Balsamic Vinegar ideas

Options
13»

Replies

• jennc829
    jennc829 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I like to cook chicken with onions and apples in balsamic vinegar. Put in the onions and peeled and diced onions and sautee until the onions are getting clear and the apples are just starting to break down then put in the chicken...then douse with balsamic vinegar....when it hits the pan, it is going to smell really strong, but it is soooo good!
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I use balsamic on soooo many things. It's delicious.

Here's a glazed eggplant dish I did recently:

http://happygoodtime.com/2012/01/10/grilled-eggplant-steaks-with-spicy-hoisin-and-balsamic-glaze/

If eggplant's not your thing, the sauce tastes excellent on chicken and broccoli as well =)
  • KatieCuth
    KatieCuth Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    its also nice splashed over mashed sweet potato... mmmmmmmm balsamic, love the white one also.
  • kyoules
    kyoules Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I also love balsamic and now I'm dreaming of a caprese salad (tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, fresh basil, olive oil, balsamic, salt, and pepper). Can't wait for summer and its ripe, homegrown tomatoes! I refuse to eat tasteless, pathetic, winter tomatoes.

I also love a balsamic reduction on grilled peaches.
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I make a super easy balsamic chicken with it. I brown 5 chicken breasts with a small amount of olive oil, then add 1/2 cup of balsamic vinegar and a can of diced tomatoes to the pan. Cover and braise for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.

I make lots of additions to this, depending on what I have on hand or am in the mood for. I almost always add 1/2 an onion and 3 cloves of garlic. Plus, I often add fresh herbs like thyme, basil, or oregano (sometimes I use the Italian-seasoned diced tomatoes as well, to add more of those flavors).
  • Candida1983
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/balsamic-roasted-red-potatoes/

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/chicken-breasts-with-balsamic-vinegar-and-garlic/ For this one, it says to rinse the mushrooms. Mushrooms absorb water, so I would just take a wet paper towel and wipe them off really well that way. :bigsmile:

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/27820/balsamic+steak+with+warm+semi+dried+tomato+and+garlic+crouton+salad

***Recipe: Balsamic Tomato Salad
    2 beefsteak tomatoes, sliced
    1/2 sweet onion, chopped
    1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
    4 oz. crumbled gorgonzola
    Balsamic vinegar
    Virgin olive oil
    Freshly ground salt and pepper

Arrange tomato slices on a small platter. Sprinkle with chopped onion, basil, and gorgonzola.

Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Add freshly ground salt and pepper according to taste. --Cruets.com

****Recipe: Herb and Tomato Bruschetta w/Balsamic Vinegar
    1 1/2 lb plum tomatoes, chopped
    1/3 c chopped fresh basil leaves
    1 tbsp chopped garlic
    1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano leaves
    1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1 tsp fresh lemon juice
    6 thick slices of crusty bread, toasted

Mix tomatoes, herbs and liquids in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Can be prepared 2 hours ahead. Hold at room temperature.

Spoon tomato mix onto toast and serve. --balsamic.com

***Recipe: Balsamic-Caramel Sauce over Vanilla Ice Cream
    1 cup heavy cream
    1 cup granulated sugar
    2 tablespoons water, plus more for brushing
    4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
    1 lemon, juiced
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 quarts vanilla ice cream

Bring cream just to a boil in a small saucepan over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and keep the cream warm.

In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, dissolve the sugar with 2 tablespoons of water. As the sugar mixture begins to bubble, watch for crystals developing on the inside of the pan just above the liquid. Using a pastry brush dipped in water, brush the inside of the pan right above the crystals so the water drips down and dissolves the crystals back into the liquid. When the sugar begins to brown, occasionally move the pan to swirl the liquid gently and cook it evenly.

Continue to cook until the mixture is dark golden brown. The total cooking time will be 8 to 9 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat.

Very carefully add the hot cream to the sugar mixture a few tablespoons at a time. Stir the sauce and cook for 1 minute. Add the vinegar, lemon juice and 1/2 teaspoon salt, mix well. Pour into a heatproof bowl. You should have about 1 1/4 cups of sauce.

Serve on top of vanilla ice cream. --foodnetwork.com

***Recipe: Panna Cotta with Balsamic Strawberries
    1/2 packet unflavored gelatin powder
    1 1/2 tablespoons cold water
    1 1/2 cups heavy cream, divided
    1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
    1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    1/2 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
    1/3 cup sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
    4 cups sliced fresh strawberries
    2 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    Freshly grated lemon zest, for serving

In a small bowl, sprinkle the gelatin on 1 1/2 tablespoons of cold water. Stir and set aside for 10 minutes to allow the gelatin to dissolve.

In a medium bowl, whisk together 3/4 cup of the cream, the yogurt, vanilla extract, and vanilla bean seeds.

Heat the remaining 3/4 cup of cream and the 1/3 cup of sugar in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Off the heat, add the softened gelatin to the hot cream and stir to dissolve.

Pour the hot cream-gelatin mixture into the cold cream-yogurt mixture and stir to combine. Pour into 4 (6 to 8-ounce) ramekins or custard cups and refrigerate uncovered until cold. When the panna cottas are thoroughly chilled, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

Combine the strawberries, balsamic vinegar, 1 tablespoon sugar, and pepper 30 minutes to 1 hour before serving. Set aside at room temperature.

To serve, run a small knife around each dessert in the ramkein and dip the bottom of each ramekin quickly in a bowl of hot tap water. Invert each ramekin onto a dessert plate and surround the panna cotta with strawberries. Dust lightly with freshly grated lemon zest and serve. --foodnetwork.com

Hope this gets you started! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • Iamkim73
    Iamkim73 Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Not the healthiest option.... But not bad in moderation.

Sauté sliced strawberries in brown butter, add balsamic vinegar, sauté a bit longer. Put on top of ice cream or pound cake.

Freaking awesome!

Sorry if it's a duplicate, I didn't read all the replys.
  • parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Great ideas thanks for sharing!! I acquired some a few months back & have mostly used it on salads but it is great on any oven roasted vegetable too! I will definitely try out one of these... :)

make your own healthy salad dressing? basic balsamic vinaigrette would be 1/4 C. balsamic vinegar, 1 tsp dijon mustard, 1 Tbsp. PURE maple syrup, salt and pepper, and 1/4 C. olive oil. Whisk together all the ingredients except the oil, then slowly stream in the oil while whisking constantly. That will make 1/2 a cup of dressing and last for at least 3-4 salads. Should keep in the fridge for a week.
    Feel free to sub honey or agave for the maple syrup, it works well too. Also, if you have a bit of onion or garlic leftover, chop it finely and add to the dressing.
    you can also make a balsamic vinegar reduction. just put a good amount in a saucepan, heat to boiling stirring constantly for about 5 minutes or so (you might have to play with the time before you get it just right) then let it cool. it will thicken to a syrup consistency and will be so sweet you'll be amazed. it's great as a dressing, a glaze or a dip for veggies! so delicious!
    Love this on fish or chicken too!
    i put it on my salads with some herbs and olive oil...it's delicious. and a bit addicting. also i like to steam or roast veggies with some.

+1

Other tips, use it for a bread dip, 1 part olive oil, 1.5 parts balsamic.

Add a few tablespoons to your tomato sauce while cooking for both sweetness and richness.

Experiment with marinades: lemon juice, garlic, balsamic and a bit of olive oil is great for chicken or beef. I am sure veggies will work great too.

I also like to add it too beans! Bean soup or cooked lentils or black beans.
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Half an avocado

slice into squares with a knife, but don't puncture the skin

sprinkle a tiny bit of salt, fill the part where the seed was with balsamic

eat with a spoon... omg amazing!
  • Candida1983
    Options
    Yummy :bigsmile:
  • Candida1983
    Options