So I went to the lady doctor yesterday

Options

Replies

• kendernau
    kendernau Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I work for a nonprofit healthcare organization and in talking with a lot of professionals, there are several reasons doctors do not talk about weight with their patients regularly.

1. Time - with all the newer regulations and cutbacks on payments from both government and private insurance, doctors need to fit in a certain number of patients each day to keep their practice going. This means anything that is not an immediate concern is glossed over.

2. Tunnel vision - If a patient is there because of a cold or flu, they focus on just the patient's reason for coming.

3. Limited record reviews - With so many patients, doctors usually don't remember more than the basics of each of their patients (if that). Even pulling their charts and skimming them just before seeing them won't necessarily remind them to talk about other health-affecting issues like weight, particularly if you haven't had any weight-related issues in your chart lately.

Fortunately, at least where I am, we have two major initiatives that are improving this: EMR/EHR and ACO.

EMR/EHR is Electronic Medical Records/Electronic Health Records, and it is more than just putting all the paper information into the computer. This allows all the available information from multiple locations to be combined, so the doctor can see any notes, prescriptions, test results, procedures, etc., regardless of where you had them (at least for in network - many out of network professionals are not up to speed on EMR/EHR, so their records can't be brought in). The system also automatically flags items for review (which includes weight), and has built in workflows that the doctor has to check off while visiting with you, to make sure anything relavent to your age, gender, past medical history, and current conditions are addressed.

As an example, if you show up due to a sinus infection, but it has been a couple years since you were last checked for cholesterol, it will prompt the doctor to schedule you for a test, even though it is not related to the reason you are there.

It doesn't catch everything, but it lets the doctor cover a lot more in a shorter period of time, and almost eliminates the time he needs for writing up notes, since he does it electronically while he is in the room with you. It also reduces medication errors, as he can electronically submit prescriptions directly to your pharmacy for you - ensuring the right medication and dose is ordered without the pharmacist having to translate his chicken scratch.

The other important piece is ACO - Accountable Care Organizations. This is a new federal program for physicians to be rewarded with a share of the cost savings from managing a patient's all around health (particularly chronic conditions). Advantage: encourages physicians to be proactive in addressing issues that can lead to future health issues. Disadvantage: patients must cooperate with their PCP for it to be fully effective.

TL;DR: Technology and new programs are coming/in place to encourage doctors to cover all aspects of your health, and better track changes that happen.
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I don't have an OB, the last time I went to one was almost 9 years ago when my youngest was 6 weeks old. Yikes! I really should get myself there. *sigh* My endo said something when I was there a month and a 1/2 ago. He looked in my chart and said "Wow! You have lost 40lbs since you were here last! Fantastic job, I am really proud of you, that's awesome!" He went on and on, and even commented on it before I left again. :) I hope that by the time I see him in June I will have lost 20-30lbs more, already 10lbs more gone since my appt!

I haven't gone to see my GP yet since losing weight so I'm not sure if she will say anything, but knowing her I'm sure she will. :)
  • butterflyqueen1984
    butterflyqueen1984 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    congratulations on the weight loss! I wouldn't be surprised though if the DR didn't even bother to take down your previous weight! My doctor doesn't even bother weighing me when I go in and I am WELL over weight!
  • olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    My doctor has never said anything to me, even when I told her I was loosing weight through this site. It seems like the one taboo topic for some reason. My co-worker was telling me recently that her doctor brought it up to her, and she sounded mad that he did, because she doesn't need anyone reminding her she needs to lose weight. Seems like the doctors can't win either way.
  • Kris0109
    Kris0109 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Interesting to see everyone's stories ... maybe I'm more aware now, after MFP, but with weight being such a big issue with fertility and painful periods and everything in between, maybe more gynos should care just a little what their patients weigh. Because I'll tell you what, in the past, any time I went to the doctor and he DIDN'T say anything I took it as an affirmation that I wasn't that bad. Even tho, at almost 300#, I was far from healthy.
  • vicmonster
    vicmonster Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    GREAT job on the weight loss. Maybe think about a Dr that is a better partner for all of your healthcare?
  • firefly171717
    firefly171717 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Well I think its fantastic, and I think that maybe he/she was focused on other things like what your appointment was for?
  • Queenb62303
    Options
    most doctors only ask questions pertaining to their specialty..or the problem that you are there for.. most primary care doctors, who review all your body systems, are more in tune to your weight...
  • thatgirl125
    thatgirl125 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I could honestly careless if my obgyn commented on my weight loss or weight gain or tried talking to me about being over weight (if I was). That is not why I go to him. I go to him for pap smears and stuff like that. Your primary doctor is the one to talk to you about it. In their field that is what they focus on your OVERALL health. Whereas your obgyn is just there for lady parts, making sure you dont have precancerous cells or if you do to get a pap smear twice a year instead of once. Or the occasional breast exam to make sure there is no lumps. Thats all.
  • Mrs_ALM
    Mrs_ALM Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    So went to the doctor yesterday for the yearly lady appointment and weighed in at 217, fully clothed with these beautiful Bandolino boots I bought myself for my birthday. Last year at the lady appointment I weighed 281, just shy of my highest. My doctor really didn't comment on my weight at either appointment. That kind of pisses me off. Anyone's lady doctor do this? Or the reverse? He's been the only doctor I've seen in the last 5+ years as I don't have a GP.

I wouldn't take it personally. I've only had one doctor's nurse (a woman) comment on a 15 lb weight loss. Other than that, none of my docs have ever commented on flucutation in weight unless they thing I have a illness to go along with it.

Congrats, btw. :)
  • kms1981
    kms1981 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    My doctor is my friend on here :) She motivates and inspires a whole bunch of us locals to keep going!
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    My Doc always comments on my weight ..shes very encouraging and always reminds me 10,20,30lbs loss is nothing to make light of and to be happy and continue going in the right direction...BUT I am very upfront with my doc I go with my little note in hand and tell her right out Im trying to reverse bad stuff and ..want to know my lab results and scale reading....
  • thatgirl125
    thatgirl125 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    most doctors only ask questions pertaining to their specialty..or the problem that you are there for.. most primary care doctors, who review all your body systems, are more in tune to your weight...

^^^^That
  • Tuffjourney
    Options
    I was sick, so I called into my GP, she was full but her NP had an opening. I went in saw the NP, who treated me for my illness, then gave me hell about my weight. She referred me to another MD who does Gastric Bypass. He said I needed to follow a low cal diet, he recommended HMR. Which is similar to Medifast. After losing about 70lbs, I decided against surgery and am continuing on the diet. Long story short, I cannot thank the NP enough for giving me hell and saving my life. (NP=Nurse Practioner):drinker:
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I think it would have been nice if the doctor had commented, but maybe she is only focused on your lady parts and didn't even look at the weight (a lot of times they don't unless you are preggers or something like that).

When my doctor (I don't have a lady doctor and only see my regular doctor if I am sick or have a follow up on meds) saw me after I shed about 70 pounds or so, she literally shouted "Holy $#!T" about a hundred times. I've shed another 55 pounds since then and, the last time I was in the office, I saw a different doctor but she said, "Oh my goodness! I am so excited to meet you! Dr. Donnelly told me about your fabulous weight loss!"
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    The only time I ever go to the lady doctor is when I'm pregnant. And that's not a doctor; it's a midwife. lol We always talk about my weight.... but that's because I'm pregnant when I'm there. :-/

If I went to regular appointments and had lost that much weight, I'd hope they'd comment on it....

I don't have a GP either...
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine why a doctor would be afraid to mention your weight loss, any dr! I can see why they don't mention someone being overweight, because they are in an environment now where they want you to like them and continue to see them because they have to sell themselves.
    My ob/gyn remembers what I tell her, like when I told her a started running and she asked me the next year how it was going.
    You should be congratulated, keep up the awesome work!
  • fab50G
    fab50G Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    My lady doctor did that to me too, after I had lost 30lbs and it pissed me off too. WTF?
  • xraygeek
    xraygeek Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    The last time I went in to see my lady doctor was right after having my son. She mentioned that one of her patients was about the same start weight as me, and in 6 weeks, due to nursing, had lost around 30lbs. With my previous son, I knew my body didn't work like that, and I told her that I gained weight during nursing. She encouraged me to loose some, but not drastically while I was nursing so I could still keep a good milk supply.

I thought that was kind of weird and judgmental of her to compare me to another patient, especially after she knew my history of gaining while nursing, but at the same time, I knew she was just trying to encourage me to loose a few pounds.
  • CompuGirl2
    CompuGirl2 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It is the opposite with my doctors. Even my eye doctor finds the need to impress upon me the issue of my weight. Id rather have the doctor not talk to me about it because I already know its an issue that needs to be addressed and they don't need to harp on it further.