If I Ever Think of McDonalds Again . . .

Options

Replies

• killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    COMPLETELY DISGUSTING. Thanks for the share, I shared this on my Facebook.

& for the people who said they would eat this..
    "You have to wonder about a food that has 15-32 different ingredients and isn't a casserole."
    Yeah, because having a lot of ingredients is crazy, never mind what those things are.

Aren't we supposed to be here to support eachother? It seems like the only thing you like to do is comment on threads with negative comments. All these people trying to NOT be that over-weight person anymore, and you want to post a giant cheeseburger.. I get your humor, but you need to get off my back.
    A cheeseburger on it's own won't make a person fat. Not sure how you figure I just post negative comments when I haven't even done so here at all. Toughen up if that offends you, is my advice.
  • marleebaby
    Options
    Alright, I'm out of this thread. I'm on MFP for support, not to argue.
    I was voicing my opinion and now I feel attacked.

Have fun.
  • Suziq2you
    Suziq2you Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Dinner!!
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    15-32 different ingredients, I can guarantee that is including everything that it takes to make: bread, meat, relish, mac sauce, etc. Let's use our head's here a bit, people.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Here's a story from a local newcast about chicken nuggets

http://www.ksdk.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=257372

GROSS! I will never eat a McNugget again!

Did you happen to read the whole article? Did you miss this little tidbit at the end?

NewsChannel 5 Clarification: Retired egg layers are used in nugget production, however they are not the exclusive source. Some nuggets are made from a paste, as described above, other nuggets are not made from paste. Ammonia may be used in the manufacturing process, however, most nuggets are not washed with ammonia.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Attacked? Folks are exchanging opinions and information. Sorry of the facts don't jive with the information you provided about the ingredient count. :flowerforyou:
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

Have fun.
    Because people don't agree with you, you feel attacked? :noway:
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    15-32 different ingredients, I can guarantee that is including everything that it takes to make: bread, meat, relish, mac sauce, etc. Let's use our head's here a bit, people.
    Exactly. Thank you!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Nevermind.
  • I can't eat fast food. If I have one thing I crave the ENTIRE menu.
  • marleebaby
    Options
    Attacked? Folks are exchanging opinions and information. Sorry of the facts don't jive with the information you provided about the ingredient count. :flowerforyou:

I didn't provide it.
    it was a quote from the article.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options

Did you happen to read the whole article? Did you miss this little tidbit at the end?

NewsChannel 5 Clarification: Retired egg layers are used in nugget production, however they are not the exclusive source. Some nuggets are made from a paste, as described above, other nuggets are not made from paste. Ammonia may be used in the manufacturing process, however, most nuggets are not washed with ammonia.
    Oh, now you made the article less titillating! :laugh:
  • PeaceLuvVeggies
    PeaceLuvVeggies Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Seen that article a million times and I still eat from McDonald's :)
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Not so fast, Champ....

Here's an article with some interesting results after testing this:

http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/11/the-burger-lab-revisiting-the-myth-of-the-12-year-old-burger-testing-results.html
    The Conclusion

How do you think beef jerky is made?

So there we have it! Pretty strong evidence in favor of Theory 3: the burger doesn't rot because it's small size and relatively large surface area help it to lose moisture very fast. Without moisture, there's no mold or bacterial growth. Of course, that the meat is pretty much sterile to begin with due to the high cooking temperature helps things along as well. It's not really surprising. Humans have known about this phenomenon for thousands of years. After all, how do you think beef jerky is made?

Now don't get me wrong—I don't have a dog in this fight either way. I really couldn't care less whether or not the McDonald's burger rotted or didn't. I don't often eat their burgers, and will continue to not often eat their burgers. My problem is not with McDonald's. My problem is with bad science.

For all of you McDonald's haters out there: Don't worry. There are still plenty of reasons to dislike the company! But for now, I hope you'll have it my way and put aside your beef with their beef.

but what about the cheese?

in the mcdonalds article it acknowledges that burgers won't necessarily rot "By the way, we are aware of last year's experiment that proved that under the right conditions, a homemade hamburger will not mold, either. Very interesting, but note that this experiment did not include cheese."

... why didn't the cheese or bread mold?... weird
  • ZenMomentum
    ZenMomentum Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Voicing our opinions is the number one reason we are attacked :)

Expressing personal perspective in a public forum requires thickness of skin
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    Yes this is what happens with fast food. Not even mold will grow on it it's so fake. Even bacteria don't want to eat it and they'll eat anything!!
    Actually, mold will grow on a McDonald's burger.
    So Can It Mold?

So we've pretty much cleared up all of the confusion, but a keen scientist will notice that one question remains to be answered. We've proven that neither a McDonald's burger nor a regular home-made burger will rot given certain specific conditions, but are there conditions we can create that will cause it to rot, and more importantly, will the McDonald's burger rot as fast as the homemade burger?

The final two burgers I tested were a McDonald's burger and a regular homemade burger of the same dimensions placed in plastic zipper-lock bags side by side. Hopefully the bag would trap in enough moisture. The question: Would they rot?

20101014-aging-burger-7-mold.jpg

Indeed they do. Within a week, both burgers were nearly covered in little white spots of mold, eventually turning into the green and black spotted beast you see above.
    Don't believe the hype! More info: http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/11/the-burger-lab-revisiting-the-myth-of-the-12-year-old-burger-testing-results.html
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    I didn't provide it.
    it was a quote from the article.
    I rebutted it with facts. No personal attacks.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options

And at the end of that article:
    NewsChannel 5 Clarification: Retired egg layers are used in nugget production, however they are not the exclusive source. Some nuggets are made from a paste, as described above, other nuggets are not made from paste. Ammonia may be used in the manufacturing process, however, most nuggets are not washed with ammonia

In other words, they admit that they are just trying to scare people. :noway:

That's what I call "creative journalism" rather than "investigative journalism" (they twist facts to serve their own agenda)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I can't eat fast food. If I have one thing I crave the ENTIRE menu.

I find this is the biggest reason why I have to avoid the stuff. But I will eventually cave and I will buy my kids some chicken nuggets and a cheeseburger. I have never understood why so many try to defame McDonald's and fast food in general. Yeah, there is added sodium and fat to make it taste good... but it is still food!!
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    As someone else pointed out, it's just dried out. I did the same thing with a banana peel once. It dried, never molded, etc.. I kept it on a shelf for a couple of years (I was an odd child). It's pretty simple food (or food peel) preservation folks, not some sort of chemical witch doctoring. I think it's important to think through things before getting on some media-inspired band-wagon about the evils of this or that. And for the record, I'm not defending eating at McDonalds, I haven't eaten there in years, I'm a vegetarian, and even french fries, hash-browns, yogurt, etc. have meat derivatives in them.