QUESTION: How in the world ?

Options
Judway
Judway Posts: 246 Member
I am amazed at the amount of people that have huge weight losses (170lbs. and more) in 1 year.
say at 180lbs. that works out to be almost 4lbs. a week with no gains.. My question is how is that done ?
I also say congratulations to all that have...

Replies

• AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    I wonder this as well... Mostly because they have a lot to lose? The more to lose the 'faster' you take it off???? Just grasping at straws here while I await some answers too! :flowerforyou:
  • Judway
    Options
    Amber I have as much as them to lose and i struggle
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    Well, as I said, just grasping at straws :wink: I hear you though. My bf had a bit over 100 to lose and the 40 that she has lost has taken her more than 8 months and she struggles every day... That's why I am excited to hear some of the responses to this as well:smile:
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    It could be a lot of things - perhaps they are on a medically supervised liquid diet, which will help you lose a LOT of weight in a very short amount of time, or maybe they had gastric bypass and are not advertising that here.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    I averaged about 10 pounds a month while I was losing, but I am not sure I have any real answers for you.
    Even the Trainers at the Gym were amazed.
    All I can tell you is that I was consistent about my Exercise--5 or 6 days a week for at least 60 minutes a day. And I made small dietary changes that I knew I could live with but I was Consistent about them. The only thing I gave up entirely was Pop of ALL kinds. And I did limit everything White, except Milk. Very seldom does anything white find it's way to my plate.
    BTW, when I am at the Gym I don't kill myself. I do NOT Believe in working out to the point you are in Pain or Crying!! I do work hard, but the Trainers are always fussing because I do not sweat enough. But I do make sure I am pushing the machines as hard as I can, and I am ALWAYS moving. And, I ONLY weighed myself Once A Month, At the Gym.
    :heart: Hope this helps!
  • Judway
    Options
    It could be a lot of things - perhaps they are on a medically supervised liquid diet, which will help you lose a LOT of weight in a very short amount of time, or maybe they had gastric bypass and are not advertising that here.

yes i wondered about that thanks
  • Judway
    Options
    I averaged about 10 pounds a month while I was losing, but I am not sure I have any real answers for you.
    Even the Trainers at the Gym were amazed.
    All I can tell you is that I was consistent about my Exercise--5 or 6 days a week for at least 60 minutes a day. And I made small dietary changes that I knew I could live with but I was Consistent about them. The only thing I gave up entirely was Pop of ALL kinds. And I did limit everything White, except Milk. Very seldom does anything white find it's way to my plate.
    BTW, when I am at the Gym I don't kill myself. I do NOT Believe in working out to the point you are in Pain or Crying!! I do work hard, but the Trainers are always fussing because I do not sweat enough. But I do make sure I am pushing the machines as hard as I can, and I am ALWAYS moving. And, I ONLY weighed myself Once A Month, At the Gym.
    :heart: Hope this helps!
  • Judway
    Options
    yes this helps a lot although I would never lose 2-3 lbs. each week i know that from experience i am a very slowwww loser .....and a sore one heheheh NOT
  • Yarrum84
    Yarrum84 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I guess that's the minority?

Plus the heavier you are the quicker you can lose it by changing small things. If they've decided to change it drastically then they'll lose more.

I aim for 2-3lbs per week but it wont happen every week, I'll end up getting stuck and hovering lol
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I am amazed at the amount of people that have huge weight losses (170lbs. and more) in 1 year.
    say at 180lbs. that works out to be almost 4lbs. a week with no gains.. My question is how is that done ?
    I also say congratulations to all that have...

Being totally devoted to making behavior changes regarding food.
    Being totally focused on getting rid of the bad foods out there (I dont want to hear from the moderation police on this) and only focusing on healthier options and choices with food
    Staying committed to working on exercise as a regular course of action

Not creating excuses for yourself on why this and why that. Just admit and acknowledge and get back up on your own two feet and get moving in that direction from where you fell off from.

Being honest with yourself means dont go complaining you arent losing weight and profess eating right, drinking water, exercising, when your food diary shows you eating all the wrong types of foods (junk food, processed food) and you are loading up with the types of foods and beverages that everyone knows will stall you.

For some people, they alone are the reason why they cant seem to lose weight - they dont want to admit to making the wrong choices, but want it all... it just doesnt work that way.

Ive dropped almost 70lbs in six months, I have another 70lbs to go, and if I stay on track, keep all three of my doctors informed of my progress and stay honest, true and real to myself.... I know Im going to lose the other 70lbs...

You wont find one box of frozen meals in my house ever.... you wont find soda in my house ever.... you wont find junk food in my house ever....

Thankfully with my medical background and my culinary background, this transition into 'work-on-me' mode has been really successful.... and having a supportive husband really makes a difference.. that man never knew how awesome chimichurri sauce was until he tried it on his steak...

Come on over, Ill show you what fresh, healthy foods are and how awesome they could taste!
  • cramernh
    Options
    OHHHH

I forgot to mention:

People need to stop complaining if they have maintained for a couple weeks and then a period of time goes by they start losing weight again...

Maintaining is a GOOD thing! All it means is that you have adapted to your current eating habits and choices so well, and have successfully kept a stable weight reading. When we finally reach our goals, youre gonna need to work at maintaining it right? Once you shake things up, maintaining goes right back into losing weight.. provided you make honest, good choices for yourself...

Im extremely happy with the maintaining I did for the holidays... I know that I can maintain once all the hard work is done.
  • Mikesrobin
    Mikesrobin Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My husband and I started our life style change July 19th, 2011. I know it has only been 7 months but my husband lost 61 pounds. I always wonder about people that loose it so fast how is that possible. We are working out 5 days a week right now but we only started at 3 days and slowly built up to the 5 days. He wants to loose 84 lbs by the time we go on a scheduled cruise in June. This would put him at 299 that is why the strange number. We started this knowing it is was going to take awhile. In the past we have attempted fad diets which we both had some luck with but in the end you have to eat normal again.

Just remember it is not how fast you lose but how healthy you are becoming with every pound lost. BTW the way in June the doctor told him he was borderline dibetic and in September the doctor said he was not worried about that anymore at that point my husband had lost 30 pounds.

I guess what I am saying with this very long story (sorry about that) is just don't worry about how fast others lose it or you might drive yourself crazy. Good luck to you and your future weight loss.
  • kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I had banding surgery..was told 1-2lbs/week. But they did say 70% of excess wt in a year. So if you are bigger with a lot to lose, for example I was 390lbs and I went from binge eating..3000-6000 cal a day to 1200-1600 cal a day So it just came off. I lost 150lbs in a year. Now of course its slower and harder takes more effort but I'm also not giving up and I'm persistent. That's how I did it.
  • cramernh
    Options
    I always wonder about people that loose it so fast how is that possible.

It really depends on the circumstances that the weight is coming off. Are they a post WLS patient, like the other poster on the thread. Are they someone coming back from a non-WLS related procedure. What is their current health and what changes from a food-related perspective did they make?

As long as no other medical situations arise, you can lose 3 or 4 pounds per week, even 5 pounds provided you have notified your physician(s) along the way... they can give you feedback....
  • afss07
    afss07 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I was 260 pounds and dropped to about 210 in about 3 or 4 months. There were a lot of weeks (especially at the beginning) where I lost almost nothing! But there were also weeks where I'd weigh myself and suddenly 8 or 9 pounds would be gone. I don't know what the average speed was, but you can lose at such a lopsided pace, maybe overall when you have a lot to lose it goes faster?
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I lost almost 80 lbs from March 2011 to Jan 1st 2012.

Why I lost so much while others do not? I have no idea! But here are some of the changes I made in my life last year.

I drink at least 2 L of water per day plus what I drink while I workout.

I cut way down on sodium. It has creeped back up a little since the holidays but I will get a handle on it again!

I added massive amounts of cardio exercise! Mostly I added biking, I was biking almost every day from early March through the first week of Dec. In addition I was showing up for my martial arts classes about 30 min early so that I could get in 3 - 4 rounds of skipping before each class. (With the snow I cannot bike,. So my NY resolution was to start running. I have started and am slowly getting used to it.)

I stopped eating & drinking junk food! Coke, chips, dip, pizza and Mcdonald's were all but eliminated from my diet. I also, stopped buying frozen prepared foods & canned foods (because of the sodium). Added were salads, fruit, raw veggies, yogurt, beans and multi-grain bread.

In addition, I started with MFP and started logging my food and exercise. At the beginning, it was shocking to see how many calories I was consuming each day. As an example, one of my favorite lunch meals while at work was to order a 1/2 BBQ chicken, with fries, sauce, a bun and a coke. This meal was almost double the 1500 calories that MFP told me I should be eating each day.

My goal is to get to the 180 lbs my Doctor suggests before the snow melts. I am at 198 lbs right now. So this gives me 3 months to drop 20 lbs. With what I accomplished last year, I know that I can do this!
  • 276NoMore
    276NoMore Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Wow, some really great shares here. I was kinda getting concerned because I have lost 10.7 lbs in 6 days (I just started this past Fri. nite, Jan. 7/12). I am eating all "real" healthy foods and am staying in the recommended caloric, carb, protein, and fat gram range. I have not had any gastric surgery nor do I consume shakes or diet pills or any other such things. To all you who posted here who have done so well on your weight loss journey (eating healthy and under calorie goal and exercising) I would sure be glad if you sent me a friend request (it's so nice to get support and i love giving encouragement too).
  • rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Wow, some really great shares here. I was kinda getting concerned because I have lost 10.7 lbs in 6 days (I just started this past Fri. nite, Jan. 7/12). I am eating all "real" healthy foods and am staying in the recommended caloric, carb, protein, and fat gram range. I have not had any gastric surgery nor do I consume shakes or diet pills or any other such things. To all you who posted here who have done so well on your weight loss journey (eating healthy and under calorie goal and exercising) I would sure be glad if you sent me a friend request (it's so nice to get support and i love giving encouragement too).

A lot of that could be water weight. As long as you don't expect that kind of loss every week you'll be fine.
  • joe7880
    joe7880 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    each week i know that from experience i am a very slowwww loser .....

There is nothing wrong with being a slow loser! If you lose a pound or two per week I think it's more likely to stay off long-term. It may also have to do with what your eating and how much your working out. If your honestly doing the right things you will lose weight.

I stick to a few rules that have been working for me so far and maybe they can help you: 1. Drink water, I drink about 2L/day, 2. don't eat foods with ingredients you can't pronounce (and fast food is not food in my book), 3. exercise at least 30 mins a day (even simple walking), and lastly 4. track everything you eat everyday on this site or with your smart phone or both. It's critical to monitor your intake.

Best wishes on your health journey!
  • 276NoMore
    276NoMore Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    sorry, my reply is further down
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!