Calling all Americans!!

Options
2»

Replies

• Cinnamon_Kisses
    Options
    If you have time swing down to New Orleans.

Yes, we're defo going to New Orleans, that was the first place I said we HAD to go to. We set aside 3 days for Washington DC, but a few people have said that there's not that much to see there?
  • MargieM
    MargieM Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    I think every American on here is going to tell you what great things their state offers. Well, maybe not those of us from Indiana, because, well, it can be a bit boring sometimes. Sounds like you have a lot of time to explore our country. Enjoy it! There is soooooo much to see and do. If you are out west, see the Grand Canyon, Redwood Forest, the Red Rock formations in Utah, Las Vegas, San Diego Zoo and Wild Animal Park. Midwest - check out the Mississippi River, Ozarks, the open plains of nothingness, National Parks in the Dakotas, the Magnificent Mile in Chicago. South - New Orleans (Mardi Gras if you can time it right), Atlanta, Florida, all the southern states are wonderful, especially in the winter. East Coast has a lot of history as the beginnings of our country. Philadelphia, Virginia, the Carolinas, even those New England States have something to offer (SHBoss :happy: :flowerforyou: ) I know I'm missing things because you'll find things to see and do in every state.

I also suggest starting in the south and working your way west, then north and back east at that time of year. Winter can be brutal still in February and March, depending on where you are in the country. Have fun!
  • ngwife4life
    ngwife4life Posts: 569
    Options
    I always think of New York City and Washington, DC as obvious for sites to see in the US. I suppose I take it all for granted! I've never been to DC but it's on a list of places I'd like to go when the hubby and I can travel again. New York City was an amazing experience. The Broadway shows are really something else and the shopping was really good, too! You will certainly not have a shortage of things to do anywhere you go!
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I think every American on here is going to tell you what great things their state offers. Well, maybe not those of us from Indiana, because, well, it can be a bit boring sometimes.

LOL I was just going to post to come to Indiana!!! If they're looking for a Nascar race they could come to the brickyard in august. Definetly a sight to see!

If you want to get a taste of american history, you can visit one of the nation's only living history museam, Conner Prairie (www.connerprairie.org) in Fishers, In. It's about 25 minutes north of Indianapolis. it's great you can see what life was like in coloniel times, and this summer they are having hot air baloon rides...so neat!

You will also want to try to check out the Indiana State Fair....I must say it's my favorite time of year! usually the first 2 weeks in August.
  • Girlmom282109
    Girlmom282109 Posts: 2,643 Member
    Options
    See the oldest street in the nation (St. George st.) in St. Augustine Fl. Also, The Fort that is there. I would pass on daytona though. I live about 30 minutes from both and would rather go to St. Augustine. We always take family who has never been here there. I have never been to Boston but I might listen to everyone else. Only because Fl. is really hot starting that time of year. Good in February though.
  • STACYESPARZA
    STACYESPARZA Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Maximus...
    Is this your after pic...cause I gotta tell ya the before one was much more interesting.....:happy:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Speaking as a Bostonian who's been to ireland and England in the winter, Sweetie, you don't want ANY part of Boston in February. Trust me. This year the average temp was about 21 degrees Farenheit (or about -6 C). With lots and lots of Snow. Yuck. And the great lakes are even worse (colder with more snow!) So I fourth (or fifth?) that suggestion of starting south and moving north. Boston in Early may is very nice, about 60 Farenheit (about 15 C) and lots of great stuff happening. If you do come in April or May, you MUST go see a Red Sox game. It matters little whether you follow baseball, it's an event not to miss. Ahh, Fanuel Hall is always pretty cool, and the Public Gardens are a great spot. Oh, and the Museum of Science is awesome, go to the Omni Theater if you go there, it's pretty cool (It's one of the first IMAX theaters)

So Steve, when I come to Boston in July, can you get me some tickets cuz I have had NO luck the past few years:angry:

:laugh:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I had gone here on a road trip and it is a beautiful place.

http://ngeorgia.com/ang/Amicalola_Falls_State_Park

that is a beautiful place!!

If you go down the coast, you can hit so many good spots. I love Boston, and the surrounding area. We like to go into the city for the Italian Food in the North End....so much culture and fun ppl.

I love Cape Cod and Newport Beach RI, I love NYC busy crazy fun fun fun. DONT miss NYC!!

I love Washington DC (for like 1/2 a day:laugh: :laugh: ) and the surrounding area is country and wonderful!

Nags head NC and Myrtle beach nc. savannah ga. I love the ocean and go where ever I can!!

Have fun!!

oh and you will drive right thru my town of Ft lauderdale on your way to Miami. Please stop at one of our beaches, because to me, there are none more beautiful!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Washington DC does have a lot to see. Lots of National Monuments, the Smithsonian Museums (a chain of museums with themes: Air and Space, Natural History, American History, etc.) these are where we keep the "national treasures" LOL. You can see all the government buildings, Congress, the White House, etc.

If you are gonna go, April is the month to do it, because the Cherry trees are in bloom and very pretty. And the weather is just right- cool without freezing, warm without the muggy humidity that comes later in the year.
  • mello
    mello Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Washington DC does have a lot to see. Lots of National Monuments, the Smithsonian Museums (a chain of museums with themes: Air and Space, Natural History, American History, etc.) these are where we keep the "national treasures" LOL. You can see all the government buildings, Congress, the White House, etc.

If you are gonna go, April is the month to do it, because the Cherry trees are in bloom and very pretty. And the weather is just right- cool without freezing, warm without the muggy humidity that comes later in the year.

Thank you Lucky....I was disturbed by the comment that there was not much to do in DC. I was there for a week and felt we could have stayed longer!!!!

There is also the Arlington National Cemetary, Mt Vernon nearby, Fords Theater where Abraham Lincoln was shot.... and if you have the time, take the 3 hr drive down to Williamsburg and do Colonial Williamsburg.....it's wonderful!!!!!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    NC mountains are amazing - that's where I live
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I feel like I have to give a shout-out for South Dakota. Mount Rushmore is an awesome national monument located in the western side of the state: http://www.blackhillsbadlands.com/home/thingstodo/parksmonuments/mtrushmore?utm_source=GooglePPC&utm_medium=PPC&utm_content=mountrushmoregeneral&utm_campaign=BHDSPPCShoulder2008. It's a great way to combine history and nature.

I will warn that S.D. in February is worse than Boston (temps dipping below zero degrees F often, sometimes down to -40). The prime tourist season doesn't really start until May, either, so it may not work into your trip.
  • fiftyandfit
    fiftyandfit Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Way out West!!

If you're doing a lot of sight seeing on the west coast..........

Zion and Bryce National Parks.....more beautiful than the Grand Canyon

Yellowstone is a must

Oregon: Multnomah Falls near Portland

Victoria/Vancouver Island: Butchart Gardens

San Francisco

Seattle: Pikes Market.....throw a fish!

Monterey: Monterey Bay Aquarium and you can rent kayaks to paddle through
    the kelp beds to see the otters, etc.
    "Where do otters sleep? In kelp beds!!"

Lots of great things to do in this country!! If you're on the east coast......The Smithsonian Museums in DC, and all of the great monuments in our nation's capital.

Niagra Falls!!!!

and the list goes on and on!!!:drinker:
  • GraceKelly
    GraceKelly Posts: 7,378
    Options
    When you go to New Orleans, Make sure to eat some of our wonderful southern food!!!
  • ildi007
    ildi007 Posts: 107
    Options
    I'm Hungarian so I know how you feel...People use to tell me "I'm from just outside of this and this." And I'd ask "how far does that mean from this and this?" And they would say "oh, just 4 hours". FOUR HOURS! You can drive through Hungary in 4 hours horizontally, and in 2, vertically!! So I guess I grew up just outside of Austria!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, if you can't come up to my new home, the most beautiful (and biggest ) state, Alaska, than you must go down to the Keys. GO DOWN TO THE KEYS!!!:bigsmile: