
    Options
    I exercise when I can, but it's sporadic. Sometimes I go 6 days a week, others none at all. I'm a full time college student (Majors Biology/Chemistry, Minors Math/Physics) and I work two jobs so I go when I have time. Otherwise, I stick to my allotted calories. I've lost 33 pounds since I started MFP on October 9th. So yes, it is possible.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    There's actually quite a bit of research out there that shows that exercise doesn't help you lose weight. It's good for you, obviously, but nutrition is what you need to focus on. You can lose weight without exercising. You cannot lose weight without being mindful of your food intake.
  • Mama_CAEI
    Mama_CAEI Posts: 235
    Options
    Recent reviews of data have shown that weight loss is something like 80% what you eat and 20% exercise.

I have lost 41 lbs with only counting my calories. I have finally plateaued and am starting to incorporate exercise into my day. I have started C25k this week, got EA Active 2 for Wii for Christmas (though the leg sensor was defective, so I need to exchange it) and want to do Jillian's 30 Day Shred. Hopefully that will get my past my plateau to my last 5 lbs. :happy:
  • sars_68
    sars_68 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    The majoriy of my weight loss has been without much exercise. Just counting calories. However the exercise does tone up your body and that's what mine needs now.
  • visiri
    visiri Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is a net calorie game - so as long as you stick to your calories you will lose. I exercise so that I can eat more. One poster pointed out that housework counts as exercise - so keep that in mind. Maybe put on some tunes and dance while you dust, vacuum, do laundry etc. That's one way I get "exercise" every day, and heck yeah I record those calories burned.

Good Luck!!!
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Hi I have lost 24 lbs by healthy eating/calorie counting. I have joint problems that flair up and prevent me excericising. I am also a sedentary worker. I excercise when I am able and I enjoy it and wish I could do more.

But I have heard people on here say that losing weight is more down to calories than excercise but of course the excercise improves tone, increases stamina and strength and helps to burn calories so it is better if you can do both.:smile:
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Even though I think people can be successful with weigh loss on cals alone, overall appearance benefits from the exercise. Especially with muscle composition.

Can you fit in a bit of strength and flexibility at home? Maybe do some crunches, squats and pushups to increase muscle tone. Add some yoga as well?
  • juekairob
    Options
    I struggle to fit exercise in as well - also have a hectic lifestyle, juggling work, 21 month old twins and a 10 year old so just don't have much energy on a night and mine are also all up by 6 . I bought a treadmill for home so try and steal a quick 10 mins on that here and there which quickly adds up and then also bought some exercise DVD's (found Taebo great to do) and have a few yoga ones that way I can do these at home before everyone gets up or in my room on a night away from my hubby and eldest son.
  • avg1986
    avg1986 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies,

I think im going to write up a chart for myself, Like little targets for the day (3 sets of 10 squats whilst making lunch etc....)

I suppose every little helps, I do need to tone up......a lot :-S After 2 kids, 1 being a c-section and the other being nearly 9lb so my belly isnt what it used to be!!

Thanks for the ideas and the knowledge that its not all about the exercise to lose the weight!!

Anna xx
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    Forgive me if something like this was already mentioned, but you seem to do a lot of moving about during the day already (which is awesome!) What if you bought ankle and wrist weights to strap on while you are cooking, cleaning, ironing, or otherwise living your daily life to increase the calorie burn? My boss sits at her desk most of the day (with trips to the mailbox, restroom, breakroom, other offices here and there). I bought her strap-on ankle and wrist weights from Target for her birthday and she says she can actually feel her heartrate going up and her muscles working now that she wears them while doing things like making copies, etc. Best wishes :)
  • bgillis7
    bgillis7 Posts: 124
    Options
    thats how i lost 13lbs...
    i know it says iv only lost 5
    but i started before i joined this site. and thats all i did was watched what i put in my mouth ( made good food choces
  • MellowYellowGem
    MellowYellowGem Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm the same, I do the school & playgroup run everyday, plus all the inbetween, I do my exercise at night, I'd recommend the 30 day shred dvd, it's only a 20min workout, but works wonders, you could perhaps do it in the day?
  • RayRay1500
    RayRay1500 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    There's actually quite a bit of research out there that shows that exercise doesn't help you lose weight. It's good for you, obviously, but nutrition is what you need to focus on. You can lose weight without exercising. You cannot lose weight without being mindful of your food intake.

I work for a doctor's office and he said the exact same thing.
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Could you get into jogging gear before your first school run, drop kids and park somewhere to get a jog in before returning home? Return home and have it done for the day and get the other housework done with a feeling of accomplishment. I also find that this makes me feel better about myself if I exercise first thing and as a result I make better food choices.

Good luck.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    what about the other day? you said you did school runs 4 days a week? or why can't the kids walk to school with you if its not too far?
  • pukekolive
    pukekolive Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Hi I can see you are getting some exercise from your daily routine but I have found that me time taken just for the purpose of my exercise, even 20 minutes, is a reward to myself.

Also, when you lose weight some additional exercise will help you to firm up those areas of loose skin that are a problem, particularly from the C section.

All the best in your journey