Cabbage soup diet?

Options
2»

Replies

• Silvergamma
    Silvergamma Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Seriously? What you eat each day should meet your macro and micro nutrient goals, and a conservative calorie goal. Getting all your fiber one day, all your calcium the next and so on is crazy. Trying to lose weight fast is a good way to get sick, and have saggy skin. If you want to kick off eating better, try making one change and sustaining it for a month. Like eating a nutritious breakfast every day. Fad diets are a great way to set yourself up for frustration and failure.
  • MollyDukes
    MollyDukes Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Did it many years ago...sure you lose weight...you also gain it back within days of eating regularily. You will be extremely moody and extremely low on energy.
    You might as well just drink water all day and save yourself the $ for the ingredients cause you will pretty much get the same result.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    You don't only eat cabbage soup you add other things into the mix for the day.
    7 Day Plan
     6881Email4175ShareThis11.7K 

Periodically, I will be sending promotional items related to health and wellness issues. You have the option of unsubscribing from my emails at any time.
    I Hate Spam as Much as You Do!

Remember: This diet should only be followed for 7 days at a time, with at least two weeks in between.

Day One:

Fruit: Eat all of the fruit you want (except bananas). Eat only your soup and the fruit for the first day. For drinks- unsweetened teas, cranberry juice and water.

Day Two:

Vegetables: Eat until you are stuffed will all fresh, raw or cooked vegetables of your choice. Try to eat leafy green vegetables and stay away from dry beans, peas and corn. Eat all the vegetables you want along with your soup. At dinner, reward yourself with a big baked potato with butter. Do not eat fruit today.

Day Three:

Mix Days One and Two: Eat all the soup, fruits and vegetables you want. No Baked Potato.

Day Four:

Bananas and Skim Milk: Eat as many as eight bananas and drink as many glasses of skim milk as you would like on this day, along with your soup. This day is supposed to lessen your desire for sweets.

Day Five:

Beef And Tomatoes: Ten to twenty ounces of beef and up to six fresh tomatoes. Drink at least 6 to 8 glasses of water this day to wash the uric acid from your body. Eat your soup at least once this day. You may eat broiled or baked chicken instead of beef (but absolutely no skin-on chicken). If you prefer, you can substitute broiled fish for beef on one of the beef days (but not both).

Day Six:

Beef and Vegetables: Eat to your heart’s content of beef and vegetables this day. You can even have 2 or 3 steaks if you like, with leafy green vegetables. No Baked Potato. Eat your soup at least once.

Day Seven:

Brown rice, unsweetened fruit juices and vegetables: Again stuff, stuff, stuff yourself. Be sure to eat your soup at least once this day.

Sweetie, you don't need something like this - it is a gimmick and you will feel resentful, hungry, tired and probably rather angry towards the end of the week. You don't need to have something this restrictive - find out your calorie allowance and eat FOOD. Good food, healthy food, treat food - eat within your calorie allowance and meet your macros, shake your booty at the very least 3 x per week and you'll be set!
    You don't need a 'jump start' on your weight loss, you just need to start something that you can maintain for the long haul
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    And how do we lose weight people?... everyone say it with me "by staying with in a calorie deficit"!!!!!!! No need for fad diets, crazy diets, pregnant lady pee, pills. EAT A SENSIBLE HEALTHY DIET, STAY WITHIN THE CALORIE RANGE THAT MFP SETS FOR YOU AND YOU WILL LOSE WEIGHT. Exercise is a great idea too. Although it's not necessary for weight loss it will speed up the process and make you healthier and stronger. Cabbage has now more weight loss properties than any other food. Calorie restriction is the way to go!d

Not to mention the god awful gas you would probably be passing after eating all that cabbage!!!!:ohwell:
  • chicpower1
    chicpower1 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I tried my own variation of the Cabbage Soup Diet several years ago when I just wanted to lose a little weight (back then I was actually at a pretty healthy weight! lol) I too LOVE cabbage soup and decided to break myself of my carb and sugar addictions, which were my primary downfalls, but going short term on cabbage soup. What I chose to do--under my doctor's approval--was to eat fruit for breakfast , raw veggies as a snack before lunch, cabbage soup, raw veggies, and a slice of whole grain bread for lunch, a piece of fruit and more veggies for afternoon snack, then cabbage soup and more raw veggies for supper with another slice of whole grain bread. Not exactly scientific but my true goal was to just sort of give my body a break from all the junk I'd been putting in it. I lost 10 lbs in 2 weeks, felt great, and then found out shortly after that this is also considered a "fertility diet" and became pregnant, at which time I gained the 10 right back. LOL! I did enjoy it though. You can do the cabbage soup within a normal, low calorie healthy diet. It's good for you and tastes great! I wouldn't do the actual "diet", but would simply incorporate it into the daily foods.
  • nikkifell
    Options
    It has worked for me in the past. I got the recipe from my mom and grandma that would use it once or twice a year to crash diet. You just have to be really strict with it. Eat only what it says on the days it says too and it works. I love that soup as well. Love it cold too.
  • mrsladybrewer
    mrsladybrewer Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Jump starting only works temporarily. Everyone else has the right idea. Skip the soup diet and just watch your intake. Get a bit of exercise and you will be set!
  • margo36
    margo36 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I can remember my Mother doing that one in the 1950's :happy: but I don't recall her losing any weight
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    This is not opinion this is fact ...Fad diets are a bad idea and are dangerous especially ones that limit you to only a certain food. Cabbage soup, grapfruit, etc...

Eat a balanced diet and exercise

A diet containing very few nutrients is not a 'jump start' its a 'bad start'. Eat a balanced diet and excersize.
  • sarahlinson
    sarahlinson Posts: 19
    Options
    Why do you guys consider it a fad diet? I know on all the days you can eat an unlimited amount of your soup as well as fruits, veggies, or both, and on a couple days you get a potato..one day you get unlimited rice...? Doesn't sound like a crash diet to me. Someone explain?
  • PHATmommy68
    PHATmommy68 Posts: 112
    Options
    From what I've been told 1000 times is that "fad diets" do not work in the long term! Might be ideal for losing quick pounds but it will come back at you and why would you want that? Slow and steady wins the race!
  • EternalJourney
    Options
    You will gain it all back. Believeeeee me!

I did a 8 day green smoothie feast drinking only green smoothies. once i stopped within 3 days I had gained all my weight back and I was eating normal portions.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Tried it and I love cabbage also, but one week of the same thing and I wanted to give up..oh wait I did and I didn't eat cabbage again for a couple of years...yeah don't do it
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Done it. It works. The weight comes back after a month or so, I was even eating healthy and working out after. It doesn't matter. It comes back. :(
  • MisterTEZ
    MisterTEZ Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I tried it once, years ago, but never again! I was puking by the fourth day, Cabbage soup can get a bit boring!.

The way I see this diet as well as other fad diets is this: it's a short-term "quick fix" diet to lose weight quickly. It is not a solution to a healthy, long term eating plan, which is encouraged on MFP, not on the silly diet you are embarking on.
    A balanced, healthy diet combined with exercise is still the most effective and safe long-term way to lose weight.
    If you insist on following this diet Never follow the diet for more than seven days.