How can I feed my family without going over my calories and

Options

Replies

• Klein1475
    Klein1475 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to come across as rude, but fix one dinner and that is that.

With 6 kids, I would go crazy fixing a dinner that everyone would like. I make dinner for the family, I work hard on making something nutrtious and delcious.. My children have been told from the time they could understand, that this is dinner. They have to take a "no thank you bite" That is where they politelyy take a bite of food, and if they don't like it, no comments about it, they can then say, "no thank you". They are then able to go get a bowl of cereal to eat for their dinner, bring it to the table and eat with the rest of us.

Make dinner, serve it to them...have them try it...you will be surprised to what they will soon like.

Most meals I make sure I measure my portion out...tonights dinner was whole wheat spaghetti with turkey and beef meetballs, in a semi-homemade sauce. They all enjoyed it and I just made sure I ate a proper portion....

Good luck with the chnage...the kids will probably resist it at first...but in the long run they will enjoy it.

I agree... I only make one meal also... I also have that policy but I have never called it that... that is cute name... The no thank you policy...
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I don' t mind eating less and looking for good foods but I find that I'm making two meals every night. One for my husband and I that are supposed to be healthy, and high sodium junk for my kids. I am having a hard time coming up with things that the whole family can eat and I can still stay in my calorie and fat levels. I want to reach my goals and still be able to sit down as a family to a meal. Any good ideas on what I can make without feeding my kids separately? Mostly healthy for you foods are not very kid friendly.

why on earth would you feed your kids high sodium junk?

who is the parent? my 4 kids (plus niece who lives with me) eat what I prepare for them. about 4 oz. meat or fish, and the rest of the plate filled with fresh steamed or grilled veggies and fresh fruit.

It doesn't take long to make them eat right. Just don't let them eat wrong.

If you don't teach them now, THEY will be sorry later.
  • MrsJax11
    MrsJax11 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    How about your kids eat what you and your husband eat and if they don't like it they can fix their own stuff.

My mom went by that policy -- if I didn't like what she made, I could make myself a PBJ, grilled cheese, or cereal after I tried what she cooked. I am a very healthy eater now because I tried a lot of things when I was younger.
  • BodyRockerVT
    BodyRockerVT Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I only modify meals for myself, not for my kids, and only because they eat meat, and I really don't.

I can't imagine letting my kids "get away" with dictating food choices. My son has kiwi, carrots, PB&honey, and yogurt for lunch tomorrow. He will eat it because that is what he was given.
  • parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Just like it takes adults time to adjust to healthier eating, it takes the kids time too. Start with little changes, less sodium, less processed food, less sugar & gradually get your family onto a cleaner diet. I eat very clean, my kids eat pretty clean but still get treats, they are healthier choices tho. That being said there are some things that kids are just not going to eat! Sometimes the kids have a fresh veggies plate when I'm eating cabbage, mushrooms, eggplant.... Lol you aren't going to win them all! Good luck!
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Great question! I wish I had an answer that worked for you.

I have 2 kids and struggle with this too.

Right now, I have found a way that works for me - the French diet. I rush to get the kids to school. Last one is gone at nine. I make them breakfast, but have a light breakfast myself (boiled egg, slice toast . . . or just a Chobani Yogurt). I work in the morning, and then break for lunch. But, for lunch I make the family supper. I eat my portion for lunch. Then, when the kids come home from school . . . i can help them with homework and after school activities or park. I am not rushing around in the kitchen, getting stressed out and grabbing for food myself from the hunger of just eating a salad for lunch. I feed them dinner . .. and I eat homemade soup. This week, I made a huge batch of lentil soup. I get on the treadmill in the evening when dad is home. Afterwards, I have a glass of red wine. I don't snack on junk food if I have a 4 ounce glass of red wine.

If you are looking for good meals to make your kids, I sure like cookinglight.com. Just sometimes, I have to add a little more salt to their recipes. Dinner for the kids tonight (my lunch) was pork spareribs, mixed veggies, slice "white whole wheat" bread, and veggie bbq beans.

Burgers - add beans to both up the health benefit & strech meat

Italian - anything Italian kids L-O-V-E

Shrimp - ok, this is expensive, but the kids love it.

If the kids are old enough, make them part of your gardening & cooking. A cherry tomato plant or two, and kids have a blast. For super cheap pots, the bakery in the mega store (Wa*****) gives away FOR FREE their icing buckets. My kids got more into fruits and veggies after growing our own. My son is more of a veggie eater, but my daugther loves broccoli, cauliflower made like mashed potato, and asparagus. Partial victories.
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    I don' t mind eating less and looking for good foods but I find that I'm making two meals every night. One for my husband and I that are supposed to be healthy, and high sodium junk for my kids. I am having a hard time coming up with things that the whole family can eat and I can still stay in my calorie and fat levels. I want to reach my goals and still be able to sit down as a family to a meal. Any good ideas on what I can make without feeding my kids separately? Mostly healthy for you foods are not very kid friendly.

I don't believe in "kid friendly" vs "not kid friendly". I have 5 kids. The oldest will be 18 in July and the youngest is 7. I have never given into the 'chicken nugget/corn dog' mentality when feeding them. They have always eaten what I eat-including tons of veggies, salads and fruit, whole grain breads, baked, grilled, or broiled meats, etc. It's how I raised them-on whole foods. They love eating healthy-my littlest 3 thought mushrooms were called 'marshmallows' until they were like 3 or 4, and begged constantly to have "marshmallows" while I was making salads-my friends who had kids always thought my kids were really odd in their affection for veggies and salads. If you act like the food is "yucky", or that healthy food is "different food", it won't go a long way to help them learn to enjoy eating healthfully. It may take some time for your kids to get used to, but have them try one new food each time you make it : i.e."if you think you don't like it, take at least x amount of bites to see if you like it". I always make my kids take bites according to age. i.e. my 7 yr old has to take 7 bites-she's pretty little, so one serving of a side dish is pretty small-sometimes 7 bites and she's done. My kids rarely complain about food, but when they do, this is how I handle it. Now, some foods people really, really don't like-if it is a food that we have seriously established a dislike for (none of my littles are very fond of stuffing at Thanksgiving, for example) I try to be reasonable and give the kids a small portion of it, and a larger portion of the rest of the meal. They don't complain, they eat their small portion because they know it's the rules. It's going to take time to establish some healthier choices for your family, but it is really imperative that you do. You don't want your children growing up and struggling with an unhealthy lifestyle when you can teach them from a young age how to care properly for their bodies. It's part of our duty as a parent, to teach our children healthy lifestyle habits
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Also, kids love fruit smoothies. And, I read that kids who eat more fruit have lower risk of cancer later in life. To make it cheaper, use the frozen fruits, ice, yogurts that are about at their expiration dates, bananas, etc. My kids are all into homemade smoothies.

And, you can hide alot of good stuff in speghetti sauce. Buy one of those "boat motor" looking hand held beaters you can use in the pot.

Kids love spaghetti. Well, Barila Plus (in the yellow box) .. ...ok, one box food . . . . is made with beans. It's packed full of protein and it tastes JUST LIKE white spaghetti.

Really, if it's made at home, not from a box, and the kids get outside to play . . . . you're doing great.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

Cook 1 meal and everyone eats the same thing. You are the parent. They eat what you put in front on them. Plain, simple, Period.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I've been making meals from the recipes on www.skinnytaste.com......so far so good, and the kids don't even know the difference.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I have to do the same thing.....I will cussed out by my husband if I give him only a salad!!!!!! LMAO!!!!:ohwell:

Wow, if you are the primary cook in the household - then the same rules should apply to the spouse as well as the kids.

Whomever does the cooking dictates.

That is very ungrateful of him to cuss you out for fixing a salad for supper. My husband eats what I fix or if I get takeout even, he eats what I cook or what I bring home. No being upset, just a Thank You Baby for taking care of me.
  • kysassyblonde1
    Options
    I wouls try to tweek some of your normal recipes, like using ground turkey instead of ground beef, I started doing this in spaghetti, chili, soup;s and other caseroles and noone even noticed it. Change some items in recipes to fat free items and I doubt they will even notice, alot of times you can take a normal recipe and just tweek it to make it healthier. Tonight I cooked chili and used lean ground turkey and served it will fat free crackers and noone knew they didnt have beef or regular crackers!!!!
  • Blackbetty01
    Blackbetty01 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks to those who truely read this message as a person trying to change the way I do things for the better. So some of you, thanks for the judgements, I'm glad you are all so perfect. This is really hard to break and it's not gonna happen over night, I'm not stupid. I wanted ideas to break the cycle not be condenmed for things I've done. This is only the beginning of my road.
  • rahonda28
    Options
    Hey be nice people at least she is asking for advice unlike some people Im sure you know who need to get healthy but dont do anything about it. I am in a simular situation but its my husband to be that doesnt eat healthy the rest of us do. I make deserts and use unsweetened applesause for oil in my baking and I use cuts of meat from venison (one its free from our many hunting friends and two its leaner than beef) or turkey, chicken, buffelo if you want WHEN ITS GROUND IT LOOKS LIKE HAMBERGER. Then I season it with Mrs.Dash hamberger flavored seasoning. 0 calories. Now it tastes like hamberger. Make tatertot hotdish but use low sodium mushroom soup and only put on half of the tatertots then usual so there are spaces now you cut starch in half calories per serving in half. Make hambergers the same and spagetti with white bean pasta (looks and tastes like regular pasta but is better for you and comes in lots of shapes) green been caserole. Just keep trying you made the first step keep it up
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    OP, i'd hate to see you not want to post in the forums because of the response you got. I really don't think anyone was trying to attack you...I think your wording in the original post was a bit...awkward, saying you feed your children "high sodium junk". I think people just kind of didn't know how to react to that. I didn't post in judgement, I was trying to give you some ideas, as a mother of several children myself, on what I do if my children don't want to eat something. It will get easier for both you and your family and you keep on keepin' on. I hope you can glean this thread and take what you can use, and leave the rest behind. :heart:
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Wow, you got more than you bargained for with those responses, huh?

My hubby won't eat anything healthy. He hates veggies and such. This makes it difficult for us to all eat the same things. So, what I do is make enough veggie for me to fill my plate with and join in with the rest of them, but have a smaller portion of the higher calorie items.

Hang in there! After making more and more types of veggie, I have found a wider variety of vegetables that they like. Try roasting them with olive oil and sea salt... that makes them sweeter and tastier.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Thanks to those who truely read this message as a person trying to change the way I do things for the better. So some of you, thanks for the judgements, I'm glad you are all so perfect. This is really hard to break and it's not gonna happen over night, I'm not stupid. I wanted ideas to break the cycle not be condenmed for things I've done. This is only the beginning of my road.

I can understand kids can be difficult but I think the idea that you should cook one meal is a good one, if the kids don't like it they can go without, they won't starve. Your kids need to break their high salt/sugar/fat stuff as well for their long term health. You can make plenty of tasty stuff that kids like as well. Bolognese for example, you can pack full of veggies, blend it up and it is super duper tasty.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Well I could help you better if I knew what you eat and what they eat... I could help you modify from there. PM me if you would like me help out!
  • sonyapowell
    sonyapowell Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    after four pages of advice.....i am sure you got the idea! Let me tell you as a provider in a busy ER i can assure you if you do not take the "bull by the horns" now, it will never get any easier and you will live to regret it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,584 Member
    Options
    Kids will eat if hungry. They can learn to like the foods you make if you're consistent in serving it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition