c25k how hard is it? Share your stories

Options
I have had this idea in my head that I want to do C25k. I enjoy walking but, but don't seem to get my heart rate up. When I think about running a 5k, it seems like it will be an impossible feat for me to even attempt.

Who of you out there started doing the C25k program dragging your feet, but now look forward to a good run? I would really like to hear your experiences, maybe it will be just what I need to stop doubting my ability to do it.

Replies

• jdbeckers
    Options
    bump
  • nichtvollschlank
    Options
    While I didn't do the actual c25k program, I did something very similar. After I had my baby, I was very overweight. A couple weeks postpartum I started walking on the treadmill at 3.5 for 20 minutes. Every week or so I'd either increase speed or length of time. So then I was doing 20 minutes walking at 4.0. Then I was doing c25k-esque walk/run intervals (first walk at 4.0x5 mins, run 5.0 x5mins, then up to run 5.5x10, walk 5, run 5.5x5) Every week the runs seemed hard but while I ran I'd think of the legs I wanted, the body I wanted, told myself it was worth it, etc. My usual workout now is run at 1.0 incline 6.8 for 2 songs on my ipod, 7.0 for 2 songs, 7.2 for 2 songs, then increase by .1 every 2 minutes until I get to 30 minutes, then run at 6.0 until 35 minutes. My 5k ends up being around 26 mins but I run through 4 miles usually so I'm sure I could run the 5k faster than that. The changing of the pace keeps my mind busy and also helps intensify the workout. I love my runs! I don't know if this is considered a success but hope it helps. Go for it!! You can do it and you'll feel great when it's done. Just ease into it so your body doesn't rebel but at the same time don't be afraid of the pain of pushing yourself.
  • nichtvollschlank
    Options
    Forgot to add, this whole process took about 6/7 months and I'm down around 70lbs. I run 3x a week and lift after my run. I do an additional day of cross-training (usually elliptical and pilates). Good luck!!
  • o0sunshine0o
    Options
    I think the c25k program is great for beginners. I did it last year but I already had a background in running... by the time I hit the 4-5th week, I quit to do my own thing because I felt confident. I think it builds up nicely. There are some great apps you can download so you can listen to your own music while running and it will give you cues to run or walk, and also track how fast you run, fastest interval etc. I think I used the RunDouble app, it was really motivating to have that info!
  • Osu2k1
    Osu2k1 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I started 2 weeks ago (almost). I was worried that I wouldn't be able to do it since I am 281 lb and not a light weight. I have been exercising for a year and doing martial arts for 6 months. So I am fitter than I was a year ago. So I gave it a go! :happy:

Day 1 I walked at 3.5 mph and 4.5 mph for the runs. I know it wasn't fast, but I was ok with that! By that night, I was sore, stiff more like, not sore like weight lifting sore. By day 3, I was feeling great! I was thinking of speeding up but I didn't.

Day 1 of week 2 I upped the speed a bit, only on 1-2 run intervals. Yesterday, when I did day 2/week2, I was feeling good, bumped the speed up to 4.7-4.8, and the walking up as well. Today I am stiff again, but that's ok. I think I might run tomorrow and again on Sunday, so I get my day 1's on Sunday versus Tuesday.

I am set to do my first 5K on March 18. I am scared to do it, afraid that training on the treadmill will make it harder outside. But I am not worried if I walk half of it. I am just doing it to say I did it! Then I plan on doing a couple more over the summer-depends on the $. :smile:

ETA: I have the C25k Pro app on my Android phone and it's great!!

Feel free to add me, if you want to keep up on my training. And you can also look at my blog, where I post the daily info on the program. :bigsmile:
    http://random-mom-thoughts.blogspot.com/p/c25k-training.html
  • maire222
    maire222 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    hi jd i started c25k last week, very unfit & overweight, Im doing it with a running group , its excellent so far. I'v been able to keep up fine, know its early days but because it eases u very slowly into it makes it perfect for beginners. I can now c myself actually being able to eventually jog the 5k, (slowly) I would totally recommend it to anyone. Now if i could only get my eating habits sorted I'd b well on my way to a thinner and fitter me!!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I did the C25K two years ago and it changed my life. Like you running for any length of time seemed like the impossible. I followed the program to a T, and ran my first 5K in Dec 09. I lost 30 lbs during the 9 weeks. I've ran several road races since then, the longest being a 10K. I probably could have done some longer races. But once you get beyond 10K, training becomes more of a time commitment. Right now I'm training for a 10 Mile Trail Run in mid-Feburary. Right now I don't even consider myself warm until I've gone 2 miles.

It's a great way to go from zero running experience to finding your way around the running world, or even if the running world is right for you.

Feel free to add me if you want.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k is great! I started it a little over a year ago, at age 38, having NEVER been able to run before. Within three months, I was able to keep up with my older brother who's been a lifetime jogger in a 4.5 mile race. In six months' time, I was able to run 10k.

I currently have a stress fracture in my fibula from overdoing it (I'm the freak of nature that hurt herself going from running outside to back on the treadmill! :laugh:) but I can't wait until I'm cleared to start running again, and know I'm going to use the C25k plan again to get gradually back up to speed.
  • alimarieban
    Options
    Used Robert Ullreys C25K podcast and it was so easy to follow. In 9 weeks I went from not being able to run AT ALL- to running 3 miles. Once you do the complete run it feels so amazing but be really careful not to over do. I quit running for awhile, went back to it too quickly (started with too high mileage) and really messed up my illiotibial band. Still recovering.... :-( Good luck to you!
  • MrsRawwwr
    MrsRawwwr Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Did it a year ago, ran a 5k. Then I fell off the wagon, so I've started it again this week. It's a great way to break you into running. Sometimes the changes from week to week can scare you, but trust that the program is doing the right thing for your body. Good luck!
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be starting this on Sunday. I am also very fearful that it will be like every other time and I'll continue to hate running. But I've never tried it with intervals and I think this could really be the thing that gets me to enjoy it (after awhile). I plan to stick with it through any pain and discomfort. Tomorrow I'm going to get a nice pair of running shoes. I've already created playlists on my iPod that should get me pumped up. And tonight I'm download the C25K app.
  • jdbeckers
    Options
    Guess I will give it a go...starting Monday, wish me luck!
  • mbrassette
    mbrassette Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Started C25K 1 1/2 years ago and ran my first 5k Thanksgiving 2010. It was hard, but doable. Biggest suggestion is to take it slowly! Don't try to go to fast or you'll overdo it. I went on to try B210k after that and in hindsight, I was pushing too hard and got severe shin splits, etc. I went for it again, with more guidance (from "Running for Mortals" by John Bingham and Jenny Hadfield) and completed my first 10k in December 2011. Currently I'm training for my first half marathon in the spring, doing long runs of 6 miles each week, slowly working up to 10 miles before the race. Take it slow and you can do it! I always thought those runners were crazy people, and now I am one! And I love it!
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I started running with C25k back in the day before there were podcasts...sounds like a long time ago, but it was only about 6 years ago. It was challenging, but not hard...if it's too hard, then you need to repeat weeks until they no longer feel so overly difficult. There is no shame in taking more than the prescribed weeks to complete the program (or skipping weeks if it's too easy...I skipped the first 2 weeks because I'd been doing other cardio workouts for a while). If things really hurt, then stop. I've known a few people who start running too aggressively and end up injured.

Shortly after finishing I ran my first 5k. Maybe 6 weeks later I ran my first 10k. A few months after that I completed my first half marathon. Since then I've run several other HMs, 3 fulls, a few 25ks, trail races, duathlons, etc. Nowadays I'm more of a cyclist than a runner, but C25k gave me such amazing fitness and confidence to try new things. I still really enjoy running and am shooting to become a "Half Fanatic" this coming Spring.

You can do this! If chubby, asthmatic, 30-something me can do it, then anyone can do it! :drinker:
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Thought you might like an update from someone who is just starting out like yourself. I did day 1 on sunday in a couple of inches of snow (I almost let it deter me but decided starting was more important). It was hard...extremely hard. And the next day I could barely move. Today I feel good however...a little sore but not too bad. I am supposed to do day 2 today (in even MORE snow). Unfortunately I don't get off until 615 when its well past dark and has been snowing all day. So day 2 should be hell for me today. But again...worth it...and I'm still looking forward to it.
  • SilentRenegade
    SilentRenegade Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I also just started the program, and love it. I have always hated running, mainly because I would watch all of the other people running indefinitely and I would burn out way before they did, so it demotivated me. With this program, I feel like I can actually accomplish something every time I do it.

I started the speeds slow, though, because I don't want to hurt myself. I've been extremely couch-potatoey for the last 5 months or so, therefore I decided to ease my body into exercise again.

Day 1 I did 3.3 mph walking and 4.5 mph running.
    Day 2 I did 3.4 mph walking and 4.6 mph running.

It wasn't a huge difference in speed, but I did sweat more. I feel great after finishing them. I'm really excited to see if I can actually run a 5k by the end of it. Or even a straight 30 minutes... that would be a huge victory for me.
  • thesarahsundae
    thesarahsundae Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Good luck. I personally didn't like the C25K so I just started running on my own and ran my first half marathon last year. But I hear it works great for others. Best of luck to you!! I love running and wouldn't trade it for the world.
  • jonchew
    jonchew Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I've been walking-only for about 2 months now, but I completed my very first C25K workout today... it wasn't bad at all.

I downloaded workout session podcasts (1 workout session per week) from www.c25k.com, several days ago, in anticipation of this day. The podcast was good at keeping my motivation level up (I've NEVER been a runner!!). Note that these are recorded with a male voice, I found another collection of podcasts recorded by a female at (no www!) runningintoshape.com, if that's what you want. Good luck to you - we can do this!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    There is no shame in taking more than the prescribed weeks to complete the program (or skipping weeks if it's too easy...I skipped the first 2 weeks because I'd been doing other cardio workouts for a while). If things really hurt, then stop. I've known a few people who start running too aggressively and end up injured.
    Thanks for this advice about injury and to the others for sharing their stories. I just started C25K on Monday, and it seemed to go pretty smooth, but on Tuesday was HURTING a lot (although I had also slipped on some ice Saturday and fell on my butt on concrete so that wasn't helping). I pushed through it Wednesday and today was far less sore than I was the first time. Day 3 will be tomorrow, and I will probably try the week 2 workout next Monday, but if it feels like its too soon, I will just do week 1 for a second week to ease into it slowly. I've never been a strong runner, so I want to do it right! :drinker:
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    week 2, day 1 completed yesterday! I do it at night after work, so it's nice and dark and nobody can see! (there are streetlights, don't worry I'm not THAT crazy!) Oddly I have found with both weeks, the very first "run" section I thought I was near-death, yet every subsequent run in the session after felt pretty good! Hard,. yes, but not unbeatable. The idea of running for 3 minutes straight still daunts me, but I won't worry about that just yet, as I'm not there yet! I have downloaded the NHS free podcasts, and they're very good for keeping motivation and rhythm, definitly can't recommend them enough :)

I've never run, not in my life. So far, it's working for me :D