Are cheat/spike days a mistake? Scared to try it

Options

Replies

• Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist once told me to follow my diet and excersise routing 6 days a week and reward myself with a cheat day... As long as you are concious of what you are eating and not binging you should be fine. I found that it really helped me, I did not over indulge on my cheat days I ate and continued to be concious of what I was eating... Everyone's body works differently, but I personally found that this worked for me. Good luck

Yes it's becoming more and more normal in the mainstream.
    Dr. Oz now promotes one, I guess Jillian does too.
    It just makes so much sense and it really works.
  • missa5683
    Options
    So I don't really have any cheat days or really any cheat meals. However, I also learned from past experience that I can't deny myself. It just makes it worse. So like last night. I wanted chocolate. Well after 2 hours of still wanting chocolate. I got up and made myself a warm delights chocolate brownie. It was amazing. I also have a cookie every now and then. I've always been told to not deny yourself anything, because it doesn't help. I do watch my calories and I do log everything. Even if I'm 700 calories or more over. I log everything. Then I can make sure I'm not giving into my wants to often.
  • Russellb97
    Options
    Dieting sucks, but it is necessary to restrict calories to lose weight.
    It doesn't suck as much when you have a break every week.

Also I do this as a full lifestyle because I honestly enjoy my pizza and donuts even more now because having it that one day makes it more special. Also they taste 100 times better when you don't feel guilty having them.
    Before spiking, I remember eating my dairy queen blizzard and loving the first bite, and then thinking "what the hell I'm I doing" but then I keep eating, and it's so good. Then I cry, and I hate myself, but I keep eating. Then when I'm done i just felt regret and wishing I could go back and not eat it. I was a mental mess. Trust me when you plan a spike day these foods will taste the best they ever did, and you know amazingly enough there helping you obtain your goals.
  • durhamity
    durhamity Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    when i have a cheat meal, it tends to be very hard for me to get back on track. one meal can cost me 3 days of spiraling out of control. I see the wisdom in them, but I can't be trusted with them!
  • Russellb97
    Options
    when i have a cheat meal, it tends to be very hard for me to get back on track. one meal can cost me 3 days of spiraling out of control. I see the wisdom in them, but I can't be trusted with them!

Your just starting, down 6lbs which is awesome. As you go it might be something you could try later on. Trust me I do understand, it was a fear of mine as well. My first one I had was out of mental necessity. The weight loss that came after was a shock to me.
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    After reading the posts it sounds like it's an individual thing. Personally I don't understand the need to "cheat" myself out of my new lifestyle change. It should be about moderation, as many have stated. A taste or bite of something to take care of a craving but eating a whole meal as a "cheat" I think you are cheating yourself.

But that's just me.
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I just started on MFP, and prior to this did body for life, which had a "free day" or "cheat day" and it worked very well for me. I wasn't sure if I should try it here or just try to stick to my calories everyday, I think I may stick w/ the "free day" once a week.
  • Russellb97
    Options
    After reading the posts it sounds like it's an individual thing. Personally I don't understand the need to "cheat" myself out of my new lifestyle change. It should be about moderation, as many have stated. A taste or bite of something to take care of a craving but eating a whole meal as a "cheat" I think you are cheating yourself.

But that's just me.

I understand it's a personally choice, but as far as "cheating oneself" is a bunch of baloney. The scientific evidence and anecdotal all point to this as one of the most effective ways to lose weight most importantly keep it off. If your leptin is low, a "taste" of something is not going to take away your cravings if your are constantly in a calorie deficit.

This is not a quick diet fix, it's a lifestyle that allows you to get fit, stay fit, and still eat what you love.
  • wboswell88
    Options
    The way to have a spike day is to manage your calories over a week, so that your deficit for the week stays where you want it.

My weekly loss goal is half a pound (1750 weekly deficit). The way I manage my calories is to eat 6 days as if at a 1 lb weekly loss goal (500 daily deficit x 6 = 3000) PLUS all exercise calories), and then 1 day a week, my rest day, I eat appx. 1250 extra calories. This works out to be a weekly deficit of 3000 - 1250 = 1750 calories. Half a pound.

Works like a charm and refuels my body on rest day for the hard workout week ahead.

blessings.

I know you've explained this to death, but do you eat all your recommened calories plus exercise calories? My recommended calories are about 1500 and when I exercise I burn from 200-600. So should I be eating all 1500 and the exercise calories? And on a spike day would I just add 1250 to the 1500? lol sorry i am just so used to doing the typical starve yourself diet that this whole eating more to lose weight blows my mind!

What I do is have a calorie range daily, (BMR -500) to BMR.
    So for me it's 1,800-2,300
    I know that if I eat anywhere in that range I will lose weight, I lose faster lower, and slower higher. This does give me the freedom to eat more on the days I feel I need to. I don't really want to eat my extra exercise calories because I want the calories I worked hard to burn to help me lose more fat. If I just eat them back and replace them, my workout was a wash.

Spike Day I eat 2X(BMR)
    This day I don't exercise, I just take a full day break form the dieting life and have a day to enjoy.

wow that is just amazing to me. lol what type of exercise do you do on your other days? idk if ill have the ability to eat 2x my bmr on the spike day, but i definately need to start eating my bmr calories. i've just been so used to keeping my calories low (around 1200) that im too scared to increase bc i feel like ill gain.
  • dobenjam
    dobenjam Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    So my experience has been that cheat days make it harder for me. Maybe not everyone but for me, deffinately. I no longer do them but I may go over my calories sometimes and that's ok. I agree with those who say this is about changing a lifestyle. When I get to my ideal weight i don't want my lifestyle to be "once a week I eat like crazy". I want to live an overall healthy livestyle where if I indulge once in a while it's fine. Just not common.
  • Russellb97
    Options
    One tip on spike day to keep your blood sugar more balanced is to have fiber and protein with each meal.
  • Carlamere84
    Options
    I love my cheat day, and I'm still losing weight! I don't extremly overeat, however I do eat about 1000 more calories than I would normally. Then I feel fat and exercise like crazy, lol, maybe that's why I still lose the weight.
  • commonly_unique
    Options
    Cheat days got me through the holidays without feeling deprived or guilty. Being able to take a day every once and a while and not think too hard about every single calorie is a relief. I know it's not for everyone though. My mom can't handle having cheat days because it totally derails her for a few days. You'll figure out what's best for you, even it's through trial and error!
  • dobenjam
    dobenjam Posts: 232 Member
    Options

But that's just me.

I understand it's a personally choice, but as far as "cheating oneself" is a bunch of baloney. The scientific evidence and anecdotal all point to this as one of the most effective ways to lose weight most importantly keep it off. If your leptin is low, a "taste" of something is not going to take away your cravings if your are constantly in a calorie deficit.

This is not a quick diet fix, it's a lifestyle that allows you to get fit, stay fit, and still eat what you love.

You obviously know what you're talking about due to your success. I just have to say that while biologically it may work, psychologically it makes it hard for me to lose weight. I feel guilty, I then under eat which is bad, and exercise too much. Then cheat again and repeat the cycle. I also noticed that if I wanted something throughout the week I would make that my “cheat day” and that ended up badly...

My wife and I were talking about this the other day and we agree the reason we are doing much better this time and not having the intense cravings is because we have allowed our body to kind of “forget” about them by not continuously reintroducing them into our diet. There is no science behind this, just why we feel we are doing better this time instead of all the other times we have tried.
  • tbrooke2000
    tbrooke2000 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    A couple of months ago, my son and husband wanted Chinese food so we went to our favorite China Buffet. I chose "healthier" foods (stayed away from the breaded, etc).... but I got soooo sick almost immediately after! My body was not used to that many calories and that heavy of food that I spent most of my time in the bathroom.

I have friends that do a cheat once a week and they are fine. But my advice is to not "over" kill it! Good luck!
  • SolidGoaled
    SolidGoaled Posts: 504 Member
    Options

My wife and I were talking about this the other day and we agree the reason we are doing much better this time and not having the intense cravings is because we have allowed our body to kind of “forget” about them by not continuously reintroducing them into our diet. There is no science behind this, just why we feel we are doing better this time instead of all the other times we have tried.

Why couldn't a person eat only the good foods they've learned to like on their spike day? No need to reintroduce bad trigger foods that hit you like crack would hit an addict - instead of having one piece of fish, go ahead and have 3.... or 4 apples instead of one... big 5 eggs omellet if you so desire - would the effects on the metabolism jolt be the same?
  • b757
    b757 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If you are craving something, have it. I have had days where I am 1 or 200 calories over and I still lost weight by my weigh in. I wouldn't recommend doing it the day before you weigh in though. It really helps me with the hunger I sometimes experience on the other days of the week. My body is still adjusting though it's been over a month. I used to eat whatever I wanted whenever I wanted so I'm not beating myself up over one day.
  • Russellb97
    Options

Why couldn't a person eat only the good foods they've learned to like on their spike day? No need to reintroduce bad trigger foods that hit you like crack would hit an addict - instead of having one piece of fish, go ahead and have 3.... or 4 apples instead of one... big 5 eggs omellet if you so desire - would the effects on the metabolism jolt be the same?

100% yes.
    Calorie restriction causes the leptin decline and calorie surplus causes is to spike back up. The calories can come from any foods you choose.
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Thanks for great info,Russell!

Your welcome, but I love helping. My journey through obesity was my tribulation so I could I could share my story with those who want to hear it.
    I'm not saying my method is the only way, I'm just trying show another option.

Spiking has totally changed my life, from 330lbs 8 years ago to having my bodyfat under 10%. Who would have thought that was possible?

That is amazing! A great way for others to get tips from results. Hats off to you on your total transformation. I have been reading about this subject and was thrilled when the topic came about. I firmly belive in spiking! And it saddens me when people think it's cheating etc..Once the body and how it works is mastered,It all becomes more clear. Enjoyed reading the info:-)
  • sunshinestate
    sunshinestate Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    So you "cheating" experts - if my BMR is around 1450, would I have one day where I could log up to 2900 calories, given I hit the gym with a fury the next day? I don't want my metabolism to crap out on me. I have a sedentary job now and I'm turning 32 in a few months!